[net.rumor] Strange Practices at Harvard

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (07/18/85)

I  heard a good rumor recently.  In the past few years, a circular array
of stones was placed in front of the Harvard University Science  Center.
These stones are affectionately called Bok's Rocks.

Anyway at various times during the day sprinklers within the array spray
water over the stones.

The reason for this array of  stones  with  sprinklers  is  obscure  and
mysterious.   I  have  recently heard suggested that the array of stones
forms some  sort  of  primitive  altar  for  strange  sacrificial  rites
(probably  of animals given the size of the stones).  The sprinklers are
there to wash the blood from the altar.

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (07/20/85)

There is a Unibus controller board that turns the water on and off.
You can also control the lights, and during the winter there is steam
mode. The board is plugged into a VAX running 4.2 BSD (h-sc4).

Great fun to wait for a random TECH TOOL to wander in, sit down on a
rock (they are all nicely flat on top) and then turn the water on.
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

bruce@garfield.UUCP (Bruce Keats) (07/30/85)

In article <290@mit-athena.UUCP> martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) writes:

>I  heard a good rumor recently.  In the past few years, a circular array
>of stones was placed in front of the Harvard University Science  Center.
>These stones are affectionately called Bok's Rocks.
>
>Anyway at various times during the day sprinklers within the array spray
>water over the stones.
>
>The reason for this array of  stones  with  sprinklers  is  obscure  and
>mysterious.   I  have  recently heard suggested that the array of stones
>forms some  sort  of  primitive  altar  for  strange  sacrificial  rites
>(probably  of animals given the size of the stones).  The sprinklers are
>there to wash the blood from the altar.

	One possible explaination is that the people at Harvard are trying
to create another Stonehenge.  The stones are actually Megalithe seeds
(available from ACME Megalithe Co. at a nominal cost) and sprinklers are to
make the them grow.

--------
	Bruce Keats, Memorial Univ. of Nfld., St. John's, Nfld.
UUCP:	{philabs,utcsrgv,masscomp,mcvax,siesmo,astorvax}!garfield!bruce
	your_favorite_AT&T_site!garfield!bruce
CDNNET:	bruce@garfield.mun.cdn

tomczak@h-sc1.UUCP (bill tomczak) (08/01/85)

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo):

>>I  heard a good rumor recently.  In the past few years, a circular array
>>of stones was placed in front of the Harvard University Science  Center.
>>These stones are affectionately called Bok's Rocks.

bruce@garfield.UUCP (Bruce Keats):
>	One possible explaination is that the people at Harvard are trying
>to create another Stonehenge.  The stones are actually Megalithe seeds
>(available from ACME Megalithe Co. at a nominal cost) and sprinklers are to
>make the them grow.

I actually like the truth all by itself.  The (rich, eccentric?) couple
that funded the building of that fountain apparantly donate money to
universities all over the country to build fountains.  When the woman was
asked what she thought of the Science Center's new fountain after it was
done she said (paraphrased) "Oh this is so lovely, this one actually works!"

Bill Tomczak (Harvard University Science Center)

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (08/02/85)

Re "Bok's Rocks" at Harvard:

Although I rather liked Bruce Keats' "seed" theory, the truth is:

Yale anthropologists and socioligists want to study Harvard
hominids' reactions to the 2001 effect. A Stonehenge patten
was chosen because budget cutbacks precluded manufacturing
another perfect, immutable monolith.

Ethereal voices have been heard in the area, but no burst of
enlightment has been recorded to date.

--Jeff Shore @ AT&T, Denver
  ..!druri!jhs

"Ackpht!"