[net.rumor] more crash capers

okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) (03/08/86)

We once had a customer who had a new computer system put into a
warehouse.  Every now and then you get a lemon, and this one was
definitely one of those every now and then's.  After it's
installation, we were flying out to fix it about once a week to
fix the damned thing.  My boss was not too pleased, because the
machine was still under warranty and plane tickets cost a pretty
penny.

On one of these trips, our service tech arrived on a relatively hot
day, and found the cause of many of our troubles - the temperature
in the computer room was about 90 degrees, and the computer was in
no mood to operate properly.  Well, he told them to install an air
conditioner, and their problems would decrease amazingly.

They called again about a week later with more crash problems.  Once
again, our service tech flew out there.  They HAD installed the air
conditioner, but they had plugged the cord into the nearest available
outlet...

After Jeff explained things to them, they found a different outlet to
plug the air conditioner into.  It's amazing how nicely that computer
ran without having an air conditioner plugged into the same outlet.

							---Duck

jr@bbncc5.UUCP (John Robinson) (03/11/86)

In article <2020@gondor.UUCP> okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) writes:
>On one of these trips, our service tech arrived on a relatively hot
>day, and found the cause of many of our troubles - the temperature
>in the computer room was about 90 degrees, and the computer was in
>no mood to operate properly.

I remember taking one of our (ahem) fault-tolerant machines to the NY
colisseum for an NCC; must have been about 1979.  Once the people
started streaming in, the temperature indoors climbed right up to 90
and stayed there for 3 days; only from 8-9 in the morning was it cool
enough for things to run.  Of course, we had put in the quiet fans for
the show.

Funny thing is, no one noticed.  Folks would wander up and read the
handout, see the one light (saying "idle") and the humming printer
terminals, ask a few questions, and walk away impressed!  If only real
customers would be so forgiving...

/jr