[net.sport.baseball] Padres vs. Braves Fiasco

sdi@loral.UUCP (08/13/84)

Anyone see the Padres and the Braves fighting this weekend?
What a zoo that was.  I'd like to see some opinions on what
should happend to Perez and the rest of the Padres pitching staff.

shaprkg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Bob Shapiro) (08/14/84)

In article <405@loral.UUCP> sdi@loral.UUCP (Steve Irwin) writes:
>Anyone see the Padres and the Braves fighting this weekend?
>What a zoo that was.  I'd like to see some opinions on what
>should happend to Perez and the rest of the Padres pitching staff.

   I'm torn between sending them to bed without their supper or locking them
up in a room for 24 hours with Billy Martin so they can learn some manners.

   Of course they could all be forced to serve a stretch at the local
amusement park as targets in the baseball throw.

   On the serious side this sort of childish behavior is not only bush but
potentially dangerous.  Unfortunately suspensions are sort of meaningless to
either of these teams (unless they carry through beyond the end of the season)
because the Padres are so far in front.  In addition, suspensions have the
bad effect of rewarding not-involved parties. (Witness the effect of how the
Yugoslavian won a gold medal when Hollyfield was disqualified in the boxing
match at the Olymics).  I think that the owners and managers of the 2 teams
should be held responsible for the actions of the players. After all the buck
stops there. If they can't control them then they should suffer the fate of
any supervisor who can't control his employees.  So very large fines on
management together with a probationary period, which if broken, would result
in additional and heavier penalties. Management could use their own internal
procedures to see that the players stay in line.  If the "fear of God" was put
into their hearts by the commissioner's office, I'm sure they would find a
way to pass it on to the players.

dak@ihuxn.UUCP (Dave Krunnfusz) (08/15/84)

<>
It seems to me that the umpires should be empowered to cause forfeiture
of the game by the offending parties.  In this case, I believe that
after Perez was hit the second time, the umpires should have stated
(if they are given the power to do so) that the next team to hit a
batter will forfeit the game.  Follow this up with large fines for the
pitchers, managers, and OWNERS!  The brushback is a valid part of
the game and is appropriate under certain circumstances.  The beanball
is never appropriate and should not be tolerated.

Dave K.

By the way, Perez is one of the dirtier pitchers in the league and
the above statement should not be read as support of Perez's style.
In the case, however, the Padres went overboard.

rkp@drutx.UUCP (Pierce) (08/16/84)

>By the way, Perez is one of the dirtier pitchers in the league and
>the above statement should not be read as support of Perez's style.
>In the case, however, the Padres went overboard.

What do you mean, one of the dirtier pitchers?

Maybe you mean he doesn't take a shower after the game.  Or maybe
he doesn't clean under his fingernails.  Please, I would like to
know what you mean about "dirtier."  He is definitely a hot-dog
(which really tees me off), but I don't think anyone could accuse
him of being a dirty pitcher.

Then again, maybe some of Bob Gibson's traits wore off on Perez.

Russ Pierce
Denver, CO