[net.sport.baseball] Billy, your fired/hired...

sdd@pyuxh.UUCP (S Daniels) (04/30/85)

I can't say I'm surprised at Steinbrenner hiring Billy Martin for
the fourth time, but I don't like it at all.  George Steinbrenner
is the worst thing to happen to baseball since the Black Sox scandal.
If Martin were that good a manager, George wouldn't have fired him
three times before.
--
	   Steve Daniels (Bellcore, Piscataway,	NJ, !pyuxh!sdd)
	     "I'm counting the smiles on the road to Utopia."

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (05/06/85)

> I can't say I'm surprised at Steinbrenner hiring Billy Martin for
> the fourth time, but I don't like it at all.  George Steinbrenner
> is the worst thing to happen to baseball since the Black Sox scandal.
> If Martin were that good a manager, George wouldn't have fired him
> three times before.
> --
> 	   Steve Daniels (Bellcore, Piscataway,	NJ, !pyuxh!sdd)
> 	     "I'm counting the smiles on the road to Utopia."

In San Diego there is a radio station that has a contest now.
The idea is to be the closest<sp> guesser as to when George
fires Billy again. The winner gets a trip to New York.

jlh@hou2e.UUCP (J.HEATWOLE) (05/08/85)

> In San Diego there is a radio station that has a contest now.
> The idea is to be the closest<sp> guesser as to when George
> fires Billy again. The winner gets a trip to New York.

Does second place get two trips to New York?  parenthesis hyphen colon

While I'm here, how about the way that AL East is shaping up?
Baltimore, Toronto, and Detroit grouped at the top as predicted, followed
by the Yankees and Bosox as predicted, with Cleveleand and Milwaukee bringing
up the rear as predicted.  Of course, it's still too early for this to mean
anything.  I'm a born and bred O's fan.  I'm hoping that when Lee Lacy
gets back and beefs up the offense, they'll be able to stay up top with
the Jays and Tigers.  Ken Dixon has really picked up the slack left by
Flanagan's achilles injury (Flanagan won't be back until August is the latest
report).  I see a great pennant race shaping up there.  What do you Tiger
and Blue Jay fans think:  Do the Orioles have a chance or am I mired in
wishful thinking?  Yes, I realize I'm setting myself up.

			Jeff Heatwole
			..!hou2e!jlh

samuels@h-sc1.UUCP (ronald samuels) (05/08/85)

> > I can't say I'm surprised at Steinbrenner hiring Billy Martin for
> > the fourth time, but I don't like it at all.  George Steinbrenner
> > is the worst thing to happen to baseball since the Black Sox scandal.
> > If Martin were that good a manager, George wouldn't have fired him
> > three times before.
> > --
> > 	   Steve Daniels (Bellcore, Piscataway,	NJ, !pyuxh!sdd)
> > 	     "I'm counting the smiles on the road to Utopia."
>
> In San Diego there is a radio station that has a contest now.
> The idea is to be the closest<sp> guesser as to when George
> fires Billy again. The winner gets a trip to New York.

I hope that along with the trip, the winner gets free tickets to a baseball
game, a MET game.
--

Ron Samuels
Harvard University Science Center

...harvard!h-sc1!samuels (or better yet)  ...harvard!h-sc4!samuels_b

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (05/09/85)

Here in Monmouth County N. J. there is a radio station
running the same contest with a prize of 107 bucks.  How
many other "Billy gets Fired" contests are there out in
netland?
T. C. Wheeler

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (05/09/85)

In article <571@hou2e.UUCP> jlh@hou2e.UUCP (J.HEATWOLE) writes:

>  I'm a born and bred O's fan.

Obviously a man of high class and intelligence.

>  What do you Tiger and Blue Jay fans think:  Do the Orioles have a chance
> or am I mired in wishful thinking?  Yes, I realize I'm setting myself up.

Well, I'm not an (ughh!!) Tiger or Blue Jay fan, but how about some thoughts
from another O's fan? I think we have an excellent chance. The biggest
doubt will be pitching. It will be a bonus if Flanagan contributes anything
significant this year, McGregor has been suffering from migraines and is
pitching poorly, and Storm Davis seems to have lost his confidence lately
as he has been regularly shelled this season. I agree that Dixon is a
pleasant welcome to the staff, but remember that he is trying to make the
transition from AA ball to the majors, and it is too early to tell if his
fast start (3-0, one of top 2 or 3 ERAs) is just a fluke or due to the
batters not being familiar with him. Let's hope for the former. The batting
looks strong this year after going soft last year, and hopefully Lee Lacy
will meet the expectations that came with his signing; if he does, watch
out!
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (05/14/85)

Did you hear that Steinbrenner fired the jockey of "Eternal Prince",
his horse?  (Yes, I, too, thought it was a joke when I first heard it,
but it's true!)  At least George has something of a sense of the irony
of it all, as he was quoted as saying "After all, I couldn't fire the
horse..."

					David Rubin