[net.rumor] Poloroid v. Kodak

nelson@dec-bufalo.UUCP (01/13/86)

I heard a rumor yesterday that said Poloroid won a lawsuit against Kodak.
Apparently Poloroid though Kodak's "Trimprint" cameras were too much like
Poloroid's "One-Step", so they sued, and won.

All "Trimprint" cameras, film, and accessories were supposed to have been
taken off the market as of last Friday.  Kodak supposedly has a toll-free
number for owners of "Trimprint" cameras; Kodak will send them $50 in
coupons towards Kodak products (or maybe it's just a $50 gift certificate).

Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Have any more information you'd like to
share?  I'm a "Trimprint" camera owner, so this is kind of important to me.
If you know the 800 number, I'd appreciate you passing it along.

Thanks!
				JENelson

...!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-bufalo!nelson
nelson%bufalo@DEC.decwrl.DEC.COM

mahoney@bach.DEC (01/14/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 13-JAN-1986 14:08---------------------

This is not just a rumor it is the truth.  Kodak must stop selling all
instant camara stuff.  The will either give you a $50 gift certificate
towards kodak equipment or they will give you a share of common stock.
I do not know the toll free number but I am pretty sure it was in the
Boston Globe last week.  There is also a possiblity that Polaroid may give
cameras to people who turn in their kodak camera's to them.
They make more money on the film then on the camera.  This last part about
Polariod is a rumor.

Brian Mahoney

rich@rexago1.UUCP (K. Richard Magill) (01/14/86)

In article <406@decwrl.DEC.COM> nelson@dec-bufalo.UUCP writes:
>All "Trimprint" cameras, film, and accessories were supposed to have been
>taken off the market as of last Friday.  Kodak supposedly has a toll-free
>number for owners of "Trimprint" cameras; Kodak will send them $50 in
>coupons towards Kodak products (or maybe it's just a $50 gift certificate).

I clearly heard on NPR numerous times that Kodak was offering:

	1) $50 in Kodak products.
	2) a disk camera & film.
OR
	3) 1, (one), share of Kodak common stock.

sorry I don't remember the number.  Try consumer relations.

jbtubman@watdragon.UUCP (Jim Tubman) (01/15/86)

As I recall, Polariod file suit against Kodak for patent violations
almost as soon as Kodak introduced their line of instant cameras,
which must have been in the late 70's.  Has it really taken this long
to get through the courts?

						Jim Tubman
						University of Waterloo

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (01/16/86)

> I heard a rumor yesterday that said Poloroid won a lawsuit against Kodak.
> Apparently Poloroid though Kodak's "Trimprint" cameras were too much like
> Poloroid's "One-Step", so they sued, and won.

This is not a rumor.  I read a newspaper article about Kodak losing an appeal,
just the other day.
--johnathan a. tainter
You can't tell if I'm an expert
because you can't see my briefcase
and don't know if I'm at home.

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (01/16/86)

In article <406@decwrl.DEC.COM> nelson@dec-bufalo.UUCP writes:
>I heard a rumor yesterday that said Poloroid won a lawsuit against Kodak.
>Apparently Poloroid though Kodak's "Trimprint" cameras were too much like
>Poloroid's "One-Step", so they sued, and won.
>
>All "Trimprint" cameras, film, and accessories were supposed to have been
>taken off the market as of last Friday.  Kodak supposedly has a toll-free
>number for owners of "Trimprint" cameras; Kodak will send them $50 in
>coupons towards Kodak products (or maybe it's just a $50 gift certificate).
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny this?  Have any more information you'd like to
>share?  I'm a "Trimprint" camera owner, so this is kind of important to me.
>If you know the 800 number, I'd appreciate you passing it along.
>
>Thanks!
>				JENelson
>
>...!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-bufalo!nelson
>nelson%bufalo@DEC.decwrl.DEC.COM

   Read a newspaper, or watch the evening news. This is fact, not rumor.

jkw@lanl.ARPA (01/17/86)

> As I recall, Polariod file suit against Kodak for patent violations
> almost as soon as Kodak introduced their line of instant cameras,
> which must have been in the late 70's.  Has it really taken this long
> to get through the courts?              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 						Jim Tubman
> 						University of Waterloo

  Compared with many legal proceedings, such as U.S. -vs- IBM, which went on
for over a decade and would be entering its 3rd decade if Reagan hadn't
put a halt to it shortly after taking office, this bit of bureaucratic
bungling happened at warp :-) speed.

	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

vector@inuxe.UUCP (Randal Blackwood) (01/17/86)

Does anyone know the toll-free phone number?

Randy Blackwood
inuxe!vector

dob@ihmax.UUCP (dan o'brien) (01/18/86)

> Does anyone know the toll-free phone number?

The number is:

	1-800-792-3000

It's busy. Keep trying.

---
			Daniel M. O'Brien (ihnp4!ihmax!dob)
			AT&T Bell Laboratories
			IH 4A-257, x 4782
			Naperville-Wheaton Road
			Naperville, IL 60566
--

---

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (01/18/86)

In article <215@watdragon.UUCP> jbtubman@watdragon.UUCP (Jim Tubman) writes:

>As I recall, Polariod file suit against Kodak for patent violations
>almost as soon as Kodak introduced their line of instant cameras,
>which must have been in the late 70's.  Has it really taken this long
>to get through the courts?

Yes, Polaroid did sue Kodak almost immediately (within 2 days I think).
And yes, it did take this long to resolve.  Business analysts quoted
in the local papers didn't think Kodak would be hurt all that much
by withdrawing from the instant photo market, as it's a small part
of their overall operation, and the heyday of instant photography seems
to have passed (to be replaced by such things as low cost/good quality 35MM
cameras).  The question now is whether Kodak will win an appeal eventually
and avoid paying damages.

Of course, as we're in BigK country here, you probably should take
this analysis with a grain of salt.
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl

rdz@ccice6.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (01/23/86)

In article <721@inuxe.UUCP>, vector@inuxe.UUCP (Randal Blackwood) writes:
> Does anyone know the toll-free phone number?
>
> Randy Blackwood
> inuxe!vector

1-800-792-3000