[net.rumor] How about "Yankees"?

riks@teklds.UUCP (Rik Smoody) (05/20/85)

> >> I hate to tell you this but we are all Americans !
> >We used to be, but the only way us Canadians can be Americans anymore is
> >if we're North Americans - it's just not the same without the adjective.
> I'm not sure how USA people got to be called Americans, we're not
> the first country here. Probably because "United Statesans", "United
> States of Americans", and "Youessaians" sound silly.

I'm inclined to use the word "Yankee" to refer to things of the US.
Any cashier in BC (western province of Canada, for you eastern
Yanks) understands "What's that come to in Yankee dollars?".

"Yankee" may have tarnished historical connotations, but then,
they just may be deserved.

Rik Smoody		- they disclaim me around here, too.
    uucp: {ucbvax,decvax,pur-ee,cbosg,ihnss}!tektronix!teklds!riks
    CSnet: riks@tek
    ARPAnet: riks.tek@rand-relay
    US: 2400 NE 25th, Portland, OR 97212
     or: MS 94-442, PO Box 4600, Beaverton, OR, 97075
    AT&T: (503) 249-8300, 629-1237

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (05/22/85)

There is an old one that goes:

For the rest of the world, anyone from the United States is a Yankee.
For the Southern US, anyone north of the Mason-Dixon is a Yankee.
For the Northern US, anyone from New England area is a Yankee.
For New England, anyone from Vermont is a Yankee.
In Vermont, anyone who eats pie for breakfast is a Yankee.

Kind of narrows it down don'cha think?
T. C. Wheeler

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (05/22/85)

Another thing wrong with "United Stateseans" is that the USA is
not the only country whose official name is United States of ...
(I believe Brazil's official name is United States of Brazil, or
whatever that translates into in Portugese, and I'm pretty sure
that there are others).
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

long@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (H. Morrow Long [Systems Center]) (05/23/85)

> Another thing wrong with "United Stateseans" is that the USA is
> not the only country whose official name is United States of ...
> (I believe Brazil's official name is United States of Brazil, or
> whatever that translates into in Portugese, and I'm pretty sure
> that there are others).
> --
> 				Ed Sachs
> 				AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 				Naperville, IL
> 				ihnp4!ihuxl!essachs

	I have also seen coins from the Estados Unidos de Mexico.

--

				H. Morrow Long
				ITT-ATC Systems Center,

path = {allegra bunker ctcgrafx dcdvaxb dcdwest ucbvax!decvax duke eosp1
	ittral lbl-csam milford mit-eddie psuvax1 purdue qubix qumix
	research sii supai tmmnet twg uf-cgrl wxlvax yale}!ittvax!long

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (05/23/85)

> I'm inclined to use the word "Yankee" to refer to things of the US.
> Any cashier in BC (western province of Canada, for you eastern
> Yanks) understands "What's that come to in Yankee dollars?".
>
> "Yankee" may have tarnished historical connotations, but then,
> they just may be deserved.
>
> Rik Smoody		- they disclaim me around here, too.

Some of the people who come from the southern U.S. are likely to take
GREAT exception to this.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

goldman@umn-cs.UUCP (Matthew D. Goldman ) (05/23/85)

Don't try calling someone from the South a Yankee...  ;-)

--
-------
				Matthew Goldman

Home is where you take your hat off...			Banzai!

Kyllara :	What did you just do?
Moederan :	I don't know but it's going to be fun...

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (05/24/85)

In article <700@teklds.UUCP> riks@teklds.UUCP (Rik Smoody) writes:
>I'm inclined to use the word "Yankee" to refer to things of the US.
>Any cashier in BC (western province of Canada, for you eastern
>Yanks) understands "What's that come to in Yankee dollars?".

I'm currently living in the southern U.S., and use of the term "yankee"
is usually preficed by the term "goddamn" as in, "Let's go whup us
some of them goddamn yankees been puttin brown sugar on their grits."

I'd suggest you be careful about refering to people as a "yankee"
when you are traveling.

A "yanker" myself,
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (05/24/85)

>Another thing wrong with "United Stateseans" is that the USA is
>not the only country whose official name is United States of ...
>(I believe Brazil's official name is United States of Brazil, or
>whatever that translates into in Portugese, and I'm pretty sure
>that there are others).

My wife is a native of Brazil.  She says that no matter what their
dictionary says, Brazilians use [the literal Portuguese translations]
of "United States", "America", and "USA" as synonyms.  Brazilians
call their country Brazil (er, their spelling is Brasil).

Scot E. Wilcoxon	Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.     circadia!mecc!sewilco
93W15',45N03'	(612)481-3507 {ihnp4,mgnetp,uwvax}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco

jose@utcs.UUCP (Jose Antonio Dias) (05/27/85)

In article <1567@ihuxl.UUCP> essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) writes:
>Another thing wrong with "United Stateseans" is that the USA is
>not the only country whose official name is United States of ...
>(I believe Brazil's official name is United States of Brazil, or
>whatever that translates into in Portugese, and I'm pretty sure
>that there are others).

That is true of many countries in South America.  Many "copied" their
constitution from the Americans.  This is a left over from the 50's when
it was fashionable to "go down" to Brazil or Argentina during our winter.

Just thought you would like to know...
--

Jose A. Dias			       University of Toronto Computing Services
     The above ascii characters are not, have not ever been, or will ever

rcj@burl.UUCP (R. Curtis Jackson) (05/28/85)

> Any cashier in BC (western province of Canada, for you eastern
> Yanks) understands "What's that come to in Yankee dollars?".
>
> "Yankee" may have tarnished historical connotations, but then,
> they just may be deserved.

As a bo'n-an'-raised Suthanuh, Ah strongly resent yew callin' me
uh Yankee!!

I love working in NFJ (N is for New, J is for Jersey, and anyone who
has been anywhere near the city and heard some of these morons talk
will know that the word for the 'F' in the middle \must/ appear
inside any double-word noun and inside most adjective-noun combos).
I especially love working on Memorial Day (*sigh*),
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj