[net.rumor] Computer Horror Stories -- and a new rumor

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/24/86)

In article <5027@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
>To make a long story short, they started looking for any differences
>between the customer site and their test lab.  They finally found it:
>the packs sent to customers had quality control stickers on them.
>After a few weeks, some of the glue would work its way loose and find
>its way into the heads...

Yeh, a friend of mine bought a small plane and was taking off one day
when the thing started belching black smoke and only climbing at about
100 feet-per-minute (it usually climbs between 800 and 1100).  He
managed to get the thing back down on the ground and came to find out
that the previous owner had caulked a loose light back in place rather
than taking the time to do it right.  The caulking was right by an
engine exhaust, the heat melted the caulking, and the carburator merrily
scarfed the caulking and became clogged.

Oh, a rumor?  OK, I rode back on a Piedmont plane from Newark to Greensboro,
NC a few days ago with a Piedmont stewardess.  Seems that United made some
kind of bid to buy Piedmont back in the summer, and they are still *very*
hot to do so.  Speculation at Piedmont has been rampant off-and-on (is
that possible?) ever since as more unsubstantiated rumors [our favorite
kind  ;-)] fly around the company.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj