[net.rumor] ...and more problems.

okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) (03/08/86)

I flew from Pittsburgh, PA to Richmond, VA because of a printer
problem once.  It seems that there was crosstalk between the print
pins - several of them would fire when only one or two was supposed
to.

By the time I arrived, the problem had gone away.  This was not a
good sign - intermittent bugs can be a pain-in-the-output-device.
Well, I had been working on the thing for about half an hour when I
decided to take a closer look at some odd looking "flux" on the
logic board.  I moistened it a little and sure enough, it smelled
just like a cancer research lab.  (Think about little white mice.)
After closer examination, I found mouse tracks all over the insides.
Now, until it dries (which it had by then) a salty liquid is an
excellent conductor of electricity...

Our service contract covers acts of God.  It was questionable whether
it also covered acts of all His little creatures.

I had a wonderful time writing "Recommend customer install cat" on
the service report.

I once heard about a Xerox tech who opened up a malfunctioning copier
and found a dead mouse lying on it's back, spread eagled, right smack
dab in the middle of it.
						---Duck

kludge@gitpyr.UUCP (Scott Dorsey) (03/11/86)

In article <2021@gondor.UUCP> okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) writes:
>I once heard about a Xerox tech who opened up a malfunctioning copier
>and found a dead mouse lying on it's back, spread eagled, right smack
>dab in the middle of it.

    A farmer goes into town for his yearly visit, and wanders into a watch
repair shop.  He pulls out his watch, and hands it to the counter main, saying
"It don't work no more."  The repairman pries the back off, and an enormous
dried-up beetle falls out.
   "No wonder", replies the farmer, " th' engineer's dead!"

-------
Disclaimer: Everything I say is probably a trademark of someone.  But
            don't worry, I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

Scott Dorsey
Kaptain_kludge
ICS Programming Lab (Where old terminals go to die), Rich 110,
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!kludge

USnail:  Box 36681, Atlanta GA. 30332
--
-------

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (03/23/86)

In article <2021@gondor.UUCP> okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) writes:
>I once heard about a Xerox tech who opened up a malfunctioning copier
>and found a dead mouse lying on it's back, spread eagled, right smack
>dab in the middle of it.

Some time ago I worked for a large minicomputer vendor who also had a
problem installation in a warehouse.  I vividly remember the frequent
soft disk errors.  When the FE went to investigate the large 3330 type
drive, it didn't take too long before he found the cause.  A field
mouse had gotten into its large tread-mill style blower.  Thereafter we
(unofficially, to be sure) refered to that drive model as the mouse-a-matic.
--
UUCP:	...akgua!rebel!george
	...{hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!gatech!{akgua}!rebel!george