[net.sport.baseball] Cubs go to court

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (12/21/84)

Well, Peter Ueberroth is really making enemies fast in Chicago,
saying that the Cubs have to put in lights or be forced
to play in another stadium for playoff games (and possibly
regular season games).  The `85 schedule is set already,
so your regular season games aren`t in jeopardy.  But now
we`re in the courts.  The Cubs, with basically no other
option other than to ignore Mr. Ueberroth, filed suit to
overturn Illinois law which, without getting technical,
bans night baseball at Wrigley Field.  The residents of the
area, naturally, are in an uproar.  They don`t want thousands
of people wandering around their homes at 11, 12, 1 o`clock
in the morning!  I can`t say I dont blame them.  You`ve got
a very unique situation with the location of the stadium.
And the Commissioner should recognize this.  Will baseball
really lose THAT much revenue if the Cubs play day post-season
games?  You`ve got the wants of the few vs. the desires of
the many.  There was never a really BIG fuss before, but then
again, the Cubbies hadn`t made the playoffs since `45, and
we haven`t had night post-season games since the early 70s.

Of course, another option is to build a new stadium.  Rumors
have placed that stadium in many places in the Chicago area.
But can the Tribune Co. really afford to construct it.  And
if somebody else does, the Cubs will have to pay rent, no
doubt, to use the stadium.  They probably won`t get a full
share of the concession sales (and I bet a lot of $$ is made
by the Old Style man).  But you`ve also got the upkeep of
a structure which is, I do believe, the oldest ballpark in
the National league (Comiskey and Tiger Stadium are a bit older).
That`s no small drop in the bucket.

Rest assured, the Cubs will not be leaving Chicago.  I could
see the back page of the Tribune saying "Cubs Move to Tampa Bay"
while the front page headline reads "Final Edition - Ever!"
The theory that you can`t win by playing day ball 1/2 the
time has basicaly be debunked.  But the question of lights
at the Friendly Confines will keep the ol` hot stove league
going all the way till spring training, and then some.

Tom O`Connor
ihuxw!tommyo

P.S. Cub season tickets are now on sale!  Get `em while they`re hot!

rossiter@cornell.UUCP (David Rossiter) (12/22/84)

In article <1034@ihuxw.UUCP> tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) writes:
>Well, Peter Ueberroth is really making enemies fast in Chicago,
>saying that the Cubs have to put in lights or be forced
>to play in another stadium for playoff games...

Don't worry, the Cubs won't be in the playoffs until 2024.  By then
Ueberroth will have retired, the Olympics will be a nostalgic memory,
Montreal players won't complain about tax laws, because Quebec will
be the 51st state, and most importantly, a hurricane will have destroyed
Shea Stadium -- which is the ONLY way the Cubbies will manage to finish
ahead of the Mets!

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (12/24/84)

The Commisioner may be making enemies in Chicago, but certainly none of
those enemies are in the Cubs organization.  From what I hear, Dallas Green
and the Tribune Company would like nothing more than to be able to play night
games in Chicago.  Are the only people who don't want the Cubs to play night
games the residents of the surrounding neighborhood?  If so, then moving
to a new Chicago stadium would certainly solve the problem.  As for building
a stadium, I would think that the Tribune Company could afford it, particularly
if they were to build a 35,000 seat baseball-only stadium (like Wrigley) and
sell that valuable Wrigley real estate.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

newman@bgsuvax.UUCP (Tim Newman) (12/28/84)

We need a grass-roots campaign to allow teams to play their games when they
so choose.  The Cubs don't and can't have lights, so Peter Victory Over Red
had better wake up and shut up.  Making a team play on foreign turf after
fighting all year in their home stadium is grossly unfair.  If Peter Ueberroth
thinks he will endear himself to the fans by making this move, he is more
foolish than Bowie Kuhn ever may have been.  Take heed, Pete, the end is near.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/03/85)

Instead of railing against the unfairness of pressuring the Cubs to
play night games, Cub fans ought to ponder the unfairness of the Cubs
sharing the profits of a TV contract which demands night games during
the week yet claiming exemption from its responsibilities.  The Cubs
COULD have raised the issue beforehand, and presumably could have
negotiated with the league and the networks to be get such a waiver,
presumably at the price of part of their cut of the contract being
used to reimburse the networks should the Cubs win.  They did not.

Protestations against being pressured to play night games while
cheerfully accepting the profits made possible by other clubs  playing
night games has more than a hint of hypocrisy.  If Cub management (and
fans) wish to impress me with their sincerity, let them refuse their
share (or some portion thereof) of the profits they get from the
networks for baseball holding weekday playoff/championship games being
played at night.

						David Rubin

rainbow@ihuxe.UUCP (01/04/85)

Newsgroups: net.sport.baseball   Subject: Re: Cubs go to court

>Instead of railing against the unfairness of pressuring the Cubs to
>play night games, Cub fans ought to ponder the unfairness of the Cubs
>sharing the profits of a TV contract which demands night games during
>the week yet claiming exemption from its responsibilities.  The Cubs
>COULD have raised the issue beforehand, and presumably could have
>negotiated with the league and the networks to be get such a waiver,
>presumably at the price of part of their cut of the contract being
>used to reimburse the networks should the Cubs win.  They did not.
>
>Protestations against being pressured to play night games while
>cheerfully accepting the profits made possible by other clubs  playing
>night games has more than a hint of hypocrisy.  If Cub management (and
>fans) wish to impress me with their sincerity, let them refuse their
>share (or some portion thereof) of the profits they get from the
>networks for baseball holding weekday playoff/championship games being
>played at night.
>
>						David Rubin

May the Mets croak off in a plane crash.
I can't believe anyone would dare write such an uninformed article. I
knew New York wasn't exactly in touch with America's heartland, but
I was shocked to realize they are actually in siberia. Listen carefully
now while I explain reality.

You forget that the Cubs are not playing day games by choice.
The Cubs management has been trying to change local and state
ordinances against night baseball for years now. Thats because they felt
the Cubs were doing so poorly all those years by being worn down by all
those day games. Apparently, only because the Cubs are suddenly in the
limelight has siberia become aware of recent attempts to change the laws.
Unfortunately the local inhabitants have so far prevented these cases from
succeeding.

So now, tell me why the cubs shouldn't receive their share of revenue?
Is it because the cubs are a class organization and are in the business of
providing entertainment and the league is Big Business and only cares
about profits?

By the way, the cubs have no power in negotiating their own tv contract
as you infer they should have down before the fact. The league board controls
such contracts. And they were caught with egg on their face for agreeing to
a contract that allowed the networks to pay less for day games. It is the
board's responsibility to be aware of the ramnifications. They are suppose
to represent the best interests of the league. Obviously they must have
been satisfied with the contract(or gambled that the cubs wouldn't make it
to the playoffs). So now whatever revenue is brought in as a result of this
contract should be fairly divided between all teams(which they represented).
Otherwise next you'll be telling me teams with small ballparks should be given
a smaller share because they bring in less revenue compared to a team which
plays in a large ballpark. Or you'll be telling me teams with a small
following(ie Minnesota) should receive a smaller share than teams with a large
following(ie Dodgers) because their tv ratings won't be as high. Right.
That cold up there in siberia must really be slowing your thinking
process(note that the plural form was intentionally left off).

You forget, the contract does not demand night games. It provides different
revenue based on when the playoff games are held. This was agreed to by all.
So why now are the Mets fans renigging on the deal they made? They should
have done so before the fact. They did not. What right do they have to change
the contract after the fact and dish out more or less revenue for various
teams as they see fit?

This apparent Mets attitude is a disgrace to baseball. Baseball should not
be a big business charging for their product to maximize profits.
Rather it should be providing a service. But I have no sympathy for Mets fans
who cannot enjoy the game as it should be and as it is provided to Cubs fans.

Robert

PS. I did not mean to put down all Met followers. Just one in particular who
is not a true baseball fan.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/07/85)

>>Instead of railing against the unfairness of pressuring the Cubs to
>>play night games, Cub fans ought to ponder the unfairness of the Cubs
>>sharing the profits of a TV contract which demands night games during
>>the week yet claiming exemption from its responsibilities.  The Cubs
>>COULD have raised the issue beforehand, and presumably could have
>>negotiated with the league and the networks to be get such a waiver,
>>presumably at the price of part of their cut of the contract being
>>used to reimburse the networks should the Cubs win.  They did not.
>>
>>Protestations against being pressured to play night games while
>>cheerfully accepting the profits made possible by other clubs  playing
>>night games has more than a hint of hypocrisy.  If Cub management (and
>>fans) wish to impress me with their sincerity, let them refuse their
>>share (or some portion thereof) of the profits they get from the
>>networks for baseball holding weekday playoff/championship games being
>>played at night.
>>
>>						David Rubin

>May the Mets croak off in a plane crash.

Happy New Year to you, too!

>I can't believe anyone would dare write such an uninformed article. I
>knew New York wasn't exactly in touch with America's heartland, but
>I was shocked to realize they are actually in siberia. Listen carefully
>now while I explain reality.

Goodness, I'd say we're at the beginning of an ad hominum attack.  In
net.baseball, too!  Is courtesy dead even here?  Besides, I am writing
from New Jersey, and from closer to Veteran's Stadium than to Shea.

>You forget that the Cubs are not playing day games by choice.
>The Cubs management has been trying to change local and state
>ordinances against night baseball for years now. Thats because they felt
>the Cubs were doing so poorly all those years by being worn down by all
>those day games. Apparently, only because the Cubs are suddenly in the
>limelight has siberia become aware of recent attempts to change the laws.
>Unfortunately the local inhabitants have so far prevented these cases from
>succeeding.

They certainly are playing day games by choice.  They are not legally
obligated to play their home games at Wrigley Field, and simply
reminding the appropriate authorities that this is the case would
probably suffice to have such restrictions lifted.  Does Chicago
really want the force the Cubs to move to the suburbs...or worse?  I
have as much sympathy with the neighborhood folks near Clark and
Addison as I do for the folks who buy homes near an airport which
later expands.  Sure, it's a real pain and inconvenience, but they
KNEW there was that risk when they moved there.

>So now, tell me why the cubs shouldn't receive their share of revenue?
>Is it because the cubs are a class organization and are in the business of
>providing entertainment and the league is Big Business and only cares
>about profits?

If weekday night games bring more revenue to the major league clubs,
and if the Cubs refuse to play weekday night games, why should the
Cubs receive a reward for other teams more profitable policies?  The
Cubs are too "classy" to play night ball but are not too "classy" to
accept money for other teams doing so, eh?

>By the way, the cubs have no power in negotiating their own tv contract
>as you infer they should have down before the fact. The league board controls
>such contracts. And they were caught with egg on their face for agreeing to
>a contract that allowed the networks to pay less for day games. It is the
>board's responsibility to be aware of the ramnifications. They are suppose
>to represent the best interests of the league. Obviously they must have
>been satisfied with the contract(or gambled that the cubs wouldn't make it
>to the playoffs). So now whatever revenue is brought in as a result of this
>contract should be fairly divided between all teams(which they represented).
>Otherwise next you'll be telling me teams with small ballparks should be given
>a smaller share because they bring in less revenue compared to a team which
>plays in a large ballpark. Or you'll be telling me teams with a small
>following(ie Minnesota) should receive a smaller share than teams with a large
>following(ie Dodgers) because their tv ratings won't be as high. Right.
>That cold up there in siberia must really be slowing your thinking
>process(note that the plural form was intentionally left off).

I'm all for redistribution of baseball wealth to preserve some balance
(even though the Mets have the third largest cable TV profit---behind
the Braves (of course) and the Cubs), and do not wish to penalize a
team for playing in a small market.  But the Cubs play in a small park
during the day in a large market by choice, and I see no reason why
the Twins should support Chicago's lighting tastes.  Had the Cubs
clearly stated their opposition to any requirement for night games to
the Commissioner's Office while the contract was being negotiated,
they could have compelled Kuhn to negotiate a contract with a waiver
provided for the Cubs, so long as the Cubs were willing to accept a
wee bit less than more accomodating franchises.  The league board does
not negotiate against the interests of the franchises...

>You forget, the contract does not demand night games. It provides different
>revenue based on when the playoff games are held. This was agreed to by all.
>So why now are the Mets fans renigging on the deal they made? They should
>have done so before the fact. They did not. What right do they have to change
>the contract after the fact and dish out more or less revenue for various
>teams as they see fit?

Hey, Bowie didn't let me in on the negotiations.  Anyway, it seems to
me if, say, the Twins are willing to help all teams increase their
revenues, and the Cubs are not, they DESERVE a larger share of the
procedes.  It's hard to get worked up into an egalitarian frenzy when
some bake the bread and some just demand to eat it. Besides, the Mets
and everyone else are not reneging, as they would fulfill their
financial obligation to other teams by playing weekday playoff games
at night.

>This apparent Mets attitude is a disgrace to baseball. Baseball should not
>be a big business charging for their product to maximize profits.
>Rather it should be providing a service. But I have no sympathy for Mets fans
>who cannot enjoy the game as it should be and as it is provided to Cubs fans.

	(1) I speak for myself, not the Mets or other Mets fans (and
	    your insulting response is, fortunately, atypical of Cubs
	    fans).
	(2) Clubs playing night games during the week are maximizing
	    their services.  More people can attend them, more people
	    can watch them.
	(3) I can enjoy the product as presented at Wrigley; in fact
	    when I was an undergraduate at U of Chicago, I often made
	    the trip up to Wrigley.  Of course, had I held a job at
	    the time, it would have been physically impossible to do
	    so during the week.  Even as a student, my schedule often
	    forced me to take in my baseball at Comiskey.
	(4) All owners treat baseball team ownership as a business,
	    even the Chicago Tribune.

Make no mistake: I prefer day games.  When I go to Shea, it's almost
always on a Sunday afternoon.  But to maximimize services, a ball club
ought to schedule its games so that the guy who's employed but not
free to skip out can still come to the park.

>Robert

>PS. I did not mean to put down all Met followers. Just one in particular who
>is not a true baseball fan.

Well!  I've been called all sorts of things in other newsgroups, but
nothing more offensive than "not a true baseball fan" right here, in
what was once the last refuge of good will.  To disagree with Robert's
world view on baseball evidently disqualifies me as a "true" baseball
fan.  Perhaps Robert is more out of touch with the "heartland" than I
am; most of the Cub fans I've known have loved a good baseball argument,
and could carry one on without denigrating their opponent.  A "true"
baseball fan is stimulated, not offended, by intelligent dissent.  Of
course, Robert may think I'm an idiot...

						David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (01/08/85)

Hear, hear, Tim! I'm with you.

Until the sad but inevitable day when the Cubs are moved to
the modern-era plastic stadium in the name of the Holy Network,
I'll rejoice in day games in sunshine on real grass and ball-eating
vines (thanks, Bill Veeck!). A team should not have to be relocated
just to satisfy the Madison Avenue fat cats and Peter Profit. (Yes,
I hear the flames acomin', especially from myopic Mets--go on, make
my day. :-(  )

Football compromised itself irrevocably with the Superbowl warm weather
site philosophy; watch the prostitution continue when *all* playoff or
championship games are moved to "alternative" sites because the weather
or the kickbacks aren't right!.

Well, Tim, the forlorn truth is that someday day ball, real grass, and
playing in your own park will someday be viewed as historical
curiosities along with horse hide baseballs, wooden bats, and fallible
but human umpires.

--Jeff "It's a great day to play two" Shore, alive and well in the
(temporarily) AAA city of Denver

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/08/85)

Let's clear up a misconception.  I am NOT in favor of the Cubs
abandoning Wrigley, as even a Scrooge (:-)...I hope) would be the
first to proclaim it the most gorgeous park in the majors.  However, I
don't undrstand why it is that Cub fans think the Chicago Tribune Co.
is a philanthropic organization.  If Cubs fans really want day games
during the week, that's fine.  But so long as the Cubs profit from
other teams playing at night during the playoffs etc., so long as the
Cubs insist on undercutting the finances of, say, the Giants by
refusing to play playoff games at night while at the same time earning
about $9 million a year from cable (which they do not share), I'd wish
that their customers would stop trying to beatify them.

Undoubtedly, Cubs fans prefer weekday day games (at least the ones who
are unemployed or have sufficient pull to skip on work or don't go to
any games anyway).  However, it is unfair of the Cubs management to
insist upon other teams bearing the financial burden.  The Cubs are one
of baseball's highest revenue producing teams (pretty good for an
organization run as a "service").  It seems unfair to me to have the
financially strapped teams to help subsidize lightless Wrigley Field.

Hear this, Cub fans: Wrigley's unlighted days are numbered.  It won't
be the Mets, though (they have far less financial interest in it than
the poorer clubs), or any combination of NL teams which will cause
the change.  The Chicago Tribune Corporation will do so in order to
enhance its cable TV revenue.  Cubs management will complain of
"arm-twisting" and the like from the Commissioner's Office and others,
but don't be fooled.  Such protestations are for the benefit of the
fans, the City Council, and the State Legislature.  The Tribune bought
the Cubs because of their profit potential, and will not rue the coming
of night games to the North Side.  It is ironic that the same force
(professionalism in management) which finally brought Wrigley a winner
will eventually bring lights there, too.  Well, cable TV is also a big
factor...

I do not mean this to be in anyway hostile to Cubs management or Cubs
fans.  I suspect that almost any management under similar
circumstances would seek to have its cake and eat it, too, so to
speak.  Witness, for example, the combination of Braves, Cubs, and
Mets stubbornly resisting any sharing of cable TV profits.  However,
it is simplistic to accept Chicago management's explanation of events
at face value.  It is not just a question lights or no lights in
Wrigley; it is inextricably entwined with questions of the Tribune's
profits and with financial equity among the major league teams.

I will join Cub fans in mourning if the Tribune's quest for profits
takes the Cubs to the northern suburbs.

					David Rubin