[net.rumor] conversion of u. c. berkeley vaxen to ultrix

jaw@ames.UUCP (James A. Woods) (08/20/85)

#  "there was a rumor, about a tumor, nestled at the base of his brain."
	-- the ballad of charles whitman, k. friedman

to save on systems administration costs, all u. c. berkeley departmental,
student (evans hall), and comp center vaxen are slated for conversion
from bsd 4.2 to dec ultrix.  research (csrg) machines choosing to run 4.3
are exempt from this directive.

   ames!jaw

peter@baylor.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (08/21/85)

> student (evans hall), and comp center vaxen are slated for conversion
> from bsd 4.2 to dec ultrix.  research (csrg) machines choosing to run 4.3
> are exempt from this directive.
>
>    ames!jaw

Wouldn't surprise me. It took the Comp Center forever to upgrade to V7...
they still had a V5 machine running in 1981.
--
	Peter (Made in Australia) da Silva
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter

anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) (08/23/85)

In article <1094@ames.UUCP> jaw@ames.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>#  "there was a rumor, about a tumor, nestled at the base of his brain."
>	-- the ballad of charles whitman, k. friedman
>
>to save on systems administration costs, all u. c. berkeley departmental,
>student (evans hall), and comp center vaxen are slated for conversion
>from bsd 4.2 to dec ultrix.  research (csrg) machines choosing to run 4.3
>are exempt from this directive.
>
>   ames!jaw

That's a good one, I suppose you have a bridge to sell also!

It might be true for the computer center here, but the CS, EECS, and
some other misc. departments are smarter than that.  Costs of running
machines here is high only because of the number of them.  The comp.
center loves IBM so they can do what they please.  A neat utility
called rdist allows many machines to be automagically updated with
bug fixes and extentions.  Better to fix a bug yourself then wait
for DEC which I've heard puts something like "This system call not
supported by DEC" on all the system call man pages.  Can you
imagine not supporting fork?
				Of course, this is all rumors.
--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton

jordan@ucbvax.ARPA (Jordan Hayes) (08/29/85)

In article <1094@ames.UUCP> jaw@ames.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>to save on systems administration costs, all u. c. berkeley departmental,
>student (evans hall), and comp center vaxen are slated for conversion
>from bsd 4.2 to dec ultrix.  research (csrg) machines choosing to run 4.3
>are exempt from this directive.

Hmmm... well, no one here is running 4.2 (well, almost no one...), but
I heard that we were getting a bunch of uVAXen ]['s, and there's been
no talk of a 4.3 port ot it, so I assume that they will run ultrix...

Jordan Hayes        jordan@UCB-VAX.BERKELEY.EDU
UC Berkeley                       ucbvax!jordan
+1 (415) 835-8767    37' 52.29" N 122' 15.41" W

(oops. I guess this posting calls for a disclaimer...)