[net.rumor] *FLAME* Re: Computer Horror Stories

sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) (03/20/86)

Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
Does anyone else agree with me?

--

Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

jsl@osiris.UUCP (Jeffrey S. Levine) (03/21/86)

> Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
> Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
> on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
> Does anyone else agree with me?
>
> --
>
> Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

If there is no net.bizzare, where do they go?

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (03/21/86)

In article <205@nbs-amrf.UUCP>, sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
> Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
> Does anyone else agree with me?

I agree completely.  I don't know either.
--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (03/22/86)

In article <205@nbs-amrf.UUCP> sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
>Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>Does anyone else agree with me?
I agree.  Net.rumour is NOT the place for all these Computer Horror
Stories, End_Of_The_Universe tales, et cetera.  Yes, they tend to be
interesting, and also are fun to read.  I get some good chuckles out
of them.  Where is the correct place?  I know.  It's not net.rumour.
It's not net.jokes.  It's not net.bugs.hardware.  It's net.bizarre.
							Carl Greenberg

mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu (Lawrence J. Mazlack) (03/22/86)

>Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>Does anyone else agree with me?
>
>--
>
>Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

Hey, keep em coming.  My only regret is that I did not start saving them at the
start.  If someone has a complete copy, please E-mail.

Keep em here.

Larry Mazlack
  UUCP		{tektronix,dual,sun,ihnp4,decvax}!ucbvax!ucbernie!mazlack
  New style	mazlack@ernie.berkeley.edu
  ARPA | CSNET	mazlack%ernie@berkeley.ARPA
  BITNET   	mazlack@ucbernie.BITNET
  telephone     (415) 528-0496
  snail         CS Dept, 571 Evans, U. California, Berkeley, CA 94720

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (03/22/86)

In article <205@nbs-amrf.UUCP> sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
>Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>Does anyone else agree with me?

No, because:

a) there is no other appropriate place, and more importantly,
b) most of the ones (especially now that the initial flurry is gone)
   start or end with "I don't know if this is really true" or "I heard
   a story/rumor that".

Sounds like rumors to me, since my dictionary says they (rumors) are
"unverified pieces of information of uncertain origin".
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!burl!rcj

mellon@mit-prep.ARPA (Ted Lemonmellon/.name) (03/22/86)

>   Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>   Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>   on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>   Does anyone else agree with me?

	No, Jeff.   I disagree.   These computer horror stories are
	lots of fun.   Perhaps I am not in tune with the original
	stated purpose of net.rumors, but I think this is as
	appropriate a place as any to have them.   Many of them are,
	after all, rumours...   :'>

			       _MelloN_--
Ted Lemon
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!mellon
INTERNET:   mellon@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 18 Kennedy Drive, North Chelmsford, Massachusetts

okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) (03/24/86)

In article <723@osiris.UUCP> jsl@osiris.UUCP (Jeffrey S. Levine) writes:
>> Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>> Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>> on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>> Does anyone else agree with me?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder
>
>If there is no net.bizzare, where do they go?

Oh gods of the network, we beseech you for a net.crashes.odd
(or something like that.)

In the meantime, I can not think of another place for them to go.
net.jokes is populated with rubbish, much of it not worth reading.
Some of these horror stories are not funny anyway, though still
worth reading.  a Net.stories.horror won't do it, this stuff is not
Alfred Hitchcock material.

Cany anybody out there think of one word that means 'Computer Horror Stories"?

							---Duck

follmer@hplabsb.UUCP (Stephen Follmer) (03/25/86)

Try net.wanted, I think there's some horror stories there too.
Maybe we need a net.stories or net.tall.tales.  I think rumors
is the closest though.

dab@myrias.UUCP (Danny Boulet) (03/25/86)

If anyone has a complete set, please tell us all how to get it...
Thanks in advance.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/25/86)

>> Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>> Does anyone else agree with me?
>
>I agree completely.  I don't know either.

How about net.bizarre?

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) (03/26/86)

In article <2050@gondor.UUCP> okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) writes:
>In article <723@osiris.UUCP> jsl@osiris.UUCP (Jeffrey S. Levine) writes:
>>> .
>>> .
>>> Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder
>>If there is no net.bizzare, where do they go?
>Oh gods of the network, we beseech you for a net.crashes.odd
>(or something like that.)
>
>In the meantime, I can not think of another place for them to go.
>net.jokes is populated with rubbish, much of it not worth reading.
>Some of these horror stories are not funny anyway, though still
>worth reading.  a Net.stories.horror won't do it, this stuff is not
>Alfred Hitchcock material.
>
>Cany anybody out there think of one word that means 'Computer Horror Stories"?
>
>							---Duck

I really dont think we should get to concerned about outbreaks of
this nature.  It seems simular things happen in each group and
every time there are always some who get annoyed.  Personally I just subscribed
because of a cross ref to net.misc, I went hungrily through ~170 articles in
a day, GREAT stuff.  Actually a new group is not really needed. If one just
has a little patience soon all of the stories get played out.  Count to ten
before you flame about outbreaks, besides they make life interesting.

Oh, BTW The perfect group name for all stories, horror or not would
                                       ^^^^^^^
be .... net.anecdotes.
[New World] Anecdote:
1) Little-known entertaining facts of history or biography; hence,
2) a short, entertaining account of some happening, usually personal
   or biographical.

Anecdote fits the bill perfectly for most of the recent 100 or so postings
in net.rumor.  How about net.anecdotes if people are really concerned.

dave schuh

IknowyoubelieveyouenderstandwhatIthinkIsaidbut
I'mnotsureyourealizethatwhatyouheardisnotwhatImeant.

!uwvax!geowhiz!schuh

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/26/86)

>> Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>> Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>> on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>> Does anyone else agree with me?
> I agree.  Net.rumour is NOT the place for all these Computer Horror
> Stories, End_Of_The_Universe tales, et cetera.  Yes, they tend to be
> interesting, and also are fun to read.  I get some good chuckles out
> of them.  Where is the correct place?  I know.  It's not net.rumour.
> It's not net.jokes.  It's not net.bugs.hardware.  It's net.bizarre.

I don't know why people mention net.bizarre in connection with these stories -
most of them have been much more interesting than anything that appeared
in net.bizarre. I think that it's time to create net.anecdote. There is
clearly enough volume to justify the group. Further discussion should go to
net.news.group.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

Green s/m watchlizard seeks s/f/wl - object: companionship. Reply
Box 23, Cynosure.

shark@unirot.UUCP (chris rhodes) (03/27/86)

In article <391@geowhiz.UUCP> schuh@geowhiz.UUCP (David Schuh) writes:
>Oh, BTW The perfect group name for all stories, horror or not would
>                                       ^^^^^^^
>be .... net.anecdotes.

...and from there, we could have net.anecdotes.systemdeath.

---
Chris Rhodes / Shooting Shark / Tiburon Systems
uucp : {ihnp4,seismo,qantel,sun,etc.}!lll-crg!csuh!shark (preferred)
				     !caip!unirot!shark  (It'll do)

My opinions are those of my own and Tiburon Systems.  I don't care
what csuh and unirot think.

tainter@ihlpg.UUCP (Tainter) (03/27/86)

> Cany anybody out there think of one word that means 'Computer Horror Stories"?
>                                                         ---Duck

IBM?
--j.a.tainter

hankb@teklds.UUCP (Hank Buurman) (03/28/86)

In article <205@nbs-amrf.UUCP> sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
>Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
>Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
>on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
>Does anyone else agree with me?

                    NO!

esmith@muddcs.UUCP (Eric Smith) (03/28/86)

^(..)^

    I think an appropriate name for a new newsgroup dealing with computer
horror stories is net.anecdote.  I think that could become a very amusing
newsgroup.

				Eric Smith

jlh@loral.UUCP (Killer Of Giants) (03/28/86)

In article <205@nbs-amrf.UUCP>, sauder@nbs-amrf.UUCP (Jeff Sauder) writes:
> Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
> Yes, they tend to be interesting.  However, they are out of place
> on this newsgroup.  Where is the correct place?  I don't know.
> Does anyone else agree with me?
>
> --
>
> Jeff Sauder     {seismo,umcp-cs}!nbs-amrf!sauder

The correct place is net.flame, but some dipturd removed that group so I
find the stuff all over the net.  BRING BACK NET.FLAME!!!
Does anyone else agree with me?

cbk@se-sd.UUCP (cbk) (03/29/86)

[ Insert generic programming superstition here ]

>Can anybody out there think of one word that means 'Computer Horror Stories"?
>
>							---Duck

   I've been told that these are called "rumors". Can anyone verify this?

-- Carl

woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) (03/29/86)

> >Net.rumor is NOT the place for all these computer horror stories.
> >Does anyone else agree with me?

  Yes, I agree. This is NOT net.bizarre, despite all the jerks who are not
accepting the FACT that that group is no more, and USENET can no longer be
net.post-whatever-you-feel-like, unless, of course, you'd like to
pay my employer $25,000 a year so they can pay the phone bills to remain
the local backbone? Fat chance. Just keep it up, and the next group to
go here (and elsewhere) will be this one. Next, the net.terrorists (I
call them net.you-pay-for-MY-garbage) will ruin another group, and another,
and soon there will be no more net. Have at it, assholes.

--Greg

You know, guys, the volume of traffic debating whether net.rumor is really
a good place for computer horror stories is starting to considerably exceed
the volume of computer horror stories.  Would it not have been better to
just keep quiet for a little while in hopes that the fad would run its course?
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

robert@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (04/01/86)

In article <2035@hao.UUCP>, woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>   Yes, I agree. This is NOT net.bizarre, despite all the jerks who are not
> accepting the FACT that that group is no more, and USENET can no longer be
> net.post-whatever-you-feel-like, unless, of course, you'd like to
> pay my employer $25,000 a year so they can pay the phone bills to remain
> the local backbone? Fat chance. Just keep it up, and the next group to
> go here (and elsewhere) will be this one. Next, the net.terrorists (I
> call them net.you-pay-for-MY-garbage) will ruin another group, and another,
> and soon there will be no more net. Have at it, assholes.
>
> --Greg

I heard a rumor that the same people who are complaining about
non-rumors being posted to net.rumors are posting non-rumors to
net.rumors.  I've heard that such actions are generally regarded as
"hypocritical."

I heard another rumor that these same netters compound their
error by using wild statements and vulgar language.  According to the
rumor, this makes it very hard to tell the so-called malicious users
of the net from the so-called concerned users of the net.

Can anyone verify this?

--

	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert