[net.rumor] Yankees

schuetz@via.DEC (DTN 381-2647 or system REGAL, GLIVET, or LAGER) (06/04/85)

Officially, a Yankee is someone from the State of Connecticut, not a
person from the US.  Remember Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King E?
Court"?  Unlike a New Yorker, a person is NOT a Connecticutter, but instead
a Yankee.

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (06/08/85)

> Officially, a Yankee is someone from the State of Connecticut, not a
> person from the US.  Remember Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King E?
> Court"?  Unlike a New Yorker, a person is NOT a Connecticutter, but instead
> a Yankee.

Nonsense.  I quote from The American Heritage Dictionary:

	Yankee: 1. A native or inhabitant of New England.  2. A native
	or inhabitant of a Northern state;  especially, a Union soldier
	during the Civil War.  3.  A native or inhabitant of the United
	States.

If "Yankee" meant "Connecticutter", then the word "Connecticut" in Mark
Twain's title would have been redundant.

- a Yankee (definition 1)

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (06/18/85)

In article <2457@decwrl.UUCP> schuetz@via.DEC writes:
>Officially, a Yankee is someone from the State of Connecticut, not a
>person from the US.  Remember Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King E?
>Court"?  Unlike a New Yorker, a person is NOT a Connecticutter, but instead
>a Yankee.

Officially?  By what office?  The definition of Yankee differs regionally.
The sequence I heard went sort of like

	In Mexico, a Yankee is from the US

	In the South, a Yankee is from the North

	In the North, a Yankee is from New England

	In New England, a Yankee is from Maine

And so on, yielding the conclusion that there was but one
person who could be called a Yankee.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/19/85)

> 	In Mexico, a Yankee is from the US
> 	In the South, a Yankee is from the North
> 	In the North, a Yankee is from New England
> 	In New England, a Yankee is from Maine
> --
> Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA

Similar to the name for syphillis in Europe: to the English it was called the
"French Disease" and to the French is was the "English Pox."  It is rare to
find such regional symmetry.

--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

td@alice.UUCP (Tom Duff) (06/21/85)

So can it be that when you Texans go down to Mexico and see
``Yanqui go home'' sprayed on a wall, that you think they're
referring to Northerners?

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Yanqui, wise up!

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (06/21/85)

> 	In Mexico, a Yankee is from the US
>	In the South, a Yankee is from the North
>	In the North, a Yankee is from New England
>	In New England, a Yankee is from Maine
>
>And so on, yielding the conclusion that there was but one
>person who could be called a Yankee.

Yeah, and wouldn't that person be Billy Martin?

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

"So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she is made of wood..."
"And therefore..."
"A witch!"