[net.rumor] The End of the Universe

pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) (02/25/86)

                                 -
This newsgroup was raging with a  rumor  about  a  future  particle
accelerator  capable of producing energies high enough to cause the
present universe to change state (i.e., the known laws  of  physics
would change).

I must, regretfully, inform the net that  such  machine  must  have
been  built, because I have observed that basic fundamental univer-
sal laws have begun to change.

I was standing before a vending machine, quarter in hand,  deciding
which  product  to buy therefrom.  As I was placing the coin in the
slot, it slipped from my hand, fell upon the floor, rolled in  lazy
circles, and came to rest beside my feet.  It obviously should have
rolled underneath the vending machine, down the  nearby  drain,  or
into the floor vent, never to be seen again.

Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.

See you on the other side.

 Paul Given             {ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!pagiven
              AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
 11900 N. Pecos, Rm 1B04, Denver 80234              (303)-538-4058

slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) (02/25/86)

Yes, it is true--the end is near!

Sunday I did all my washing.  NOT ONE SOCK DISAPPEARED IN THE DRYER.

The effect has obviously started in the Denver area--no doubt
initiated by some bizarre isotope at Rocky Flats.
--

                                     Sue Brezden
                                     ihnp4!drutx!slb

      Nirvana?  That's a place where the powers that be and
      their friends hang out.
                                       --Zonker Harris

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/27/86)

In article <681@drutx.UUCP> slb@drutx.UUCP (Sue Brezden) writes:

>Yes, it is true--the end is near!
>
>Sunday I did all my washing.  NOT ONE SOCK DISAPPEARED IN THE DRYER.

	Ohmigod!!!! I think you're right. I looked in my closet this morning,
and ALL OF THE HANGERS WERE HOOKED ON THE POLE IN THE SAME DIRECTION!!!

	Sell the kids! Pack up the house! Burn the fields! We're coming
to join you, Ubizmo!

--
					--MKR

When in Rome, do as the ancient Etruscans used to do before they
became extinct because of the things they used to do.

phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) (02/28/86)

In article <680@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:
>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.

This is true.  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
--
						Tommy Phillips
From the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River,

				cisden!phillips

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (03/02/86)

> This is true.  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
> machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
> he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>
>						Tommy Phillips

It seems to me that in this case Murphy's law is working just fine.
It's just gotten smarter.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/04/86)

Not losing socks?  Hangers pointing the same way?  Humbug!  I have
***REAL*** evidence that the laws of physics have changed.  I just
read something intelligent on net.religion...
--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (03/04/86)

In article <680@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:

>This newsgroup was raging with a  rumor  about  a  future  particle
>accelerator  capable of producing energies high enough to cause the
>present universe to change state (i.e., the known laws  of  physics
>would change).
>
>I must, regretfully, inform the net that  such  machine  must  have
>been  built, because I have observed that basic fundamental univer-
>sal laws have begun to change.
>
>I was standing before a vending machine, quarter in hand,  deciding
>which  product  to buy therefrom.  As I was placing the coin in the
>slot, it slipped from my hand, fell upon the floor, rolled in  lazy
>circles, and came to rest beside my feet.  It obviously should have
>rolled underneath the vending machine, down the  nearby  drain,  or
>into the floor vent, never to be seen again.
>
>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.

Ah... if you're expecting something to happen and it does, then you are
saying that one of Murphy's Laws has been violated.

But, in this case, you were expecting the worst to happen and it didn't.
Therefore, Murphy's Law has not been violated- what you expected to happen
did not.

Relax, everyone. The universe is safe. You may return to your news reading.

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

Give an ape control of its environment and it will fill the world with bananas.

cwd@cuae2.UUCP (Chris Donahue) (03/04/86)

The universe must be close to its end. I was able to get a parking spot
right outside of the restaurant I was going to in downtown Chicago. I normally
park 5 blocks away! Then, to top it off, I got one right next to the bar
I was going to on a side street! A side street! Those cars on the street never
move!

Chris Donahue

jkw@lanl.ARPA (Jay Wooten) (03/04/86)

> .............  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
> machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
> he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
> --
> 						Tommy Phillips
> From the banks of the great grey-green greasy Limpopo River,
> all set about with fever-trees.
>
> 				cisden!phillips

The ways of Murphy are subtle...have you considered the effects on your brain
and body of 2 Mountain Dews back to back ???

       ~ Dust in the wind...All we are is dust in the wind......... ~
	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/05/86)

In article <70@lanl.ARPA> jkw@lanl.UUCP writes:
>> .............  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
>> machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
>> he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>> --
>> 						Tommy Phillips
>
>The ways of Murphy are subtle...have you considered the effects on your brain
>and body of 2 Mountain Dews back to back ???
>
>	  Jay Wooten  Los Alamos National Lab  ARPA:jkw@lanl.ARPA

My empty Mountain Dew can stack grows higher daily.  And Tommy, fear not, it's
not the end of the world.  We had a nice Pepsi machine here from which, for only
25 cents (sometimes) you could extract two Mug Root Beers, and one of anything
else.  The (sometimes) pertaining to the price; you could always get the root
beers at any rate.  This was cured the quick-and-dirty way; instead of repairing
the machine, they changed the root-beer reservoir into one of Diet Pepsi.

Have you considered the effects on non-synthetic materials of two Mug Root Beers
back to back?

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

bangs@h-sc1.UUCP (alex bangs) (03/06/86)

*
>> This is true.  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
>> machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
>> he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>It seems to me that in this case Murphy's law is working just fine.
>It's just gotten smarter.

I would say that it is just a standard part of Murphy's Law that no one
discusses.  That is, usually the traffic on the other side of the highway is
moving faster than your side, but * sometimes * you are actually on the good
side.  It just gives you a little confidence before you get screwed again.
--
Alex L. Bangs    Harvard University    net: bangs@h-sc4.UUCP
                                            bangs@h-sc4.HARVARD.EDU

john@cisden.UUCP (John Woolley) (03/06/86)

In article <70@lanl.ARPA> jkw@lanl.ARPA (Jay Wooten) writes:
>> .............  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
>> machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
>> he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>> 						Tommy Phillips
>
>The ways of Murphy are subtle...have you considered the effects on your brain
>and body of 2 Mountain Dews back to back ???

Mr. Wooten doesn't know Tommy Phillips.  Tommy is a friend of mine, and I
think I can safely say that no non-fatal dose of any drug, Mountain Dew
included, would affect him noticeably one way or the other.

Just setting the record straight.
--
				Peace and Good!,
				      Fr. John Woolley

m113aw@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Ariel Mazzarelli) (03/07/86)

It is my understanding that the recent hospitalization of the
author of "Bloom County" is the result of recent efforts by a
certain religious Christian Fundamentalist sect in order to prevent the
announcement of the apocalypse a-la-Halley's comet, which a certain
cartoon hacker was disseminating with the help of his Banana Jr.

I cannot sign this, for I have not purchased apocalypse insurance.

ins_ampm@jhunix.UUCP (Michael P McKenna) (03/07/86)

In article <1794@cuae2.UUCP> cwd@cuae2.UUCP (-Chris Donahue) writes:
>The universe must be close to its end. I was able to get a parking spot
>right outside of the restaurant I was going to in downtown Chicago. I normally
>park 5 blocks away! Then, to top it off, I got one right next to the bar
>I was going to on a side street! A side street! Those cars on the street never
>move!

What you (and the guy who got two Mountain Dews), are failing to realize
is that Murphy's law is NOT EXEMPT from Murphy's Law.

                                                     Dwight S. Wilson

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/07/86)

Look, people, stop worrying about this issue.

The Universe will end when I tell it to, and not one minute before.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/09/86)

In article <532@cisden.UUCP> phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) writes:
>In article <680@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:
>>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.
>
>This is true.  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
>machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
>he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
A few days ago, I walked over to a Coke machine, put a quarter in, and all
of a sudden it just dropped right through.  I repeated this process a few
times, and then pushed a button:  I got a free Coke!  Something for nothing!
Murphy is spinning in his grave.
							Carl Greenberg

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/10/86)

> Not losing socks?  Hangers pointing the same way?  Humbug!  I have
> ***REAL*** evidence that the laws of physics have changed.  I just
> read something intelligent on net.religion...

It was probably generated by line noise.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"I'm sorry, sir. According to your identification you're not even born
 yet. Come back in 500 years."

gottlieb@alliant.UUCP (Bob Gottlieb) (03/11/86)

In article <479@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>Look, people, stop worrying about this issue.

>The Universe will end when I tell it to, and not one minute before.
                                              ^^^ ^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Based on what I've been hearing about Thiotimoline, I suspect that the
universe WILL end one minute before you tell it to.

--

						-- Bob Gottlieb
UUCP: ...!linus!alliant!gottlieb

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/11/86)

You people forget those vital meta-laws:

     If Murphy's Law can go wrong, it will.

     If one or more things that could have gone wrong didn't, it is probably
     because it would have been ultimately beneficial for them to have gone
     wrong.

Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)
"Remember these three words:  Don't argue."
"That's two words."
"You're starting already!"

hutch@hammer.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (03/11/86)

In article <107@proper.UUCP> carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) writes:
>In article <532@cisden.UUCP> phillips@cisden.UUCP (Tom Phillips) writes:
>>In article <680@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:
>>>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>>>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>>>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>>>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>>>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.
>A few days ago, I walked over to a Coke machine, put a quarter in, and all
>of a sudden it just dropped right through.  I repeated this process a few
>times, and then pushed a button:  I got a free Coke!  Something for nothing!
>Murphy is spinning in his grave.
>							Carl Greenberg

Especially uncomfortable for poor Murphy since he is still quite alive!
Hutch

bob@scgvaxd.UUCP (Bob Guernsey) (03/11/86)

>>>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>>>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>>>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>>>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>>>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.
>>
>>This is true.  The other day I pushed the Mountain Dew button on our pop
>>machine and got TWO!  Murphy rolled over in his grave, but there was nothing
>>he could do about it. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>A few days ago, I walked over to a Coke machine, put a quarter in, and all
>of a sudden it just dropped right through.  I repeated this process a few
>times, and then pushed a button:  I got a free Coke!  Something for nothing!
>Murphy is spinning in his grave.
Murphy Keep on spinning.  A few years ago, I was getting change from a
dollar change machine at a laundromat.  The machine refused to take my
dollar after repeated tries.  Suddenly another came out of the machine
and there I was with two dollars instead of one.  !Sorry Murphy... These
things happen.!
				Posted for Eric Morgan
				     by Bob Guernsey.

kaufman@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/12/86)

> Look, people, stop worrying about this issue.

> The Universe will end when I tell it to, and not one minute before.

Not only that, but it will end precisely one minute before I was about
to tell it to do so.

Better late than never,
Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

pete@valid.UUCP (Pete Zakel) (03/13/86)

I haven't lost any socks for at least 2 months.  I think this confirms it,
the universe will end soon and YOU may die!
--
-Pete Zakel (..!{hplabs,amd,pyramid,ihnp4}!pesnta!valid!pete)

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/13/86)

In article <179@moncol.UUCP> john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) writes:
>In article <680@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:
>>
>>Murphy's Law (The probability of anything  happening  is  inversely
>>proportional  to  its  desirability),  known to physicists from the
>>ancient Greek times to be  one  of  the  fundamental  laws  of  the
>>universe,  has been violated.  The fabric of the space-time contin-
>>uum has been torn asunder and the end is near.
>
>Ah... if you're expecting something to happen and it does, then you are
>saying that one of Murphy's Laws has been violated.
>
>But, in this case, you were expecting the worst to happen and it didn't.
>Therefore, Murphy's Law has not been violated- what you expected to happen
>did not.

	There is a corrallary to Murphy's Law to the effect that:

"Washing your car to make it rain won't work. "

--
					--MKR

If Man were meant to use the metric system, Jesus would have had
10 disciples.

okin@sun.uucp (Ken Okin) (03/14/86)

> You people forget those vital meta-laws:
>
>      If Murphy's Law can go wrong, it will.
>
>      If one or more things that could have gone wrong didn't, it is probably
>      because it would have been ultimately beneficial for them to have gone
>      wrong.
>
> Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

They also could be waiting for a *better* opportunity to go wrong.

There's also Murphy's law of project management:

	"If everything appears to be going smoothly,
	  you're obviously *not* fully informed."

			Ken Okin (sun!niko!okin)

mwm@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (03/15/86)

In article <479@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:

>Look, people, stop worrying about this issue.

>The Universe will end when I tell it to, and not one minute before.

Sorry, Ed, but I asked it about that last week. The Universe ended two weeks
ago last Wednesday, and is really bummed out because nobody noticed. That's
why things aren't going wrong right.

	<mike

sji2796@ritcv.UUCP (03/15/86)

In article <3359@sun.uucp> okin@sun.uucp (Ken Okin) writes:

>There's also Murphy's law of project management:
>
>	"If everything appears to be going smoothly,
>	  you're obviously *not* fully informed."

 See? The way I heard that was:

        "If you can keep your head while all about you
         are losing theirs, then you probably haven't
         checked with your answering service."

         Rudyard Kipling, quoted by Hawkeye Pierce  ("Welcome To Korea," pt I)

ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) (03/18/86)

> > Look, people, stop worrying about this issue.
>
> > The Universe will end when I tell it to, and not one minute before.
>
> Not only that, but it will end precisely one minute before I was about
> to tell it to do so.
>
> Better late than never,
> Ken Kaufman (uiucdcs!kaufman)

	I'll be there with a stop watch to help you out.

	"When you're late, you have to be late on time."

|  Fai  Lau                                                                   |
|  ECE / CS  SUNYAB                                                           |
|  BI: ugfailau@sunybcs                                                       |

mag@gitpyr.UUCP (Mark A. Gravitt) (03/19/86)

In article <546@scgvaxd.UUCP> bob@scgvaxd.UUCP (Bob Guernsey) writes:
>Murphy Keep on spinning.  A few years ago, I was getting change from a
>dollar change machine at a laundromat.  The machine refused to take my
>dollar after repeated tries.  Suddenly another came out of the machine
>and there I was with two dollars instead of one.  !Sorry Murphy... These
>things happen.!
>				Posted for Eric Morgan
>				     by Bob Guernsey.

It all depends on your point of view. To those who had to maintain that
bill changer, Murphy's Law behaved almost as expected.

Of course, for it to be a true Murphy machine, it should have torn your
dollar in two, given you $0.45 and half of the bill...

--

Mark A. Gravitt
User Assistant III

merrill@dec-raja.UUCP (03/25/86)

ohmigowd  Murphy's law is recursive!

lemmesee  if something goes wrong and i was expecting it to then it didn't...
nowaitaminute  Murphys law says that whatever i expect to happen won't ...

nevermind!