[net.sport.baseball] Getting to 1st without a hit, revisited

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/30/85)

--
The "What are 7 ways to get to 1st without getting a hit?"
question is great fun at parties, though in my experience
it often leads to an argument about whether catcher interference
is really distinct from fielder's obstruction.  Imagine my
amusement when a friend came up with an entirely new way, which
he claims is legal:  Steal 1st from 2nd.  To my immediate query,
"Why would anyone do that?", he said, "To run up his statistics.
Maybe the guy has a bonus riding on the number of stolen bases.
He'll certainly have the element of surprise on his side."
Well, *can* you steal 1st from 2nd?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) (01/30/85)

In article <> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>--
>The "What are 7 ways to get to 1st without getting a hit?"
>Well, *can* you steal 1st from 2nd?

No.  This was allowed in the early days of baseball, but now there is a rule
that outlaws "runing the bases in a manner to decieve the opponent";  among
other things, it prohibits running the bases backwords.  (The quote is not
exact; I am working from memory.)

--
Courtenay Footman			arpa:	cpf@lnsvax
Newman Lab. of Nuclear Studies		usenet:	cornell!lnsvax!cpf

rs@hou3c.UUCP (Bob Switzer) (01/30/85)

<>

You absolutely CANNOT steal 1st base from 2nd base.  And
You cannot steal 2nd base from 3rd base.  I don't recall
the specific rule, but basically once you've made
a particular base ( in the normal act of base running, as
opposed to being required to go back by an umpires ruling
on a previous play ), and play stops, you can't go back to the previous base.
During a play, you can return to the base you were on at the
start of play by "re-touching" all bases crossed (e.g. if you
had to tag up on a fly ball and you had already crossed the
following base).

I hope the above makes sense to you, and I hope someone
can post the relevant rules.
Enjoy...
--
R. Switzer @ AT&T Bell Labs
Rm. 3L-434 / Crawford Corner Rd.

tommyo@ihuxw.UUCP (Tom O`Connor) (01/31/85)

No, you can not go backwards on the basepaths.
It may have been tried in the early days to confuse
a team, but the rule book took care of that one.
Anyway, wouldn`t that be a negative SB?

Tom O`Connor

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (01/31/85)

> Imagine my
> amusement when a friend came up with an entirely new way, which
> he claims is legal:  Steal 1st from 2nd.  To my immediate query,
> "Why would anyone do that?", he said, "To run up his statistics.

I'd never thought of that one before!  I can imagine a situation
where this could happen for a "legitimate" reason.

Runner on second, leading off.  Pitcher attempts to pick runner off, but
runner beats throw; however, in reaching second, the runner loses his
balance and falls towards first, losing contact with the bag.  This
results in a rundown between first and second in which the runner manages
to make it safely to first.  A little far-fetched, but I've seen stranger
things in baseball.

Is this legit according to baseball rules?  If not, what are the runners
options once he is in "no man's land" between second and first? the
fielding teams options?  If the runner cannot legally return to first,
it would seem that the play at second (once the runner has fallen) would
be a force play.

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

glass@houxf.UUCP (K.GLASS) (02/01/85)

I heard that the change was made because Ty Cobb used to
do it so often (claiming he was getting bored at 2nd!).

Ken Glass
...ihnp4!houxf1glass

matthew@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/02/85)

In article <263@ihu1m.UUCP> (Gadfly) writes:
>--
>Well, *can* you steal 1st from 2nd?
>--

In the earlier days of baseball, there was no explicit rule against stealing
first from second.  However, nobody ever thought of trying it.  One day, some
fairly incredible baserunner (name escapes me) got to first (on a single),
with a man on third.  He tried to draw a throw from the pitcher by stealing
second.  When the pitcher didn't try to throw him out, he tried to draw a
throw again by stealing first from second.  Within a week or two, the rule was
changed, and now runners may only steal in "forward" progression.
  This is all verifiable in a baseball trivia book I have at home.
Unfortunately, my memory for book titles is about the same as my memory for
old baseball players.

Matthew Merzbacher
matthew@ucla-locus

presley@mhuxb.UUCP (Joe Presley) (02/02/85)

> that outlaws "runing the bases in a manner to decieve the opponent";  among

You mean like inscribing explosive runes or glyphs of confusion on the
bases??? :-)
--

joe presley (ihnp4!j.presley)

boone@mmm.UUCP (David E. Boone) (02/03/85)

> --
> The "What are 7 ways to get to 1st without getting a hit?"

> Well, *can* you steal 1st from 2nd?

no you can not. although i can not quote exactly the rule,
the runner would be declared our for making a farce of the
game. (this rule was added a long time ago after some
runner did steal first back, dizzy dean gas house gang era
i believe)

p.s. in 20 years of umpiring i have yet to enforce this rule.

ugclemon@sunybcs.UUCP (Robert Clemons) (02/04/85)

> The "What are 7 ways to get to 1st without getting a hit?"
> question is great fun at parties, though in my experience
> it often leads to an argument about whether catcher interference
> is really distinct from fielder's obstruction.  Imagine my
> amusement when a friend came up with an entirely new way, which
> he claims is legal:  Steal 1st from 2nd.  To my immediate query,
> "Why would anyone do that?", he said, "To run up his statistics.
> Maybe the guy has a bonus riding on the number of stolen bases.
> He'll certainly have the element of surprise on his side."
> Well, *can* you steal 1st from 2nd?

      I recall reading about an incident that occurred many years ago
where a player (I don't remember who) continually ran back and forth
between 1st and 2nd to draw the throw of the catcher and allow the
run to score from 3rd.  The book (I don't remember the title) claimed
that this incident prompted the adoption of a rule that disallows
running the bases in reverse order.  An unofficial rule book I own
states that a runner is out if he runs the bases in reverse order or
"otherwise attempts to confuse the game".

                                   -- Robert Clemons
                                      SUNY @ Buffalo

omh@brunix.UUCP (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/15/85)

The incident is written up in the book "The Glory of Their Times" by
Lawrence Ritter.  The 1st base stealer's name was Germany Schaefer.
The book consists of several extensive (and great) interviews with
old time ballplayers.  This incident was narrated by Davy Jones:

[Schaefer had just stolen second trying to draw a throw so
a man on third would score]

...So now we had men on second and third.  Well, on the next pitch
Schaefer yelled, "Let's try it again!"  And with a blood-curdling shout
he took off like a wild Indian back to first base, and dove in headfirst in
a cloud of dust...

He figured the catcher might throw to first-since he evidently wouldn't
throw to second. [the catcher held the ball on the first steal].

But nothing happened.  Nothing at all. Everybody just stood there and
watched Schaefer, with their mouths open. Me, too.  Even if the catcher had
throw to first, I was too stunned to move, I'll tell you that.  But
the catcher didn't throw.  He just stared!  In fact, George Stovall, the
Cleveland first baseman, was playing way back and didn't even come in to
cover the bag...

The umpires were just as confused as everybody else.  However, it turned out
that at that time there wasn't any rule against a guy going from second
back to first, if that's the way he wanted to play baseball, so they had
to let it stand...

[Schaefer tried to steal second again.]

And on the next pitch darned if he didn't let out another war whoop and
take off agin for second base.  By this time the Cleveland catcher
evidently had enough, because he finally threw to second to get
Schaefer, and when he did I took off for home and both of us were safe.

[I highly recommend the book]