[net.rumor] "Welcome to X, now ...."

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/31/85)

> 			Native Texan and proud of it.
> 				M.E. Middleton
>
> PS	I really don't really mind Yankees as long as they're just visiting.
> 	Like the bumper sticker I see everywhere ---
>
> 		 _______________________________
> 		|				|
> 		| W E L C O M E  T O  T E X A S |
> 		|     N O W   G O   H O M E	|
> 		 -------------------------------

It is with some pride and not a little snobbery that I point out
that we Californians thought of this [bumper sticker] first.

But you can borrow the idea, anyway.
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/01/85)

> > 		 _______________________________
> > 		|				|
> > 		| W E L C O M E  T O  T E X A S |
> > 		|     N O W   G O   H O M E	|
> > 		 -------------------------------
>
> It is with some pride and not a little snobbery that I point out
> that we Californians thought of this [bumper sticker] first.
>
> But you can borrow the idea, anyway.
> --
> Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

Thank you.  We need it a lot more than you do, now.
                       (-:-)
--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

cdshaw@watmum.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (06/02/85)

You know, there's nothing like a good, old-fashioned bathe in local
Chauvinism the warm the cockles of my heart !

Now that we've thoroughly explored the possibilities of USA residents being
called "Yankees", could we all go home ?? (Or better yet, End It Now)

Chris Shaw    watmath!watmum!cdshaw  or  cdshaw@watmath
University of Waterloo
In doubt?  Eat hot high-speed death -- the experts' choice in gastric vileness !

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (06/03/85)

In article <1589@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) writes:
>> 			Native Texan and proud of it.
>> 				M.E. Middleton
>>
>> PS	I really don't really mind Yankees as long as they're just visiting.
>> 	Like the bumper sticker I see everywhere ---
>>
>> 		 _______________________________
>> 		|				|
>> 		| W E L C O M E  T O  T E X A S |
>> 		|     N O W   G O   H O M E	|
>> 		 -------------------------------
>
>It is with some pride and not a little snobbery that I point out
>that we Californians thought of this [bumper sticker] first.
>
>But you can borrow the idea, anyway.
>--
>Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

Sorry, Gordon, but Orygun came up with the "visit but don't stay campaign back
in the early '70s under the enlightened governorship of the late, great
Tom McCall, who had the road signs coming into Orygun from California changed
to read "Welcome to Oregon.  Enjoy your visit!"

Along with this change was the installation of the Civilian Border Patrol,
which was set up to harass people moving into Orygun from California,
and the ad campaign showing I-5 passing AROUND this beautiful state.

Washington followed suit almost immediately, then a number of other imitators,
including Texas and California, dragged along after.

Hutch

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (06/04/85)

In article <1415@shark.UUCP> hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) writes:

>Sorry, Gordon, but Orygun came up with the "visit but don't stay campaign
>back in the early '70s...

While we're on bumper stickers, let's not forget the one from the same period
Steve mentioned:

	|								|
	|     D O N ' T   C A L I F O R N I C A T E   O R E G O N !	|
	|								|

"I'm not a native, my hair is naturally green."
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::

gnome@olivee.UUCP (Gary Traveis) (06/04/85)

> > > 		 _______________________________
> > > 		|				|
> > > 		| W E L C O M E  T O  T E X A S |
> > > 		|     N O W   G O   H O M E	|
> > > 		 -------------------------------

How about ...

                __________________________________
               |                                  |
               | W E L C O M E   T O  U S E N E T |
               |     N O W   L O G    O U T  !    |
               |__________________________________|

" Hi. I'm Larry. This is my bother Daryll, and this is my other bother Daryll.
         -  We thought you'd like to know the names of your assailants..."

	Gary

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (06/10/85)

>> Sorry, Gordon, but Orygun came up with the "visit but don't stay" campaign
>> back in the early '70s...

Well, if this is a contest, I distinctly remember the impression on me made
by the following bumper sticker when I was an elementary schooler on vacation
with my family back in '69 or so:

		K E E P  N E W  M E X I C O  B E A U T I F U L

				  L E A V E

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (06/11/85)

> >> Sorry, Gordon, but Orygun came up with the "visit but don't stay" campaign
> >> back in the early '70s...
>
> Well, if this is a contest, I distinctly remember the impression on me made
> by the following bumper sticker when I was an elementary schooler on vacation
> with my family back in '69 or so:
>

> 		K E E P  N E W  M E X I C O  B E A U T I F U L
>
> 				  L E A V E

What a bunch of wimps! (:-)  All you guys can come up with is bumper-stickers?
In Wisconsin we have winter to keep the rift-raft out.  And as for who did what
first, we had it installed shortly after Illinois remodeled its basement with
coal.

--

	Barry Buchbinder
	Agrigenetics Corp.

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (06/12/85)

In article <2077@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) writes:
>I distinctly remember the impression on me made
>by the following bumper sticker when I was an elementary schooler on vacation
>with my family back in '69 or so:
>
>		K E E P  N E W  M E X I C O  B E A U T I F U L
>
>				  L E A V E

That's all right, I'm sure that it was directed at Texans.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (06/17/85)

> In Wisconsin we have winter to keep the rift-raft out.

In Phoenix we have the summers.  But all that happens is the Wisconsin
riff-raff come here for winter and then go back to Wisconsin for summer.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{ihnp4,seismo,decvax}!noao!terak!doug
               ^^^^^--- soon to be CalComp

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (06/17/85)

In article <1589@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) writes:
>> 			Native Texan and proud of it.
>> 				M.E. Middleton
>>
>It is with some pride and not a little snobbery that I point out
>that we Californians thought of this [bumper sticker] first.
>
>But you can borrow the idea, anyway.

   Having lived in Texas for a while, and having met people who actually
thought that being born in a particular place made them special, I have
to pose this question:  If I had had children in Texas, would they somehow
be special too?  Whatever your answer, I'd like some reasons why.

--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (06/19/85)

> If I had had children in Texas, would they somehow
> be special too?  Whatever your answer, I'd like some reasons why.
> --
>  - joel "vo" plutchak
> {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

If, as your first name suggests, you are of the male gender, then if
you'd had children *anywhere* they would be special.  Need I say why?
                           :-)

--

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (06/21/85)

In article <612@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>> In Wisconsin we have winter to keep the rift-raft out.
>
>In Phoenix we have the summers.  But all that happens is the Wisconsin
>riff-raff come here for winter and then go back to Wisconsin for summer.

Anyone ever notice that the birds are smarter than we are?

Snoopy
tektronix!hammer!seifert

Utek, consider it better than standard.