[net.rumor] Star Trek episodes filmed but not aired?

dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) (02/16/86)

I just had an interesting discussion with a person at a party
who claimed that she saw an episode of Star Trek that wasn't
played during the run of the series.  She said that it was
similer to The Mark of Gideon but had a main protagonist
that was like the Catholic Pope.  She said that it was censored
for this reason.

Have you ever heard of this?  It seems incredable to me that
an un-aired episode like this could exist.
--

David Messer   UUCP:  ...ihnp4!quest!dave
                      ...ihnp4!encore!vaxine!spark!14!415!sysop

mnh@duts.UUCP (Mark Haynie) (02/19/86)

In <347@quest.UUCP>, David Messer writes:

> I just had an interesting discussion with a person at a party
> who claimed that she saw an episode of Star Trek that wasn't
> played during the run of the series.  She said that it was
> similer to The Mark of Gideon but had a main protagonist
> that was like the Catholic Pope.  She said that it was censored
> for this reason.

Two more episodes were scheduled in the final season but were
eliminated when the ax fell. This is why the three seasons have
26, 26 and 24 episodes.  William Shatner was to direct one of the
final ones.  The scripts were written.  But, no one seems to know
now what the stories were about.
--
                  -- Mark Haynie
                     Amdahl Corp.

"The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Amdahl Corporation, its employees, or management."

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (02/20/86)

In the dealer's room at the Chicago WorldCon a few years ago,
someone was selling copies of Star Trek scripts, including a
first draft version of one of the axed episodes.  I didn't
buy it though (something I regret now) and can't vouch
for its authenticity.

Robert J. Sawyer
in Toronto
c/o
--

					Tom Nadas

UUCP:   {decvax,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,allegra,utzoo}!utcsri!tom
CSNET:  tom@toronto

phoenix@genat.UUCP (phoenix) (02/22/86)

In article <347@quest.UUCP> dave@quest.UUCP (David Messer) writes:
>I just had an interesting discussion with a person at a party
>who claimed that she saw an episode of Star Trek that wasn't
>played during the run of the series.  She said that it was
>similer to The Mark of Gideon but had a main protagonist
>that was like the Catholic Pope.  She said that it was censored
>for this reason.
>
>Have you ever heard of this?  It seems incredable to me that
>an un-aired episode like this could exist.

I have been a trekkie since 1966 and have belonged (at various times)
to the "Star Trek  Welcommittee" and S*T*A*R* ("Star Trek Association
for Revival").  I have all of the concordances published by Bjo Trimble:
the two originals, offset, with silk-screened covers; as well as the
pro publication of the revised version by Ballentine Books.  If there
was anything omitted from those books it was not from lack of dedication
by Bjo; they essentially make up a "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know..."
for Star Trek...*including* the animated series!  (like I said, Bjo's
thorough.)
According to these books, there were never any un-telecast episodes,
and no scripts left unused.  The programme's creator, Gene Roddenberry,'s
"The Making of Star Trek" also supports this contention.

--
					The Phoenix
					(Neither Bright, Dark, nor Young)

---"A man should live forever...or die trying."
---"There is no substitute for good manners...except fast reflexes."