[net.rumor] Looks like AT&T is leaving DEC owners in the cold!

vsh@pixdoc.UUCP (Steve Harris) (11/27/85)

A recent issue of Forbes (I don't have the date -- but the cover story
is on the AT&T - MCI - Sprint battle for long distance service) suggests
that AT&T may be looking to acquire (merge with) DEC to shore up its
computer know-how in the upcoming main event against IBM.  Or if not
DEC, some other established major player in the DP biz.

Any comments?

--

Steve Harris            |  {allegra|ihnp4|cbosgd|ima|genrad|amd|harvard}\
Pixel Systems Inc.      |               !wjh12!pixel!pixdoc!vsh

romain@pyrnj.uucp (Romain Kang) (11/28/85)

Or could it be that they're trying to avoid accusations of favorable
treatment towards DEC?  For boxes other than AT&T's and DEC's, the
System V port has always been left up to vendors, who submit their
ports to AT&T for validation.  Now SV.3 has become a generic System V
which is defined by its behavior on AT&T's own boxes.  This will open
support on DEC machines to a System V equivalent of Mt Xinu
(Unisoft?).  Or even (shudder) DEC if they care to do so.
--

Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	900 Route 9, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

"Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks!" -Adlai Stevenson

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/28/85)

In article <29@pixdoc.UUCP> vsh@pixdoc.UUCP (Steve Harris) writes:
>A recent issue of Forbes (I don't have the date -- but the cover story
>is on the AT&T - MCI - Sprint battle for long distance service) suggests
>that AT&T may be looking to acquire (merge with) DEC to shore up its
>computer know-how in the upcoming main event against IBM.  Or if not
>DEC, some other established major player in the DP biz.

Forbes might be best described as the National Enquirer of business
journalism.  If you read about it in Barrons, Wall Street Journal, or the
business pages of the New York Times, the rumor would gain credibility.  On
the other hand, DEC sources known to me have mentioned how much ATT would
love to own DEC technology...and how many DEC people would quit if they
did.  Heard the same thing from Apple people.  There are some people who
work for DEC and Apple who cannot be acquired with the company.