[net.rumor] Who's doing Bloom County?

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (02/26/86)

> In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
> >Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
> >who is doing the strip in his name.
> >
> >The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
> >but the strip has carried his signature. Is
> >this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
> >else "ghosting" the strip?

They are reprinting his *very* early stuff.  All cartoonists (who last
long enough) evolve the appearance of their characters.  The very first
collection of "Peanuts" bears little resemblance to the current strip.
[They were funnier then, too ...]

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

shipman@nmtvax.UUCP (John Shipman) (03/06/86)

> >The curious thing is that the Sunday strips are new.

At the time of his accident, Berke Breathed (rhymes with method) had
finished daily strips through Feb. 8 and Sunday strips through Feb. 23.

> So which Bloom Counties are the rest of the world getting?

The Albuquerque Jourinal is Breathed's "home paper" since he lives
in Albuquerque now.  They've been running some of the best of the
old strips: from 1982, Binkley's Closet of Anxieties, with the
Giant Spotted Snorklewacker:
    Binkley: What about Victoria Principal?
    Snorklewacker: We're nightmares.  Pipedreams are under the bed.

At the moment we're in a 1984 Steve Dallas series: Steve in action at the
singles bar ("Sign this statement guaranteeing you will produce no
ugly kids") and at home with Ma ("I let myself in through the back
window with a brick.")
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, New Mexico
USENET: ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!shipman   OR  ihnp4!lanl!unmvax!...