[net.rumor] Reading Radon

pete@hao.UUCP (Pete Reppert) (11/01/85)

 This morning I heard a blurb on the radio about excessive
 radon deposits in southeastern Pennsylvania. Can anyone
 send more detailed information, like how toxic it is
 thought to be, who did the research, etc.?  Is Reading
 over the "Reading plate" or whatever the term was?
--
 Pete Reppert
 HAO/NCAR

craig@think.ARPA (Craig Stanfill) (11/05/85)

I'm not sure where I read this (I think it either in the Boston Globe or
in Time magazine), but here is what I remember about Radon pollution.

Radon is a byproduct of the decay of Uranium in granite.  It seeps into
cracks and then into the atmosphere.  If a structure is built on top of
the fissure, the radon seeps into the basement.  The radon then decays
into short-lived non-gaseous radio isotopes, which stick to dust, walls,
your lungs, etc.  The result is that the basement or even the entire
structure may become quite radioactive, and the radioactive
contamination of your lungs can cause lung cancer.  In the article I
read, a worker at a nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania set of the
radiation alarms when he came INTO work.  They checked out his house,
and found radon levels 100 (1000?) times higher than OSHA guidelines for
short term exposure for Uranium miners.  It was, in fact, the highest
concentration of radon ever detected in a house.  The carcinogenic
potential was roughly equivalent to smoking many (either 3 or 100?)
CARTONS of cigarettes per day!  On an actuarial basis, 20 years of
living in the house would give close to a 100% chance of getting lung
cancer.  Fortunately, the owner had only lived there for a little over a
year.

This was, of course, an extreme case.  Radon pollution tends to be very
localized: only the one house sitting on top of a particular `hot spot'
may be affected.  If you live in an area where hot spots occur, it is
wise to have your house tested.  The best course of action is to contact
your count (or state) public health office and ask whether radon is a
problem in your community, and if so to ask or pay for a test.  The
problem is moderately rare, but potentially very serious.

goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) (11/06/85)

>  send more detailed information, like how toxic it is

An article (I think in the ~Sept Consumer Reports) says 'very toxic',
like smoking 100 packs a day.  It was discovered when a new worker who lives
over the Reading thing began work at a nuclear power plant.  He set off
the radiation alarms when he entered the building.

Rumor: banks in the area are beginning to require radon tests before granting
a mortgage.

sja@cray.UUCP (Sheridan Adans) (11/13/85)

> I'm not sure where I read this (I think it either in the Boston Globe or
> in Time magazine), but here is what I remember about Radon pollution.
>
> Radon is a byproduct of the decay of Uranium in granite.  It seeps into
> cracks and then into the atmosphere.  If a structure is built on top of
> the fissure, the radon seeps into the basement.  The radon then decays
> into short-lived non-gaseous radio isotopes, which stick to dust, walls,
> your lungs, etc.  The result is that the basement or even the entire
> structure may become quite radioactive, and the radioactive
> contamination of your lungs can cause lung cancer.  In the article I
> read, a worker at a nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania set of the
> radiation alarms when he came INTO work.  They checked out his house,
> and found radon levels 100 (1000?) times higher than OSHA guidelines for
> short term exposure for Uranium miners.  It was, in fact, the highest
> concentration of radon ever detected in a house.  The carcinogenic
> potential was roughly equivalent to smoking many (either 3 or 100?)
> CARTONS of cigarettes per day!  On an actuarial basis, 20 years of
> living in the house would give close to a 100% chance of getting lung
> cancer.  Fortunately, the owner had only lived there for a little over a
> year.
>
> This was, of course, an extreme case.  Radon pollution tends to be very
> localized: only the one house sitting on top of a particular `hot spot'
> may be affected.  If you live in an area where hot spots occur, it is
> wise to have your house tested.  The best course of action is to contact
> your count (or state) public health office and ask whether radon is a
> problem in your community, and if so to ask or pay for a test.  The
> problem is moderately rare, but potentially very serious.

The following is information concerning Radon gas in the home.  The information was taken from an article in Popular Science, dated Nov. 1985.

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas produced by the decay of
uranium and radium (half-life 3.8 days).  It decays to several different
radioactive isotopes and finally to lead.  The danger is if the solid
particles are breathed in and lodge in the lungs, some of the different
isotopes emit high energy sub-atomic particle which can cause cell damage       and lead to the formation of cancerous cells.

The good news is that: (1) Current estimates are that only 1 to 2 percent of
the homes in the US have levels above recommended guidelines.
(2) There are steps that can be taken to lower the levels found in the
household.

If you would like more information, I suggest you read the article in Popular
Science (Nov. 1985). It gives tips on how to lower the levels in your house,
where to get testing equipment, and how to get more info.  I recommend it
for anyone who interested or concerned about this.

                                                S.J. Adams

P.S.
 In the case mentioned previously, the home test at 8 to 22 times the amount
 the standards permit.  Breathing the air was the equivalent of smoking
 135 packs of cigareetes a day.  Fortunately for the homeowner, a special
 project was able to reduce the amount in his home to "safe" levels.

                                                SJA

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) (11/18/85)

In article <296@cray.UUCP> sja@cray.UUCP (Sheridan Adans) writes:
>Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas produced by the decay of
>uranium and radium (half-life 3.8 days).  It decays to several different
>radioactive isotopes and finally to lead.  The danger is if the solid
>particles are breathed in and lodge in the lungs, some of the different
>isotopes emit high energy sub-atomic particle which can cause cell damage       and lead to the formation of cancerous cells.
>
>The good news is that: (1) Current estimates are that only 1 to 2 percent of
>the homes in the US have levels above recommended guidelines.
>(2) There are steps that can be taken to lower the levels found in the
>household.

A while back I read (in Science News, I believe) that radon is becoming
more of a problem as houses become more "air tight" to conserve energy.
It used to be that, even though building materials like brick would
outgas small quantities of radon, the air circulation in less energy-
efficient houses was enough to quickly disperse it.
--

					Scott Anderson
					ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra