[net.rumor] IBM advanced workstation

tamir@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/09/85)

It is a well-known "secret" that IBM has developed a UNIX workstation
around a VLSI processor based on the 801 architecture.
It is also known that CMU has one or more of these workstations
behind closed doors.
Everybody who has direct contact with this machine has to sign
a non-disclosure agreement so official info about the machine
and its announcement date is hard to find.

If there is anybody out there who has not signed the non-disclosure
agreement but has information or even rumors about the quality
of the machine and its expected release date, I would be
interested in hearing about it.

				   Yuval Tamir
ARPANET/CSNET: tamir@locus.ucla.edu
	 UUCP: ucla-cs!tamir

grunwald@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/15/85)

IBM came and gave a talk at UIUC concerning a 'proto-type' 802 (CMOS 801) based
workstation built around the IBM PC. No non-disclosure agreement was signed by
any of the people that I know of, so I'll divulge what was said:

Basically, they used the PC as an I/O processor. The 8088 handles disk I/O to
the 802 system through a shared-memory buffer. Even with double-copy (disk to
8088 (DMA), 8088 to 802 memory, 802 to final resting place), the 8088 was not
the bottle neck.

they used an expansion box with multi-megabytes in it. They also had a graphics
board for the thing. The 802 is about 1 -> 2 MIPS if I recall correctly. They
had UNIX 4.2BSD up and running a year ago. At that time, they said that they
weren't going to market the box (but then again, see PC Week from sometime in
late july to early august -- rumors about an 802 based system).

that's basically all they told us, but yes, some prototype did exist.

dirk grunwald
grunwald@uiuc.arpa

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (10/17/85)

What about a bitmap screen? All the rumours I've heard about this
box have made it sound like a SUN workstation with the letters: IBM
on the outside.

Built around an IBM PC? Bleah! A hack on a kludge already...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

tamir@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/18/85)

In article <13900017@uiucdcsb> grunwald@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>IBM came and gave a talk at UIUC concerning a 'proto-type' 802 (CMOS 801) based
>workstation built around the IBM PC.
> . . .
This project is NOT the IBM Advanced Workstation.
There is a totally separate project that is not based on the IBM PC.
While it is not likely that the PC based machine will be marketed,
there is a rumor that a production line for the Advanced Workstation
has been built.  Unless IBM changes its mind (which may happen)
the Advanced Workstation will, eventually, be an official product.

More rumors welcome !

                                      Yuval Tamir

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (10/25/85)

> More rumors welcome !

I've heard that IBM has bought out a lock manufacturer so that they
will have full control over the locks on the doors to rooms containing
their new, unannounced product.

BTW, I haven't actually seen the beast, and the people here that have
are sworn to secrecy, but it's supposed to be pretty spiffy.
--
Dave Cohrs
(608) 262-1204