[net.rumor] Lincoln's coffin

jfs@magic.UUCP (Jack Stanley) (04/30/86)

  This is an odd question, but if my memory serves me right, there were

a number of attempts to rob the body of lincoln.     And sometime in this

century, when his body was moved to it's present location, the casket was

checked to see if indeed Lincoln was inside.    And if the memories are

correct, they found him in there and could tell by his features, that it was

Lincoln.         Now are these recollections correct, or have I totally

lost the story as it happened ???????????????????

                  Thanks in advance         Jack Stanley

geoff@ncr-sd.UUCP (Geoff Walton ) (05/02/86)

In article <749@magic.UUCP> jfs@magic.UUCP (Jack Stanley) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>  This is an odd question, but if my memory serves me right, there were
>
>a number of attempts to rob the body of lincoln.
			 ^^^
		Don't you think the undertakers would have
		emptied his pockets before they buried him?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  I'll plead insanity, and
anyone who knows me also knows I'll win.

SERIOUS RUMOUR:
(to appease bandy@ll-crg)
I DID hear, a few weeks back, that NCR was going to
buy-out/merge-with Sperry.  Since someone there has
heard similar rumours, is this STILL a rumour?  Can
anyone confirm this rumourous confirmation?

:r all usual disclaimers

Geoff Walton
NCR E&M San Diego
{wherever}!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!geoff
Even the smallest problem becomes unsolvable if
enough meetings are held to discuss it.

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (05/02/86)

The last person to see Lincoln's body was still alive as of a few
years ago.  Yankee magazine had an article on him;  I believe
that it has been reprinted in a hardcover "Best of Yankee"
collection as well.  Sorry, I don't have the references for
exact titles/dates.

Basically, he was about 11 years old when they last opened the
coffin to move Lincoln's body.  His father was on the group
of official witnesses when they opened the coffin, and arranged
to slip his son into the cemetery to watch.  (Gee, thanks Dad!)
The facial features were still intact, but were covered with a
fine white mold. The article is quite interesting in a macabre
way.
--
"As head of all criminal activity here in Casablanca, I am
a prominent and respected citizen." -- Sidney Greenstreet

droms@purdue.UUCP (Ralph E. Droms) (05/06/86)

In article <467@ncr-sd.UUCP>, geoff@ncr-sd.UUCP (Geoff Walton ) writes:

> SERIOUS RUMOUR:
> (to appease bandy@ll-crg)
> I DID hear, a few weeks back, that NCR was going to
> buy-out/merge-with Sperry.  Since someone there has
> heard similar rumours, is this STILL a rumour?  Can
> anyone confirm this rumourous confirmation?

They way I heard it, Burroughs would like to buy Sperry for $4.5 billion.

BTW, can I get flamed by bandy by metioning PSU?  Jim Lewis - who's the
diminutive PITA you referred to?  Where is Bobgian these days?

Is this *really* a rumor?

					- Ralph

Ralph Droms					ihnp4!purdue!droms
CS G73						droms@purdue.edu