[net.sport.baseball] Billy... actually about Orioles

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (05/08/85)

/*  */

answer is: possibly.  The loss of Flanagan will eventually hurt, and as I said
in an earlier posting, to expect both Lynn and Lacy to have big years at their
"advanced career state" ( read age ) may be asking too much.  I also think
their bullpen is a little weak.  I am a dyed-in-the-wool O's HATER - they have
been the Tiger's nemesis for too many years now (-: .  Seriously, I do expect
them to be in the race, at least until late August-early September, if not
longer.

No cerebral signoff,

                                   Mark Tompkins
                                   MBT Co.
                                   epsilon!mb2c!mlt

thornick@brl-tgr.ARPA (Tom Hornick ) (05/09/85)

In article <139@mb2c.UUCP> mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) writes:
>/*  */

>answer is: possibly.  The loss of Flanagan will eventually hurt, and as I said

    Mark, sorry to disagree with you but my reply to Jeff's question
is most definitely!  The O's Have just to much talent (Murray, Ripken,
Lynn, Lacy, Davis, Boddicker, etc...) not to make a run for the pennant.
    Lynn is only 34 years old and Lacy 36, but if you would see them
you would not think they were over 32.  The O's pitching staff is by
far the best in the major leagues (Ken Dixon is the 5th starter, is 3-0
and leads the league in ERA).  The bullpen has three above average
relievers in Aase, Martinez, and Stewart.  I believe these three will
more then make-up for one Hernandez or Caudill.  I am not a Tiger's
hater, but I think they had a lucky year in 1984.  My worries are not
the Tiger's this year but the Blue Jays.  Should be great!!!!!!

P.S.  The O's have played .690 ball during the month of September
      the last 6 years.

. . .   And they ask me why I Drink!! . . . .  Tom Hornick

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (05/13/85)

/*  */

>Lynn is only 34 years old and Lacy 36,
OK-I'll take back what I said about Lynn's age after seeing the start he's
off to.  I still think hitting in the same lineup with Murray and Ripken has
helped immensely(wouldn't it help anyone?).

>The O's pitching staff is by far the best in the major leagues...
Here I must definitely disagree-I feel Detroit's starters ( Morris, Petry,
Terrell, Wilcox ) compare with ANY starting staff in the bigs.  Juan Buerenger
is a sometime dependable 5th arm.  As far as the bullpens compare-I'll take
Hernandez, Lopez, and Doug Bair over your three anytime.

>I think they had a lucky year in 1984...
You cannot imagine hoe sick and tired I am of hearing this statement.  They
won those games, didn't they?  I will agree their start was amazing, but they
still had to perform just like anyone else would.

The O's are definitely tough in September-if they're close by September 1, it
will be interesting.  I am also worried about Toronto.  But I still must say-
Go Tigers!!

Mark Tompkins