[net.rumor] Killer Apples

earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) (02/08/86)

I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
I wonder?

"an apple a day will make you pass away..." :-)

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (02/08/86)

In article <3012@pesnta.UUCP>, earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) writes:
> I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
> like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
> I wonder?
>
> "an apple a day will make you pass away..." :-)

	Yup. I have been eating apples daily, core and all, for nearly
ten years now.  This gives me an excuse to not do any work around the
house.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

marco@andromeda.UUCP (the wharf rat) (02/08/86)

In article <3012@pesnta.UUCP>, earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) writes:
> I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine...
> Any truth to this
> I wonder?

  Yes. Apple seeds contain prussic acid, which apparently turns into
cyanide after you eat them.  I've heard that the lethal dosage is about
a cup, though.
                                                W. rat

aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) (02/09/86)

In article <3012@pesnta.UUCP>, earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) writes:
> I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
> like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
> I wonder?

This rumor is partially true, although it would take more than 10 seeds
to kill you.  Apple seeds, as well as the seeds of cherries, plums, almonds,
peaches, apricots, and crabapples, contain "cyanogenetic glycosides."
When ingested, these compounds form hydrogen cyanide gas as the result
of an enzymatic reaction.  In large quantities this may be fatal.

I have read that Turkey has reported nine cases of lethal poisonings
from apricot seeds since 1957.

Of the seeds listed above, almonds contain the greatest amount of
amygdalin, the most important cyanogenetic glycoside.  It is said that
it would take 50-70 of them to kill an adult; therefore the number
of apple seeds constituting a fatal dosage would be higher.  Probably
about a cupful.

By the way, if the seeds are roasted before ingestion, the enzymes that
produce the lethal byproduct are destroyed, rendering the seeds safe.

I have also heard that most birds that consume these fruits are "smart"
enough to leave the seeds alone.

--
Don Aoki ("The Oak")
ORACLE Corporation				(415)598-8077

hedden@atux01.UUCP (D. Hedden) (02/10/86)

In article <3012@pesnta.UUCP>, earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) writes:
> I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
> like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
> I wonder?

Believe it or not, I know two people who regularly eat an entire
apple, core and all.  They have been doing it for years, and
plan to do it tomorrow if they are still alive.

   "The moving hand writes ..."

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/11/86)

In article <410@oracle.UUCP> aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) writes:
>Of the seeds listed above, almonds contain the greatest amount of
>amygdalin, the most important cyanogenetic glycoside.  It is said that
>it would take 50-70 of them to kill an adult; therefore the number
>of apple seeds constituting a fatal dosage would be higher.  Probably
>about a cupful.

If you mean 50-70 almonds, then I'm already dead several times over.
I've been known to down 2-3 *pounds* of almonds over the course of
a couple of hours when I used to visit my father in California -- he'd
have the 10-pound bag of fresh [unroasted, unsalted, un-everything-but-tasty]
almonds and I'd go nuts...er...crazy.

*Sigh*.  Another rumor sadly disposed of.  When are we going to get the
rumor that we all laugh at that turns out to be true two weeks later?
I'm beginning to think you guys aren't too well placed in your respective
corporations/schools -- get out there and dig up some *real* dirt!

;-)
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

benn@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (T Cox) (02/11/86)

In article <3012@pesnta.UUCP> earlw@pesnta.UUCP (Earl Wallace) writes:
>I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
>like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
>I wonder?
>
>"an apple a day will make you pass away..." :-)

I had it from a reliable source that LARGE amounts of apple seeds
will be dangerous.  Ten seeds would NOT.  A man died of arsenic
poisoning after eating, all in one day, one cup of seeds he'd been
saving.  He was a health food nut [no pun intended] as I recall . . .
--
T Cox
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn   benn%sphinx@uchicago.bitnet

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (02/13/86)

>I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
>like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
>I wonder?
>
>"an apple a day will make you pass away..." :-)

i also eat whole apples (and occasionally potato skins too).  and once i
start, i rarely eat just one; usually it's 3-4.  hasn't killed me yet.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton%uiucuxc@a.cs.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/13/86)

>In article <410@oracle.UUCP> aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) writes:
>>Of the seeds listed above, almonds contain the greatest amount of
>>amygdalin, the most important cyanogenetic glycoside.  It is said that
>>it would take 50-70 of them to kill an adult; therefore the number
>>of apple seeds constituting a fatal dosage would be higher.  Probably
>>about a cupful.
>>
>If you mean 50-70 almonds, then I'm already dead several times over.
>I've been known to down 2-3 *pounds* of almonds over the course of
>a couple of hours when I used to visit my father in California -- he'd
>have the 10-pound bag of fresh [unroasted, unsalted, un-everything-but-tasty]
>almonds and I'd go nuts...er...crazy.
>
>*Sigh*.  Another rumor sadly disposed of.  When are we going to get the
>rumor that we all laugh at that turns out to be true two weeks later?
>I'm beginning to think you guys aren't too well placed in your respective
>corporations/schools -- get out there and dig up some *real* dirt!

This is true for *bitter* almonds, which are different from the almonds
you buy in the grocery store. It is also true about apple seeds and
several other seeds. I believe that there were cases of people dying
of cyanide poisoning from Laetril (made from apricot seeds). The concentration
is low enough that it is unlikely you will suffer from any ill effect
unless you eat at least a cup of seeds in one sitting (and cyanide does
not build up in the body).

I repeat, this is TRUE, it is not just a rumor. If you don't believe me,
look up "cyanide" in an encyclopedia.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"What? That? It was just a filthy demon! It wasn't even from this dimension!"

stu16@whuxl.UUCP (Pippin) (02/14/86)

> I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
> like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
> I wonder?

     Could this possibly be true? (Boy! Did I split an
infinitive there!).  Horses eat LOTS and LOTS of apples at
one time. Dogs love to eat windfalls, and they all eat the
seeds and cores. Should I start worrying about this? No
smiley-face this time.
--
                      Pippin Stuart
                      whuxl!stu16

jxs7451@ritcv.UUCP (02/16/86)

I allways thought that you must chew the apple seeds in order to
get any bad effects..Otherwise they just pass through your system.

jeff "in sunny downtown Rochester"(or something like that)

{allega | seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jxs7451

cgf@infinet.UUCP (Chris Faylor) (02/16/86)

>>I heard that the seeds of apples contains arsenic or strychnine (or something
>>like that).  If you chew about 10+ seeds, you're a gonner.  Any truth to this
>>I wonder?
>>
>>"an apple a day will make you pass away..." :-)
>
>i also eat whole apples (and occasionally potato skins too).  and once i
>start, i rarely eat just one; usually it's 3-4.  hasn't killed me yet.

I have been injecting both strychnine and cyanide directly into my jugular
vein every hour or so for 15 years.  People call me weird, but I just
laugh along with them.

You won't catch me eating apples, though...
--
			-cgf-

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

		decvax!wanginst!infinet!cgf
		emacs!infinet!cgf@cca-unix.ARPA

leimkuhl@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/17/86)

Ok, now that apple seeds have been retired, what about aflatoxin.

Does anyone have the real scoop on this--reportedly incredibly deadly--
substance that forms in peanut mold?  I was once told (and read in Graham
Greene's The Human Factor) that packaged peanuts are checked under a
blacklight for afla mold, because just one or two bad peanuts can kill you.

I'm just a little concerned because I've been known to eat two pounds of
unsalted in-the-shell peanuts at a time, and I don't see how they can know
that there's no mold INSIDE the peanut by looking at it.

-Ben "Mr. Peanut" Leimkuhler

dougs@hammer.UUCP (Doug Smith) (02/20/86)

So, I get home from work, and settle down in front of the tube, ready
to watch last night's Hill Street Blues (taped, of course; why should
I stay up so late?); shove in the tape, kick back, and watch as G. I.
Joe starts nuking his way across the screen. Totally pissed, I realize
my 7-year-old has figured out how to run the VCR, and has used MY TAPE
(but, Dad, it was in the machine) to record "his program" because he
was forced to attend his violin lesson (which, as we all know, occurs
at that particular time to ensure that he can't see "his program").
So, as I'm about to remove the tape and chuck it across the Delaware,
this grayish blob that Joe et alia are fighting attracts (distracts)
my attention, and what do you suppose they are fighting it with?

Apples.

Seems it's a one-celled lab escapee (I estimate It covers 9 square miles)
that devours anything it touches as it runs amok, and one of the Good
Guys has figured out that if they feed it enough apples, it will get
poisoned, and die, and the world will be saved, and Joe and the Good Gal
with the big ... uh, never mind.
So, I just wondered, does Usenet have a direct link to G. I. Joe, or does
the "writer" for this show tap in somewhere on the Arpanet?

				Let's be careful out there,
				Doug Smith
				tektronix|tekecs|dougs

aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) (02/21/86)

In article <1019@burl.UUCP>, rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
> In article <410@oracle.UUCP> aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) writes:
> >Of the seeds listed above, almonds contain the greatest amount of
> >amygdalin, the most important cyanogenetic glycoside.  It is said that
> >it would take 50-70 of them to kill an adult; therefore the number
> >of apple seeds constituting a fatal dosage would be higher.  Probably
> >about a cupful.
> >
> If you mean 50-70 almonds, then I'm already dead several times over.
> I've been known to down 2-3 *pounds* of almonds over the course of
> a couple of hours when I used to visit my father in California -- he'd
> have the 10-pound bag of fresh [unroasted, unsalted, un-everything-but-tasty]
> almonds and I'd go nuts...er...crazy.

Curtis, your almonds may have been "unroasted", but you did not indicate
whether they were "bitter."  My information source is "The Straight Dope,"
by Cecil Adams, (c) 1984, Chicago Reader, Inc.  Adams fields a wide range
of bizarre questions from his readers, and on p. 161, you will find the
information I summarized in my article.  Here is the text of the original
question and Adams' reply:

"I'm afraid for my life.  All these years I've been eating the seeds of fruit,
such as apples, oranges, apricots, peaches, plums, etc.  I started when I
began living with my grandfather, a dentist, about 10 years ago.  He said
they were good for the teeth because of the minerals they contained. Over
the years I've cultivated a taste for them, and was extremely delighted
when I found I could buy them in quantities of a pound or more at health
food stores. Recently, however, a friend told me that all fruit seeds
contained cyanide, and that he had read an item in a newspaper once
about someone who had died from eating apple seeds!  I am especially
concerned about apricot kernels, my favorite.  What's a lethal dose?
Can any be eaten safely?  If so, about how many?  I really like them and
would be loath to give them up, but on the other hand I really don't want
to be slowly poisoning myself and my guests and roommates. -- John T., Phoenix."

[ADAMS' REPLY:]
"You've got good reason to be afraid, pal. Fruits of the rose family --
including cherries, apples, plums, almonds, peaches, apricots, and
crabapples -- contain in their seeds substances known as cyanogenetic
glycosides, which on ingestion release hydrogen cyanide gas through
an enzymatic reaction. They can most certainly do you in.  Since 1957,
Turkey -- a big apricot country -- has reported nine cases of lethal
poisoning from apricot seeds.  Unfortunately, victims of such poisonings
have a habit of kicking the bucket before doctors have a chance to ask them
how many seeds they've eaten;  in addition, the amount of amygdalin --
the most important cyanogenetic glycoside -- varies from species to species,
and since the poisoning does not involve a direct transfer of cyanide from
one place to another, "lethal dosages" of these various seeds are hard
to pin down.  Use the following as guidelines: (1) bitter almonds contain
by far the greatest amount of amygdalin, and IT TAKES 50-70 OF THEM TO
KILL AN ADULT, 7-10 TO KILL A CHILD [my caps].  (2) Ingestion of about
a cupful of any of the above seeds is pushing things a bit.

"If you've been munching on seeds for years and have never felt any ill
effects, you can safely continue to eat them in similar quantities without
worrying.  Keep in mind, however, that one gluttonous binge will put you
away forever.  Sub-lethal doses of cyanide gas are detoxified and passed
out of the body rapidly, so it's impossible to slowly poison yourself
over a period of time.  Symptoms of cyanide poisoning are excitement,
convulsions, respiratory distress, and spasms.  Another warning sign is
death, which can occur without any of the other symptoms.

"All of this, by the way, applies only to fresh seeds.  Roasting the seeds
will destroy the enzymes needed to produce the lethal reaction without
apprciably affecting the mineral content of your munchies.  NOTE TO SHOCKED
ALMOND FREAKS: REGULAR OLD ALMONDS CONTAIN FAR LESS AMYGDALIN THAN THE
BITTER VARIETY [my caps again]."   [** END OF ADAMS' REPLY **]

By the way, victims of cyanide poisoning (such as the recent case in New York
and the Chicago cases a few years ago) are easily identifyable by pathologists.
Their tissue samples smell like "bitter almonds."  I don't know if there's
any significance to this fact, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

--

ins_ampm@jhunix.UUCP (Michael P McKenna) (02/22/86)

In article <1019@burl.UUCP> rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) writes:
>In article <410@oracle.UUCP> aoki@oracle.UUCP (Don Aoki) writes:
>>Of the seeds listed above, almonds contain the greatest amount of
>>amygdalin, the most important cyanogenetic glycoside.  It is said that
>>it would take 50-70 of them to kill an adult; therefore the number
>>of apple seeds constituting a fatal dosage would be higher.  Probably
>>about a cupful.
>>
>If you mean 50-70 almonds, then I'm already dead several times over.
>I've been known to down 2-3 *pounds* of almonds over the course of
>a couple of hours when I used to visit my father in California -- he'd
>have the 10-pound bag of fresh [unroasted, unsalted, un-everything-but-tasty]
>almonds and I'd go nuts...er...crazy.
>
>*Sigh*.  Another rumor sadly disposed of.  When are we going to get the
>rumor that we all laugh at that turns out to be true two weeks later?
>I'm beginning to think you guys aren't too well placed in your respective
>corporations/schools -- get out there and dig up some *real* dirt!

Well actually I'm pretty sure that this is in fact true.  However different
types of almonds contain different amounts of amygdalin.  The 50-70 figure
refers to bitter almonds (in fact the amygdalin is why they are bitter).
Anyone who could eat 50+ of these at one time probably deserves to die :-)

                                                         Dwight S. Wilson

"You Warren?  You're the 'they' in 'That's what they say.'?"