[net.rumor] edit sessions via punch cards

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/13/86)

In article <1629@decwrl.DEC.COM> moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) writes:
>  In the dark ages when terminals were very scarce (and used paper, and were
>often 110 baud) a friend of mine, rather than wait for a terminal to become
>free to edit a file, would type all the edit commands on CARDS and submit
>his "edit session" as a batch job!  He almost never screwed up the edit,
>either.

This is what teco was invented to do, on the txo1 (not exactly
correct, but real close -- the first transistorized computer) back
at MIT long long ago.

--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (03/20/86)

>In article <1629@decwrl.DEC.COM> moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) writes:
>  In the dark ages when terminals were very scarce (and used paper, and were
>often 110 baud) a friend of mine, rather than wait for a terminal to become
>free to edit a file, would type all the edit commands on CARDS and submit
>his "edit session" as a batch job!  He almost never screwed up the edit,
>either.

In the ?light? ages (1979) I took a co-op job with a Naval R&D outfit.
They ran off computers several hundred miles away in Eglin AFB, Florida;
big CDC monsters running NOS/BE, the BE standing for Batch Environment.
We could only input our jobs with cards, and the only 'editor' was a
card-based system called "update"; with which you could only delete and
insert full card images.

Thank God I only worked in that section for three weeks before getting
a *real* assignment!!
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj