[net.rumor] New high-end VAX

brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) (02/14/86)

[}{]
The other day, in a cubical near mine, I heard someone talk about a VAX
8800 that was about a 12 MIPS machine.  I think he also said that it was
out for about a month.  I doubt this very much, but does anyone have
information on it?  Is it a rumor as I suspect?

			-- Brad Brahms
			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

P.S.	By the way, how many MIPS is the 8600?  I don't seem to recall.

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (02/15/86)

In article <275@spp3.UUCP> brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>[}{]
>The other day, in a cubical near mine, I heard someone talk about a VAX
>8800 that was about a 12 MIPS machine.  I think he also said that it was
>out for about a month.  I doubt this very much, but does anyone have
>information on it?  Is it a rumor as I suspect?
>
>			-- Brad Brahms
>			   usenet: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!trwrb!trwspp!brahms
>			   arpa:   Brahms@usc-eclc

I think the 8800 uses the Microvax II chip, but has a full size bus,
(for full-size disk drives).  I think it's about the size of a 750,
but with 780+ power.  It will also be cheap.

All I've seen of it is a picture on the front of the Globe.

|  Andrew S. Gerber    		MIT '87             Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu, gerber@athena.mit.edu   |
|  UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber   decvax!mit-eddie!mit-athena!gerber |

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/15/86)

In article <275@spp3.UUCP> brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
>The other day, in a cubical near mine, I heard someone talk about a VAX
>8800 that was about a 12 MIPS machine.  I think he also said that it was
>out for about a month.  I doubt this very much, but does anyone have
>information on it?  Is it a rumor as I suspect?

I don't know if it is out yet, but this is a real machine and the MIPS
number given is correct.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

schaefer@puff.UUCP (Matt Schaefer) (02/16/86)

In article <275@spp3.UUCP>, brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
> [}{]
> The other day, in a cubical near mine, I heard someone talk about a VAX
> 8800 that was about a 12 MIPS machine.  I think he also said that it was
> out for about a month.  I doubt this very much, but does anyone have
> information on it?  Is it a rumor as I suspect?

Yes, the VAX 8800 is a dual cpu (one for i/o, other for proccessing) that
does do 12 MIPS. One of my workmates went to a gathering sponsored by DEC
and was impressed at some of the things he heard. The 8800 uses the BI bus
to which only cpu's memory, and converters to other buses can be connected.
That is all I heard, except they are asking $600,000 for it.

wls@astrovax.UUCP (William L. Sebok) (02/17/86)

In article <87@mit-amt.MIT.EDU> gerber@mit-amt.UUCP (Andrew S. Gerber) writes:
>I think the 8800 uses the Microvax II chip, but has a full size bus,
>(for full-size disk drives).  I think it's about the size of a 750,
>but with 780+ power.  It will also be cheap.
>
>All I've seen of it is a picture on the front of the Globe.

I believe you are thinking of the Vax 8200.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,philabs,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls

tli@oberon.UUCP (Tony Li) (02/18/86)

In article <275@spp3.UUCP> brahms@spp3.UUCP (Bradley S. Brahms) writes:
    The other day, in a cubical near mine, I heard someone talk about a VAX
    8800 that was about a 12 MIPS machine.

Not rumor!  Fact!

--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!tli