[net.rumor] The TITANIC

jfs@petrus.UUCP (Jack Stanley) (07/16/86)

    I think it is amazing, that the Titanic is being explored.

The reports I have heard have been quite scant on the condition of

the interior of the vessel.   	I am waiting for the photos to start

appearing on the news......   Does anyone have any new info on the vessel?

or on her exploration.

                                       Jack Stanley

mpc@rayssdb.UUCP (Manny P. Costa) (07/18/86)

I'm looking for a pointer to any magazine/book/document/etc. that would
contain a *COMPLETE* list of passengers and crew.  Thus far I've only
been able to come up with a list of First Class Passengers. Anyone got
any info?

I'd also be interrested in any info at all having to do with the Titanic.

--

Manny Costa         {allegra, gatech, ihnp4, linus, raybed2}!rayssd!rayssdb!mpc
Raytheon

As Attila The Hun said when he returned home from the wars,
"Hi homely, I'm Hun."

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vince Manis) (07/19/86)

A letter in this morning's "Globe and Mail" (Canada's National Newspaper)
says that the Titanic is slowly moving west. Whereas earlier reports had it
about 600 km off Newfoundland, more recent stories have used figures such as
320 km (the possibility of error, sloppy research, or typographical errors
can of course be discounted).

I am looking forward to seeing the Titanic here in Vancouver in a year or so
(though how it is going to manage to cross the Prairies I don't know).

arh@usl.UUCP (Al the swamp-sailor) (07/22/86)

	I realize this is a little hard to believe (I'm not sure I buy it
myself....), but the story is that the little camera-robot that's cruising
around inside the ship has captured pictures of the chandelier HANGING in the
main ballroom of the ship.

	Has anybody seen this??.... I thought the whole thing was lying on
its side, which would make it difficult for the chandelier to be hanging...

	5 percent of the people think;
	10 percent of the people think they think;
	and the other 85 percent of the people would rather DIE than think.

					- Thomas A. Edison

hoffman@cheshire.columbia.edu (Edward Hoffman) (07/22/86)

In article <828@usl.UUCP> arh@usl.UUCP (Al the swamp-sailor) writes:

>	I realize this is a little hard to believe (I'm not sure I buy it
>myself....), but the story is that the little camera-robot that's cruising
>around inside the ship has captured pictures of the chandelier HANGING in the
>main ballroom of the ship.
>
>	Has anybody seen this??.... I thought the whole thing was lying on
>its side, which would make it difficult for the chandelier to be hanging...

The pictures (and videotapes) have been shown on news programs and in the
papers.  The front half of the ship is pretty much upright, but I don't know
about the back...

Edward Hoffman

ARPAnet:  hoffman@cheshire.columbia.edu
BITnet:   CC4.EA-HOFFMAN@CU20A
UUCP:     ...![seismo,topaz]!columbia!cheshire!hoffman

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (07/22/86)

In article <1198@rayssdb.UUCP>, mpc@rayssdb.UUCP (Manny P. Costa) says:

>I'm looking for a pointer to any magazine/book/document/etc. that would
>contain a *COMPLETE* list of passengers and crew.  Thus far I've only
>been able to come up with a list of First Class Passengers. Anyone got
>any info?
>
>I'd also be interrested in any info at all having to do with the Titanic.

Well, the best book I read on the disaster was simply called,
"The Titanic" or something like it.  I read it about 9 years
ago.  It gave a complete factual accounting of the sinking
as well as a *complete* passenger list.  I remember cause
my best friend's great-grandfather died in the wreck and he
was listing in the listing of second class passengers.
-------
Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

"I don't practice what I preach because
 I'm not the type of person I'm preaching to."   - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

All my opinions were bought at Opinions-R-Us during their fall clearance.

jimr@argus.UUCP (Jim Ruskowsky) (07/22/86)

In article <828@usl.UUCP>, arh@usl.UUCP (Al the swamp-sailor) writes:
> ....but the story is that the little camera-robot that's cruising
> around inside the ship has captured pictures of the chandelier HANGING in the
> main ballroom of the ship.
> 	Has anybody seen this??.... I thought the whole thing was lying on
> its side, which would make it difficult for the chandelier to be hanging...

Yup, it's true.  I saw a picture of it in this past week's US News and World
Report (I think thats the one I get - I never look at the title:-)
They said they were gonna mark the ship as a memorial (after all, what else
are they gonna do with it?)
--
Jim Ruskowsky

	usmail:	New Jersey Institute of Technology
		Computerized Conferencing and Communications Center
		Newark, NJ 07102
	uucp:	...!{allegra, ihnp4}!bellcore!argus!jimr
		...!{siesmo, allegra!princeton}!caip!andromeda!argus!jimr
	arpa:	argus!jimr@bellcore.arpa
	bitnet:	jimr%njitcccc.bitnet

gcc@ssc-vax.UUCP (Greg Croasdill [KSCA,GdS]) (07/23/86)

> 	I realize this is a little hard to believe (I'm not sure I buy it
> myself....), but the story is that the little camera-robot that's cruising
> around inside the ship has captured pictures of the chandelier HANGING in the
> main ballroom of the ship.
>
> 	Has anybody seen this??.... I thought the whole thing was lying on
> its side, which would make it difficult for the chandelier to be hanging...

Yes, all that you say is true:
1) There is a little robot
2) The TITANIC is on it's side
3) The chandeliers are still hanging there....

You see they aren't on normal fittings.  It would be bad press to make your
top-notch passengers sea sick by making them watch the lights swinging whist
eating.....  So they are (or at least should be), on posts rather than chains.

GregC  Not an AI project yet.... but they're working on it on it on it on it..

brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) (07/30/86)

>myself....), but the story is that the little camera-robot that's cruising
>around inside the ship has captured pictures of the chandelier HANGING in the
>main ballroom of the ship.
>	Has anybody seen this??.... I thought the whole thing was lying on
>its side, which would make it difficult for the chandelier to be hanging...

   Yup, it's there. A crystal chandelier, still hanging, with a piece of
feathery looking coral growing on it. Titanic hit the bottom bow low, but
upright.  The tremendous weight of the ship made her slide very rapidly
through the water on her way down. This stripped off at least one of the
funnels and made a mess of the bridge deck, but the hull apparently remained
intact until she struck bottom, at which time the after 200 feet of her hull
went to pieces and the bow dug deep into the mud. I presume she dug a bit of
a trench in the bottom before coming to rest, but I have heard nothing to that
effect.

--Brian

dwren@rb-dc1.UUCP (Doug Wren) (07/31/86)

Tried to mail this - it bounced.

Complete passenger lists, hundreds of fascinating
anecdotes, and lots of interesting facts can be found
in Walter Lords' "A Night To Remember", available at any
library worthy of the name. It's a classic and a must-read
for anyone interested in TITANIC.

Since this is going on the net - TITANIC is upright on the
ocean floor - or at least the part of her forward of her
number three funnel is. Stern section, can't say - it really
pisses me off the way network news shows edit out all relevant
facts. The TITANIC report was cut short so they could show a
squirrel raiding a candy machine.

As for the explorers' comment that TITANIC did not have a gash
from her encounter with the berg, but rather just a bunch of
burst seams - I'm skeptical. TITANIC had a double
hull starting with the fifth watertight compartment, and it
was the flooding of the fifth and sixth compartments that
doomed the ship. These compartments flooded pretty quickly.

And as for raising the ship - I did some rude calculations,
and an underwater balloon filled with gasoline (and
approximately the volume of the HINDENBURG) will do the
trick. Get one of the oil companies to supply the gas
and the tanker to carry it. Set the TITANIC up as a theme
park in New Jersey, sell bones as souvenirs. THAT would be
something the network news would know how to cover.:-)

lwall@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Larry Wall) (08/05/86)

In article <55@rb-dc1.UUCP> dwren@rb-dc1.UUCP (Doug Wren) writes:
> As for the explorers' comment that TITANIC did not have a gash
> from her encounter with the berg, but rather just a bunch of
> burst seams - I'm skeptical. TITANIC had a double
> hull starting with the fifth watertight compartment, and it
> was the flooding of the fifth and sixth compartments that
> doomed the ship. These compartments flooded pretty quickly.

What really got me was that in practically the same breath they said
that she was buried in mud up to the anchor.  The anchor rides above the
water line.  The gash, if any, would be below the water line, and
presumably below the mud line as well.

There seems to be a bit of an inconsistency here.

Larry Wall
sdcrdcf!lwall