[net.rumor] Electric powered cars

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (03/26/86)

Does anyone know what happened to (or even remember) Gulf+Western's
electric car?  Seems they'd found a way to store power in a kind of
chlorine slush battery that lasted longer and held more charge.  When they
found Detroit wasn't interested they decided to develop it themselves.
This I read in Time/Newsweek a few years ago.  Since then, nothing.

okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) (03/28/86)

In article <294@uvacs.UUCP> mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) writes:
>Does anyone know what happened to (or even remember) Gulf+Western's
>electric car?

The design was scrapped.  It had been a good idea, but the cost of
the extension cord was prohibitive.

                                                ---Duck

P.S. Chlorine slush batteries are currently available in auto parts stores.
        (At least I think they're chlorine slush.)  These things require
        NO water, are completely sealed, and pack a bigger whallop than
        the standard lead-acid car batteries.