[net.sport.baseball] 1985 Predictions and Banterings

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (04/16/85)

Lamarr Hoyt have ANOTHER big year? I'm still waiting for his FIRST
one.  Cy Young awards are usually given out on the basis of won-loss
records --- about the worst way you could do it.  Fact is, the year
Hoyt won it, his ERA hovered near the 4.00 mark; he won 24 games
because the White Sox were kind enough to average 6 runs a game during
his starts.  With that kind of support, someone pitched very well and
remained injury-free would have won 30...

> 1) Should the DH be banned or used by both leagues?

It should be banned.  For the following umpteen reasons:

	(1) Baseball is a great game, and unlike football and
	    basketball, remains well-balanced; if it ain't broke,
	    don't fix it.
	(2) The designated hitter is the beginning of a platoon
	    system; if you wish to exempt weak hitting pitchers from
	    plate appearences, why not weak hitting shortstops?  Rick
	    Rhoden is infinitely more dangerous than Jose Oquendo
	    anyway.
	(3) The argument that pitchers "are paid to pitch, not to hit"
	    is fallacious; one could just as well argue that
	    shortstops are paid to field, not to hit, and 95% of all
	    left and right fielders are paid to hit, not to field.
	    Come to think of it, pitchers aren't paid to field either;
	    why don't we stick someone out there to handle the glove?
	    Pitchers (and other fielders, and batsman) are payed to
	    play baseball.  Baseball includes fielding and hitting.
	    Death to free substitution!
	(4) The argument that fans are "entitled to see the best
	    hitters and best pitchers and best fielders" rather than
	    see a bad hitter, e.g., is dangerously distorted; why not
	    then let Mike Schmidt bat for the Phillies whenever there
	    are runners on?  That would certainly be giving fans the
	    "best"...and like anything given freely, it becomes
	    cheapened.
	(5) More offense is not an end unto itself.
	(6) The DH doesn't produce more offense, anyway: AL games
	    average one extra hit a game than NL games.  As offense is
	    the dubious raison d'etre of the DH, I don't understand
	    why even someone who did believe that offense = excitement
	    would be attached to it.
	(7) Part of the attraction of baseball is armchair managing
	    (in fact, this is more important to me than "lots o' runs").
	    The DH reduces the number of decisions to be made, and
	    therefore reduces this pleasure.
	(8) There is inconclusive evidence that the DH has shortened
	    the expected careers of AL pitchers (they hurl too many
	    innings and are deprived of pitching against their mound
	    opponents); however, we won't know this for sure for
	    another decade or so.
	(9) Proponents of change ought to bear the burden of
	    discussion; DH proponents never proved their case, and
	    were never made to bear that burden.
	(10) It's plain ugly.
	(11) If it ain't broke, why the hell were we fixing it?

	etc., etc., rant, rave, etc.
> 3) Are domed stadiums and artificial turf beneficial or detrimental to M.L.B.?

		(1) The decline of the minor leagues put the teams on a more equal
	    footing in developing talent.  So did the pooling of
	    amateur draft data. This trend appears to be reversing.
	(2) The rise of baseball TV revenue from national contracts
	    reduced the ratio of earnings between rich and poor teams.
	    This, too, may reverse, as the Cubs (and only the Cubs) are
	    still holding out against sharing cable revenue.
> [...]

 	    would be attached to it.
 	(7) Part of the attraction of baseball is armchair managing
 	    (in fact, this is more important to me than "lots o' runs").
 	    The DH reduces the number of decisions to be made, and
 	    therefore reduces this pleasure.
 	(8) There is inconclusive evidence that the DH has shortened
 	    the expected careers of AL pitchers (they hurl too many
 	    innings and are deprived of pitching against their mound
 	    opponents); however, we won't know this for sure for
 	    another decade or so.
 	(9) Proponents of change ought to bear the burden of
 	    discussion; DH proponents never proved their case, and
 	    were never made to bear that burden.
 	(10) It's plain ugly.
 	(11) If it ain't broke, why the hell were we fixing it?

 	etc., etc., rant, rave, etc.

> 2) Is Free Agency responsible for the parity in MLB the past 6-7 years?

Other factors:

	(1) The decline of the minor leagues put the teams on a more equal
 	    footing in developing talent.  So did the pooling of
 	    amateur draft data. This trend appears to be reversing.
 	(2) The rise of baseball TV revenue from national contracts
 	    reduced the ratio of earnings between rich and poor teams.
 	    This, too, may reverse, as the Cubs (and only the Cubs) are
 	    still holding out against sharing cable revenue.

>3) Are domed stadiums and artificial turf beneficial or detrimental to M.L.B.?
	For the most part, detrimental.  There are certainly
	undesirable; however, Seattle's rain and Houston's summer heat
	are good arguments for some domes.  Artificial turf, too, is
	undesirable; the only rationale for it is as a cost savings
	measure when a team shares a stadium with some barbaric
	alternate sport.

 > 4) Who is/was the better hitter - Cobb or Rose? (not many eyewitness compari-
 >    sons here :-) )

	The standard answer is Cobb, so I'll just list some reasons
	why we'll never know:

		(1) Cobb never had to fly to California; baseball in
		    his day was confined to the area bounded by the
		    Mississippi, the Ohio, and the Potomac (ok, if you
		    want to be really picky, you can note that St.
		    Louis is just over the Mississippi).

		(2) Cobb never had to face Bruce Sutter; relieving was
		    far less developed then, and more often than not, a
		    tiring reliever was left in the game until he became
		    totally ineffective.

		(3) Contrary to public prejudice, talent was more
		    dilute in Cobb's day (this is heresy, but I have
		    a strong case).  There were no blacks or Latins in
		    MLB, so 16*25=400 white players made it to the
		    major leagues.  Today, at least 40% of MLB
		    players are either black or Latin, so I'd guess
		    there are about .6*26*25=390 white players.  This
		    despite the fact that baseball is far more
		    lucrative (players are among the richest in
		    society, rather than the poorest) and the
		    increase in the white population.  Either the
		    average player is more talented than his Cobb-era
		    predecessor or there has been an erosion in
		    baseball playing talent in Americans of European
		    extraction (far-fetched) or baseball has become a
		    less attractive profession (false).

 > 5) Where should the next expansion teams be located? Is this a good time for
 >    baseball to expand?

		The teams should be located where popular support (as
		opposed to a business community's bid for prestige) is
		strongest: assuming expansion was to include six new
		teams, my guesses would be:

				St. Petersburg/Tampa
				New Jersey
				Denver
				Phoenix
				Vancouver
				New Orleans

		The first four are, in my opinion, sure-fire sites.
		The other two might be challenged by Louisville or
		Memphis, e.g. Patently silly is Washington (Won't
		they ever learn? How many chances does that town get,
		anyway?).

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (05/01/85)

In article <583@fisher.UUCP> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:

>		The teams should be located where popular support (as
>		opposed to a business community's bid for prestige) is
>		strongest: assuming expansion was to include six new
>		teams, my guesses would be:
>
>				St. Petersburg/Tampa
>				New Jersey
>				Denver
>				Phoenix
>				Vancouver
>				New Orleans
>
>		The first four are, in my opinion, sure-fire sites.
>		The other two might be challenged by Louisville or
>		Memphis, e.g. Patently silly is Washington (Won't
>		they ever learn? How many chances does that town get,
>		anyway?).

I have to say that your opinion about Washington is bogus and ill-informed;
Washington has been cursed with 2 owners who saw the opportunity to make
some quick bucks elsewhere; in fact, the last one, Bob Short (may he be
burning in Hell forever) seems to have bought the club with this sole
interest. He was also responsible for moving the Lakers from Minneapolis
to Los Angeles and then selling out. Unfortunately, I feel your opinion
is all too prevalent; I think that many people in other cities have been
spoiled by beneficent owners who feel a sense of commitment to the community.

There is great interest in Washington for another team, and I think that D.C.
not only belongs, but is actually in the top 4 for consideration. I will be
happy to debate this matter further if others disagree with me, but I just
wanted to give a quick reply while the steam was still coming out of my
ears ;-)

Lastly, how do you think Baltimore has been setting its (team) attendance
records, as they have been over the 2 million mark the last several years?
The answer is with a substantial flow of fans, myself included, making the
trek up I-95 to see the O's.
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete