[net.rumor] The Washington Times and the Moonies USA Today, really

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (05/09/85)

My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/09/85)

> My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
> read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.

Also, it was interesting that "The Nation's Newspaper" put up their selling
boxes in the streets of Kitchener-Waterloo without a permit from the city.
I guess americans are above canadian laws......
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

peterr@utcsri.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (05/10/85)

> > My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
> > read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.
>
> Also, it was interesting that "The Nation's Newspaper" put up their selling
> boxes in the streets of Kitchener-Waterloo without a permit from the city.
> I guess americans are above canadian laws......

Canadians are not reluctant to retaliate.  I've seen, in black marker
scrawled underneath the name of the paper on the boxes, "Tomorrow the World!"

peter rowley, U. Toronto

stoner@qumix.UUCP (David Stone) (05/10/85)

> > > My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
> > > read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.
> >
> > Also, it was interesting that "The Nation's Newspaper" put up their selling
> > boxes in the streets of Kitchener-Waterloo without a permit from the city.
> > I guess americans are above canadian laws......
>
> Canadians are not reluctant to retaliate.  I've seen, in black marker
> scrawled underneath the name of the paper on the boxes, "Tomorrow the World!"
>
> peter rowley, U. Toronto

 I hate to tell you this but we are all Americans !

hal@cornell.UUCP (Hal Perkins) (05/11/85)

>> My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
>> read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.
>
>Also, it was interesting that "The Nation's Newspaper" put up their selling
>boxes in the streets of Kitchener-Waterloo without a permit from the city.
>I guess americans are above canadian laws......

They also appear to be unrestrained by American laws.  USA Today installed
vending boxes all over Ithaca, NY (even in mostly residential neighborhoods)
without asking the city.  When the city took them to court to try and get them
to remove the boxes, USA Today babbled about "freedom of the press" and won.
Didn't help their public image at all, although I don't know what it did for
their sales.

One interesting thing about this,  McPaper (USA Today) is owned by the Gannett
Company, which also owns Ithaca's only daily paper, The Ithaca Journal, which
distributes USA Today here.  But the Journal itself doesn't insist on putting
vending boxes in places where they aren't wanted.  I even think they came out
against the USA Today boxes on their editorial page!  (My memory is a little
hazy on this though)

Hal Perkins                         UUCP: {decvax|vax135|...}!cornell!hal
Cornell Computer Science            ARPA: hal@cornell  BITNET: hal@crnlcs

lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) (05/12/85)

> I guess americans are above canadian laws......

Ah, nuts, do we really need this kind of stereotype-paranoia?
--
Lyle McElhaney
{hao, stcvax, brl-bmd, nbires, csu-cs} !denelcor!lmc

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (05/13/85)

> > > My favourite idiocy of USA Today is the fact that their sales boxes
> > > read "The Nation's Newspaper".  In Canada.
> >
> > Also, it was interesting that "The Nation's Newspaper" put up their selling
> > boxes in the streets of Kitchener-Waterloo without a permit from the city.
> > I guess americans are above canadian laws......
>
> Canadians are not reluctant to retaliate.  I've seen, in black marker
> scrawled underneath the name of the paper on the boxes, "Tomorrow the World!"

Also, it's not hard to turn "The Nation's" into "Fascist" - someone has been
actively making this change all over Portland.

					Jeff Winslow

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (05/15/85)

In article <743@denelcor.UUCP> lmc@denelcor.UUCP (Lyle McElhaney) writes:
>> I guess americans are above canadian laws......
>
>Ah, nuts, do we really need this kind of stereotype-paranoia?
>--
>Lyle McElhaney
>{hao, stcvax, brl-bmd, nbires, csu-cs} !denelcor!lmc

Nope, we need the type where U.S. law enforcement officers enter Canada
and kidnap people,  carry unlicensed fire arms;
where U.S. government agencies ignore NATO treaties cause they conflict with
local legislation;

Perhaps not stereotype...

On a lighter note,  I was in the Deep Sawth, visiting some people,
and using their local computer center.  They had a paper recycling
program,  large bins with signs:  "Clean Trash Only".  I was looking
for one,  and asked a student, "Where do you put the white trash?"
The student did a double take,  then smiled and said, "We usually
send them to State!"

Patrick Powell