[net.rumor] Orphaned Response

stevel@haddock.UUCP (03/15/84)

#R:ihldt:-225100:haddock:15500002:177600:231
haddock!stevel    Feb 21 15:37:00 1984

KLM is the Dutch national airline. Korean Airline has no such
abreviation that I know of.

Repeat KLM had nothing to do with the Korean airline 007 flight.

Steve Ludlum, decvax!yale-co!ima!stevel, {ucbvax|ihnp4}!cbosgd!ima!stevel

andrew@inmet.UUCP (03/31/84)

#R:uvacs:-119000:inmet:8000003:177600:295
inmet!andrew    Mar 28 12:36:00 1984

Can anyone tell me where the name "Foonly" came from?  I thought "Apple"
was a strange name for a computer... this reminds me of "foobar" or
Mr. Natural's sidekick, Flakey Foont.  It just doesn't sound like a
serious name.

Andrew W. Rogers, Intermetrics    ...{harpo|ima|esquire}!inmet!andrew

dan@haddock.UUCP (04/22/84)

#R:eosp1:-76100:haddock:15500004:177600:355
haddock!dan    Apr 21 01:56:00 1984

There aren't three different types of caffeine, but there are two
other closely related xanthines that we get a lot of.
These are theophylline (found, with caffeine, in tea leaves) and
theobromine (found, also with caffeine, in cocoa).  Theobromine means,
I am told, "food of the gods" (but all us confirmed chocoholics already
knew that).

	Dan Franklin

steve@zinfandel.UUCP (07/05/84)

#R:brl-vgr:-18800:zinfandel:10700006:177600:297
zinfandel!steve    Jul  3 13:50:00 1984

    I don't know about rainbows.  Does anybody have an explanation for
    the little spring loaded hands on suction cups?

    -Ron

Disk drive manufacturers invented the little hands to stick on top of the
disk drive and wave at you when the system was thrashing too much.

zehntel!steve nelson

paul@umich.UUCP (04/28/85)

> I still have a feeling that their sales force is a little
> inexperienced.

I have been trying for 6 weeks to get someone from Sun's Chicago
office to make it to Ann Arbor (230 miles) with no luck.  I think
I am waiting for a Detroit office to open, but am not sure.

Well, Detroit's about 45 miles from A2, so maybe it will only
take a week and a half once that office is opened.

--paul

zrm@prism.UUCP (05/31/85)

The Seybold Report reported that NBI did like like CCI's financials.

NBI did recently buy Inegrated Solutions to get a mid-range Unix machine
running 4.2 to complement NBI's own small 4.2 machine. I guess they were
interested in CCI's ECL thunder lizard 4.2 machine for the high end.

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/05/85)

> NBI did recently buy Inegrated Solutions to get a mid-range Unix machine
> running 4.2 to complement NBI's own small 4.2 machine. I guess they were
> interested in CCI's ECL thunder lizard 4.2 machine for the high end.

Could be, except that the thunder lizard in question (Power 6/32) is plain
old boring 2901-style TTL, not ECL...

	Guy Harris

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (06/08/85)

> NBI did recently buy Inegrated Solutions to get a mid-range Unix machine
> running 4.2 to complement NBI's own small 4.2 machine. I guess they were
> interested in CCI's ECL thunder lizard 4.2 machine for the high end.

For your info, the CCI's 'thunder lizard'
	A) Is NOT an ECL machine. It is standard TTL technology. I know,
	   there were plenty of articles trying to prove that only ECL can
	   achieve this speed. Well, we proved them wrong.
	B) It's not only a 4.2 machine. It runs AT&T's system 5 as well.

					Gershon Shamay at CCI-CPG
			Home of the Power 6/32 supermini (fastest in the west)
				{rlgvax, ccice5, pertec}!ccicpg!gershon

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/10/85)

> For your info, the CCI's 'thunder lizard'
> 	B) It's not only a 4.2 machine. It runs AT&T's system 5 as well.
Actually, it is neither, real 4.2 or Sys V enthusiests would not be
pleased at their use of these titles.

-Ron

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/13/85)

> > For your info, the CCI's 'thunder lizard'
> > 	B) It's not only a 4.2 machine. It runs AT&T's system 5 as well.
> Actually, it is neither, real 4.2 or Sys V enthusiests would not be
> pleased at their use of these titles.

The OS done for the 6/32 at CCI Office Systems Group was basically "4.2BSD
as it would have looked had it been based on S5R2".  S5R2 programs that
didn't depend on directory entry formats, file system layout, or internal
kernel data structures compiled and ran.  4.2 programs stood a good change
of running, although if you expected "sprintf" to return a pointer to its
buffer or expected RAW mode to work 100% like the 4.2BSD one you'd be
disappointed (the S5 "sprintf" returns a count of characters printed, and
RAW mode can't be simulated with an S5 driver without adding some extra
hidden state) - all the other 4.2BSD stuff except for useless stuff like
LTILDE was there, though.  The software group in Irvine put the System V IPC
mechanisms into 4.2, so they are there also.

This was what we had running on the VAX at CCI OSG.  I don't know what
subset of 4.2BSD facilities was present on the 6/32 (there were some things
that weren't there when I left) or what set of the facilities in the OS we
did ended up in the final system (that system is still being worked on, I
think, so the final cut hasn't occurred yet).

	Guy Harris

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (06/17/85)

	Well, Ron at brl-tgr.ARPA, thank you for your inspired comment on
	the version of Unix that we run. To quote your reply,
=== Start quote ===

> 	B) It's not only a 4.2 machine. It runs AT&T's system 5 as well.
Actually, it is neither, real 4.2 or Sys V enthusiests would not be
pleased at their use of these titles.

=== End quote ===

	I assume you have our great (!) machine and use it daily, so
	for sure you know what you're saying. Just to offer my humble
	opinion: being the person who realy IS in charge of these ports,
	I would like to claim that we DO have 4.2 in-house (running on
	about 6 machines here) plus quite a few outside. Why won't you
	let me know:
	1) The version number of your own Power 6 Unix, so I can tell you
	   if there's an update to it.
	2) What exactly makes your own machine a 'non-4.2' so I
	   can fix it asap.

	Second, your opinion that it's not a real system V did cause me
	a real dilema :-). The system 5 is in internal alpha-testing and will
	be released on June 30. Software QA is still going on on what we
	believe to be the final version. How on earth did you test it and
	came to the conclusion that system 5 fans won't like it?

	Very truly yours (though skeptical about your sources of info),

					Gershon Shamay at CCI-CPG
			Home of the Power 6/32 supermini (fastest in the west)
				{rlgvax, ccice5, pertec}!ccicpg!gershon

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (06/17/85)

	Well, Guy Harris, thanks for helping me tell the world about our
	(should I use 'my', since you're no longer at CCI?) Power 6/32
	and the OS(s) that it runs. Just to set the record straight:
	1) As you correctly pointed out, the stuff you did at OSG was
	   running first on a VAX, not on 6/32. If a port was started, it
	   was never released.
	2) The only released 4.2 version and system 5 version on 6/32
	   come from CPG, in Irvine.
	3) The OSG version was used for a couple of ideas while
	   porting system 5 to 6/32. However, the final stuff is nowhere
	   near the VAX stuff. Anyone who looks at our real releases will
	   find it to adhere to system 5 standards (yes, even the signal
	   numbers and system call numbers and ....).
	4) Trying to tell what the real machine looks like just by telling
	   what some VAX looked like in the past is a fruitless
	   exercise.

	Very truly yours

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/19/85)

> 	Second, your opinion that it's not a real system V did cause me
> 	a real dilema :-). The system 5 is in internal alpha-testing and will
> 	be released on June 30. Software QA is still going on on what we
> 	believe to be the final version. How on earth did you test it and
> 	came to the conclusion that system 5 fans won't like it?

Very good, since you haven't released the system 5, it should be readily
clear to you that I was basing it on the version of UNIX that you have
released.  Since it doesn't really approximate system V, people won't
like it.  It's hard to base product evaluation on the daydreamings of
future releases, you have to work with what has been released.  I'll
believe the info on the future releases when I see it.  Previous lies
by corporate CCI will make it doubtful that anyone here will ever procure
one of your machines.

-Ron

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/20/85)

> 	1) As you correctly pointed out, the stuff you did at OSG was
> 	   running first on a VAX, not on 6/32. If a port was started, it
> 	   was never released.

Not only was the port started, but it is now running on "rlgvax" which is a
Power 6/32.

> 	3) The OSG version was used for a couple of ideas while
> 	   porting system 5 to 6/32. However, the final stuff is nowhere
> 	   near the VAX stuff.

Why?  Why re-invent the wheel?

>	    Anyone who looks at our real releases will find it to adhere to
>	    system 5 standards (yes, even the signal numbers and system call
>	    numbers and ....).

Again, why?  The System V Interface definition says nothing about signal
numbers or system call numbers.  The actual numbers assigned are irrelevant.
The OSG system adheres to the S5 Interface Definition as well as System V
Release 2 does; it also supports the System V commands and also supports the
Berkeley commands (except for those which conflict).

> 	4) Trying to tell what the real machine looks like just by telling
> 	   what some VAX looked like in the past is a fruitless
> 	   exercise.

However, a "real" Power 6/32 is running that very OS *now*.

	Guy Harris

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (06/24/85)

Ron, at brl-tgr tells me:

> since you haven't released the system 5, it should be readily
> clear to you that I was basing it on the version of UNIX that you have
> released.  Since it doesn't really approximate system V, people won't
> like it.

Thank you Ron, for the truth. What WAS released by me until now was
a 4.2BSD version for the Power 6/32. It was never intended to even
approximate system 5. Sure system 5 people won't like it, because
it's a BSD stuff. But 4.2 fans sure do like it.
Let me state again that the system 5 version is released now, as
we sheduled, by end of June. It doesn't try to approximate a
4.2BSD (if someone was thinking about it), it's a straight system 5.
	Last, about people liking it, there are a lot of people who
like it. Especially the machine performance. Sorry you cannot get
some (did you realy ever try it seriously, or do you just base
all your knowlege on net.rumor?).

					Gershon Shamay at CCI-CPG
			Home of the Power 6/32 supermini (fastest in the west)
				{rlgvax, ccice5, pertec}!ccicpg!gershon

jlp@faust.UUCP (06/25/85)

{}

364.4 + 1 ear, using the 1958 Benchmark Smoot. ( I understand he's gained
some weight along the measuring diameter).

Jerryl Payne
...!ihnp4!inmet!faust!jlp

woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) (07/19/85)

>                                       UC Berkeley is the best of
> all possible worlds, much better than any school in the god-awful EAST!
> [Snow, ice, ooh!  I thank the lord that I am now in a civilized state].

It snowed in Berkeley (and San Francisco)  during the winter  quarter of
1977.  There were *many*  fender-benders  in SF due to the steep streets
and the drivers who didn't know how to drive in 1/2" of snow!

P.S:  Does anybody on ucbvax live in or know somebody  that lives in 802
Putnam Hall?  I want to check on my wood-paneled wall...

Steve Wolf					 Hewlett-Packard Company
{ihnp4|hplabs}!hpfcla!woof			  Fort Collins, Colorado

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (Mike (I'll be mellow when I'm dead) Meyer) (07/26/85)

In article <17100001@hpfclm.UUCP> woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) writes:
>It snowed in Berkeley (and San Francisco)  during the winter  quarter of
>1977.  There were *many*  fender-benders  in SF due to the steep streets
>and the drivers who didn't know how to drive in 1/2" of snow!

Then again, there's Dallas, where the roads iced up, and the city was
declared disaster area.

	<mike

ayers@convexs.UUCP (08/05/85)

/* ---------- "Re: Orphaned Response" ---------- */
In article <17100001@hpfclm.UUCP> woof@hpfcla.UUCP (woof) writes:
>It snowed in Berkeley (and San Francisco)  during the winter  quarter of
>1977.  There were *many*  fender-benders  in SF due to the steep streets
>and the drivers who didn't know how to drive in 1/2" of snow!

Then again, there's Dallas, where the roads iced up, and the city was
declared disaster area.

	<mike
/* End of text ------------------------------- */

Hey! I'm from the Dallas area and was there at the time in question, and
I just want to say:

			what are facts doing on net.rumor?

				blues, II

			world's leading exopsychologist
			(If Carl can do it, I can do it)

sei239@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (09/20/85)

/* Written  4:22 pm  Jun 14, 1985 by nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP in uiucuxa:net.rumor */
/* ---------- "$10 Reward" ---------- */
My second favorite album (Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here") has been on
compact disk for a while.  My third favorite album (Pink Floyd's
"Animals") has just been released on compact disk.  Unfortunately, my
favorite album, Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" is nowhere to be seen on
compact disk!  I have heard rumors that it exists, but that it is very
rare.  I have no idea whether these rumors are true or not.  In any
case, wanna help me complete my collection and make some dough?

	I AM OFFERING A $10 REWARD

for information leading to me purchasing Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" on
compact disk.

			"Not until I'm ready for you
			 Not until I'm ready for you
			 Can I have it all"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP {or ARPA}
/* End of text from uiucuxa:net.rumor */

sei239@uiucuxa.Uiuc.ARPA (09/20/85)

ZZ

brianu@faust.UUCP (02/27/86)

Cray XMP computers have a thing called "The Peripheral Expander Chasis".
It is used to store the object image of the Operating System.
Anyway, the old version of this chasis included an 80-megabyte disk
drive that had the "feature" of sometimes being able to recover from
a head crash.  What this means is that a single head crash will kill
your disk, but the heads may be o.k. (or not).  Subsequent reads and
writes will either work o.k. or get i/o errors which may damgage
damage new areas of the disk pack.  In any case, there is no
indication that the problem was a head crash.
  Originally, the Cray was booted from the tape drive, but a new
version of the O.S. gave us the ability to boot from the disk (much
faster). So, for safety's sake we made backups on all our packs and
onto tapes.  What we didn't know was that we had had a head crash
when making the first backup to disk.  We booted o.k. for a while
(reads were o.k.) but when we changed a file on the disk, it
suddenly stopped working.  We tried the backups, but they all failed;
each in a different way, and so did the tapes (made from bad disks
remember). We thought we had a problem in the cables or something.
Gen: And do you mean to say that you would deliberately rob me of
  these the sole remaining props of my old age, and leave me to go
  through the remainder of life unfriended, unprotected, and alone?
Pirate: Well, yes; that's the idea.

Brian Utterback     Intermetrics Inc.
733 Concord Ave. Cambridge MA. 02138. (617) 661-1840
UUCP: {cca!ima,ihnp4}!inmet!faust!brianu
Life: UCLA!PCS!Telos!Cray!I**2

>ARPA@c (03/09/86)

001

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (03/28/86)