[net.rumor] Mosquitos can't spread AIDS

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (02/15/86)

In article <11847@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>This is net.rumor, so I'll mention before anyone tries the above, that I've
>heard that mosquitos can spread AIDS.

Fortunately, this is false, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
But one look around you (noticing that people are still alive in areas that
have mosquitos) will convince you that you can't get AIDS that way.  It's
sure fortunate; we might have ten million dead by now.

--
- Joe Buck <ihnp4!pesnta!epimass!jbuck>

Better to be silent and thought a pig than to oink and remove all doubt.

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (02/17/86)

In article <151@epimass.UUCP> jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <11847@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>>This is net.rumor, so I'll mention before anyone tries the above, that I've
>>heard that mosquitos can spread AIDS.
>
>Fortunately, this is false, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
>But one look around you (noticing that people are still alive in areas that
>have mosquitos) will convince you that you can't get AIDS that way.  It's
>sure fortunate; we might have ten million dead by now.
>--
>- Joe Buck <ihnp4!pesnta!epimass!jbuck>

Unfortunately, this am (Sunday 2/16/86), I caught part (only part) of a
news(?) program that was discussing an anomaly of AIDS in a low income
S. Florida county where the local populace has a statistically
significant number of people (~34?) diagnosed as having AIDS or the
HTLVIII virus that are not in the population normally associated as
being in a high risk group. The local health dept. is/was investigating
the corrolation between the victims, sanitation, and extremely high
counts of mosquito infestation in the area.  Hypothesized is that the
population affected is poor, with no air conditioning, with open
windows & no screens, and have been exposed to mucho mosquito bites.
One of the individuals interviewed was an elderly (read OLD) black
woman who has not had any blood xfusions, IV drug use, sexual contact
with male homosexuals, but has been eat up by mosquitos. Since I was
half asleep while I watched it, and didn't catch the source, I am
posting this to net.rumor instead of some more reputable group.

-W.T.Sykes ...!ihnp4!burl!wts