[net.rumor] Whose doing Bloom County?

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (02/26/86)

In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
>Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>who is doing the strip in his name.
>
>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>else "ghosting" the strip?
>
>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>just imagination?

I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (02/28/86)

> In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
> >Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
> >who is doing the strip in his name.
> >
> >The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
> >but the strip has carried his signature. Is
> >this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
> >else "ghosting" the strip?
> >
> >Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
> >just imagination?
>
> I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
> causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
> difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
> but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
> ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

If you will look closely at the strips you will notice, in small print, that
says "Copyright 1982".  These are simply reprints of 4 year old strips.  (How
soon we forget!).

BTW I recently read an article that said Berke was out of the hospital and
would be starting new strips post haste.  Hopefully by next week we'll be
reading fresh new adventures of Opus and the gang (and finding out where
Cutter John is!).
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (03/01/86)

At least in the Portland Oregonian, the last couple of weeks of Bloom County
have been strips from 1982 and 1984.  I first noticed the difference in the
appearance of Opus, whom I almost didn't recognize.  The curious thing is
that the Sunday strips are new, indicating that either he had a backlog of
them before the accident, or that whatever his condition, he can at least
pump out the Sunday strip.

Robert Reed, CAE Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

roper@uw-june (Michael Roper @ U of Washington Computer Science) (03/01/86)

>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>else "ghosting" the strip?
>
>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>just imagination?

The syndicate which distributes Bloom County to your local newspaper
is issuing previously published strips (some of them several years old)
until Breathed recovers.  He was released last week from the hospital
and is expected to return to work in a month or so.  The last of the
pre-accident Sunday strips was run 2/23.

The most noticeable difference in the artwork appeared in a few of the
very early strips featuring Opus.  The shape of his nose was quite
different then.  Otherwise, the artwork seems pretty stable.
--

--Michael Roper   ARPANET:  roper@washington.arpa
                     UUCP:  {ihnp4|decvax|ucbvax}!uw-beaver!uw-june!roper

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/03/86)

In article <10@zeus.UUCP> bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) writes:
>At least in the Portland Oregonian, the last couple of weeks of Bloom County
>have been strips from 1982 and 1984.  I first noticed the difference in the
>appearance of Opus, whom I almost didn't recognize.  The curious thing is
>that the Sunday strips are new, indicating that either he had a backlog of
>them before the accident, or that whatever his condition, he can at least
>pump out the Sunday strip.
>
>Robert Reed, CAE Systems Division, tektronix!teklds!bobr

The Sunday strips, I believe, are done in separate batches from the daily
strips, so the lead time may vary.  Notice that there was no Bloom County
for 3/2.

On a side note, out here in Wash. DC (adopted home of Bloom County, read
the syndication blurb) instead of running the old ones we've read before,
they've foisted off "Cheeverwood" on us (another Wash. Post Writers Group
job).  I hesitate to say that it looks superficially like Bloom County,
but in my own, (emphasis on OWN) opinion, it's simply awful.

So which Bloom Counties are the rest of the world getting?  Are you back
to the early Opus strips, or have you gone to the back of the rack with
Limekiller boarding at the house and Milo talking to the bathroom mirror?

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

rimbold@ulowell.UUCP (Rob Rimbold) (03/04/86)

******* (For the god of line eaters) **********

The comics that are showing up now are from his books. Does anyone really
have the scoop on what is going on?

--
-> Rob Rimbold		"But running in parallel is more fun!"

	UUCP : 	decvax!wanginst!ulowell!rimbold
	ARPA :	rimbold@ulowell.CSNET
	AT&T :	(617) 452-5000 x2233

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/04/86)

> The Sunday strips, I believe, are done in separate batches from the daily
> strips, so the lead time may vary.  Notice that there was no Bloom County
> for 3/2.

  In our paper there was (Rocky Mountain News). It had Milo being asked to
"rate" a woman whom he obviously detests, and he told her she was a
"log 10 times 10 to the derivative of 10,000" (which is 1).

--Greg
--
{ucbvax!hplabs | decvax!noao | mcvax!seismo | ihnp4!seismo}
       		        !hao!woods

CSNET: woods@ncar.csnet  ARPA: woods%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

"If the game is lost, we're all the same;
No one left to place or take the blame"

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/05/86)

In article <150@valid.UUCP> pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) writes:
>> >Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>> >just imagination?
>>
>> I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
>> causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
>> difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
>> but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
>If you will look closely at the strips you will notice, in small print, that
>says "Copyright 1982".  These are simply reprints of 4 year old strips.  (How
>soon we forget!).

If you will look closely at my posting you will see that I said he "is
using the EXACT SAME punchlines as before."  How do you think I noticed?

Just to make it clear:

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Didn't Santayana say something about the second time around?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/08/86)

In article <12038@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>In article <892@hou2d.UUCP> lws@hou2d.UUCP (lwsamocha) writes:
>>Since Breathed is supposed to be recouperating from his accident,
>>who is doing the strip in his name.
>>
>>The artwork for the last several days has looked different,
>>but the strip has carried his signature. Is
>>this Breathed's earlier work that we are seeing, or is someone
>>else "ghosting" the strip?
>>
>>Has anyone else noticed slight differences in the strip or is it
>>just imagination?
>
>I heard he was doing the comic now with his toes.  That might be
>causing the differences you notice.  Because of the inherent
>difficulty, he doesn't have the time to think up new gag lines,
>but instead is using the exact same punchlines as before.
>
>ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

No, no, no!!!  If any of you are true fanatics ("Death to all fanatics!"
I believe Hassan i Sabbah once said) you would have noticed that they are
RE-RUNNING OLD STRIPS!!!
						Carl Greenberg

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (03/13/86)

> >At least in the Portland Oregonian, the last couple of weeks of Bloom County
> >have been strips from 1982 and 1984.  I first noticed the difference in the
> >appearance of Opus, whom I almost didn't recognize.  The curious thing is
> >that the Sunday strips are new, indicating that either he had a backlog of
> >them before the accident, or that whatever his condition, he can at least
> >pump out the Sunday strip.
> >
> >Robert Reed
>
> The Sunday strips, I believe, are done in separate batches from the daily
> strips, so the lead time may vary.  Notice that there was no Bloom County
> for 3/2.
>
> David Hsu

What?  My paper dated March 2 had a strip of a conversation between Milo and
Freida discussing how he would rate her on a 1-10 scale.  He rated her
"Log 10 times 10 to the derivative of 10,000".  The copyright date on the
strip was 1985.
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

bobr@zeus.UUCP (Robert Reed) (03/17/86)

> The Sunday strips, I believe, are done in separate batches from the daily
> strips, so the lead time may vary.  Notice that there was no Bloom County
> for 3/2.
>
> David Hsu

Yes, true, but the 3/16 issue has a 3/16 date and a 1986 copyright, even
though today's (3/17, in the Portland Oregonian) is a rerun.  A new Sunday
strip after two weeks of Sunday reruns, is this an indication of a soon to
be revitalized Berke?