[net.sport.baseball] Six hit scoreless inning?

maryk@azure.UUCP (Mary Karlins) (05/20/85)

Some time ago I read an article about "The Sporting News" that said that
it was written for the type of baseball fan that "knows how a pitcher
can get four strikeouts in an inning and how a team can get six hits
in an inning but not score any runs."  I know how a pitcher can get
four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?

Mary Karlins
tektronix!azure!bronze!maryk

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (05/20/85)

<  Some time ago I read an article about "The Sporting News" that said that
<  it was written for the type of baseball fan that "knows how a pitcher
<  can get four strikeouts in an inning and how a team can get six hits
<  in an inning but not score any runs."  I know how a pitcher can get
<  four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
<  hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?

How about this:

Batter 'A' singles
'B' singles, 'A' goes to second
'C' singles, 'A' thrown out trying to score, 'B' to second.
'D' singles, 'B' thrown out trying to score, 'C' to second.
'E' singles, 'C' stops at third (he's scared), 'D' to second.
'F' singles, tries to stretch into a double.  Is thrown out
before 'C' scores.

I'm sure there are other ways like passing a runner before
guy from third scores or a line shot that hits the guy on third
in fair territory (HE's out, but batter gets a hit).

							Mark Nevar

ogre@mhuxl.UUCP (LO COCO) (05/21/85)

> Some time ago I read an article about "The Sporting News" that said that
> it was written for the type of baseball fan that "knows how a pitcher
> can get four strikeouts in an inning and how a team can get six hits
> in an inning but not score any runs."  I know how a pitcher can get
> four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
> hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?
>

> Mary Karlins
> tektronix!azure!bronze!maryk

The first two batters get on base with hits and both get thrown out trying
to stretch their hits another base. The following three batters get hits
(possibly all singles) to load the bases. The final batter in the inning
hits a sharp ground ball that strikes a runner while in the basepath. The
runner is declared out and the batter is awarded a hit.
--

				John B. Lo Coco
				(...mhuxl!ogre)

samuels@h-sc1.UUCP (ronald samuels) (05/21/85)

>  I know how a pitcher can get
> four strikeouts

I can't figure out the four strikeouts!!, return the favor please

> but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
> hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?
>

> Mary Karlins
> tektronix!azure!bronze!maryk

The first five are easy (2 hits including two guys picked off, or
going for an extra base or something) next three hits load the
bases, and on the last hit BEFORE THE RUN SCORES something stupid occurs
like baserunners crossing paths nailing someone trying to go for extra
bases or something like that.  Thats my guess.
--

Ron Samuels
Harvard University Science Center

...harvard!h-sc1!samuels (or better yet)  ...harvard!h-sc4!samuels_b

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (05/22/85)

In <199@azure.UUCP> Mary Karlins writes:

> Some time ago I read an article about "The Sporting News" that said that
> it was written for the type of baseball fan that "knows how a pitcher
> can get four strikeouts in an inning and how a team can get six hits
> in an inning but not score any runs."  I know how a pitcher can get
> four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
> hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?

How about these other baseball puzzles?  How can a pitcher pitch a complete
9 inning game, and throw just 9 legal pitches?  Or how many ways can a
player reach first base?  I know of 7, but I believe there are more than I can
think of.

As for a 6 hit scoreless inning, I can only think of one way (with several
variations):  single, single (1st and 2nd), single--runner thrown out at
plate (1st and 2nd, 3 hits), again (1st and 2nd, 4 hits), single (5th hit,
loads bases), and finally, oh, a home run, but the runner from second passes
the runner from 3rd before either can score.  no runs, 6 hits, no errors,
and 2 left.

--Evan Marcus
--

{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
                         ...!petfe!evan

"We're all different."
"I'm not."

ee171adl@sdcc3.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) (05/22/85)

> I know how a pitcher can get
> four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
> hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?
>

> Mary Karlins
> tektronix!azure!bronze!maryk

Three singles to load the bases followed by three consecutive
singles where the runner from third is thrown out at the plate.
There are many other combinations, all of which involve the third
out being made after the sixth hit but before the end of the play
and before the run scores.

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (05/23/85)

<  How about these other baseball puzzles?  How can a pitcher pitch a complete
<  9 inning game, and throw just 9 legal pitches?  Or how many ways can a
< player reach first base?  I know of 7, but I believe there are more than I can
<  think of.

Well, for a nine pitch complete game, how about this:

The pitcher goes to his mouth and the umpire calls a ball.
The pitcher does this three more times, batter walks.
Runner gets picked off first base.
Next batter gets on base same way.
Third batter hits into double play.

Repeat nine more times..

A little out of the ordinary, but it could happen.

Ways to reach first base:

1)  Walk
2)  Base hit
3)  Error
4)  Hit by pitch
5)  Wild pitch on third strike
6)  Catchers interference
7)  Force out.

							Mark Nevar

ryan@cloud9.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MK01-2/H32) (05/23/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 21-MAY-1985 09:02---------------------

>Posted by: decwrl!decvax!linus!philabs!cmcl2!seismo!harvard!h-sc1!samuels

>>  I know how a pitcher can get
>> four strikeouts

>I can't figure out the four strikeouts!!, return the favor please

Simple.  He strikes out three batters.  The catcher drops the third strike on
the last hitter, who reaches first safely.  The pitcher then strikes out the
next hitter for his 4th K of the inning. Theoretically, a pitcher could have
an infinite number of strikeouts in a single inning.

Maybe I should clarify for those not aware of the rule - if the third strike is
dropped, the batter is allowed to go for first and must be tagged or thrown out.
You will quite often see a catcher drop a third strike and then pick up the ball
and tag the batter.  You rarely see a throw to first (probably because you
rarely see the batter bother to run).

It seems to me I read that a pitcher once got five strikeouts in an inning.
Can anyone verify this?

Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  Suppose a hitter (say one without a great deal
of confidence) is behind the count 0-2 in the bottom of the ninth with his
team behind by one run, so it's imperative that he reach base.  The pitcher
loses control of the ball and it sails far beyond reach of either the batter
or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
intentionally!

Mike Ryan
ryan%fremen.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-fremen!ryan

Posted:	Thu 23-May-1985 10:21
To:	rhea::decwrl::"NET.SPORT.BASEBALL"

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (05/23/85)

>How about these other baseball puzzles?  How can a pitcher pitch a complete
>9 inning game, and throw just 9 legal pitches?  Or how many ways can a
>player reach first base?  I know of 7, but I believe there are more than I can
>think of.
>
>--Evan Marcus
>{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsga!evan
>                         ...!petfe!evan

Complete 9 inning game w/ 9 legal pitches:  In each inning, the first batter
up hits a triple.  Then, three times, the man on third tries to steal home.
Each time he does, the batter interferes, and is declared out.

Reaching first:
1) a hit
2) fielder's choice
3) dropped 3rd strike
4) error
5) hit by pitch
6) base on balls

7) (this USED to be legal, anyway) steal from second

a variation is how many ways can a man on third reach home?
I can think of these:

 1) a hit
 2) walk w/ bases loaded
 3) sacrifice fly
 4) fielder's choice
 5) past ball
 6) wild pitch
 7) batter hit by pitch w/ bases loaded
 8) sacrifice foul
 9) fielding error
10) steal
11) sacrifice bunt
12) balk

Gilles Dignard				Space People think factories are
University of Waterloo				musical instruments.
Waterloo, Ontario			They sing along with them.
					Each song lasts from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
					No music on weekends.
						David Byrne

priebe@noscvax.UUCP (Carey E. Priebe) (05/24/85)

In article <2870@sdcc3.UUCP> ee171adl@sdcc3.UUCP (BRUCE BINDER) writes:
>> I know how a pitcher can get
>> four strikeouts, but I can't figure out how a team can have a six
>> hit scoreless inning.  Can anyone explain this to me?
>>

>> Mary Karlins
>> tektronix!azure!bronze!maryk
How about this-- you can get four triples, a double and a single (six hits)
without scoring!!  I heard this a long time ago, so here goes...
First batter triples and is thrown out at home.  Ditto on the second batter.
Third batter triples and stays put.  Fourth batter doubles and (for some unknownreason, maybe because the runner on third falls down) the runner stays at third.Fifth batter singles and, again, both runners stay put (silly, I know, but
conceivable).  Finally, for the fourth triple and sixth hit, the sixth batter
homers but the baserunners congregate BEFORE crossing home to congradulate
the batter, who passes them and touches the plate.  This is then the third
out AND scored as a triple.  I realize this is pretty far-fetched, but it IS
possible, so give me a break...

      				carey priebe, tiger fan from way back

--

Carey Priebe
mail: priebe@cod.UUCP

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (05/24/85)

Well, I think I know the answer to the nine pitches in nine innings.
Leadoff batter hits a triple on the first pitch. The next batter comes up,
and the runner on third tries to steal home. The pitcher throws to the catcher
(not a pitch), but the batter interferes with the catcher. The
result is the batter is out and the runner retreats to third. This happens
with the next 2 batters for a result of 1 pitch, 3 outs, and 1 man left. Repeat
for 8 more innings. I've seen this happen lots of times....
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (05/24/85)

> Ways to reach first base:
>
> 1)  Walk
> 2)  Base hit
> 3)  Error
> 4)  Hit by pitch
> 5)  Wild pitch on third strike
> 6)  Catchers interference
> 7)  Force out.
>

> 							Mark Nevar

Add at least one more:
 8) Fielder's choice - Example  is runner on third with less
    than 2 outs.  Batter hits grounder, runner thrown out trying
    to score, batter reaches first safely.  Time at bat is charged.
--

     Bernie Dougan
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

eagle@ihlpg.UUCP (John Blumenstein) (05/24/85)

*** HIT THIS LINE OVER THE FENCE ***
*** IT MIGHT IT COULD BE ITS A HOME RUN - HOLY COW! burp! ***

> How about these other baseball puzzles?  How can a pitcher pitch a complete
> 9 inning game, and throw just 9 legal pitches?

You beat me to this one - I was going to post it.  Oh well I will solve it.

1st inning:
Batter lines the first pitch into right field corner for a triple. (1 pitch)

Next batter up - runner at third tries to steal home - pitcher throws ball to
catcher to make the play at home.  Batter interfers and is out and runner
back to third. (1 out - no pitch)

Next batter up - runner at third tries to steal home - pitcher throws ball to
catcher to make the play at home.  Batter interfers and is out and runner
back to third. (2 out - no pitch)

Next batter up - Same thing (3 out - no pitch)

2nd inning:
Batter lines the first pitch into right field corner for a triple. (1 pitch)

Next batter up - runner at third tries to steal home ..........

Get the idea.  This is possible but highly improbable.

Other question has been answered on net a few months ago.

--
Sulu: "They say she has transwarp drive."
Scotty: "Aye, and if my mother had wheels she would be a wagon."

				John T. Blumenstein
				ihlpg!eagle

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (05/25/85)

In article <976@peora.UUCP> bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) writes:
>> Ways to reach first base:
>> 7)  Force out.
>>

>> 							Mark Nevar
>
>Add at least one more:
> 8) Fielder's choice - Example  is runner on third with less
>    than 2 outs.  Batter hits grounder, runner thrown out trying
>    to score, batter reaches first safely.  Time at bat is charged.

	Isn't a force out considered a fielder's choice?
--
Craig Miller
..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (05/28/85)

> > 1)  Walk
> > 2)  Base hit
> > 3)  Error
> > 4)  Hit by pitch
> > 5)  Wild pitch on third strike
> > 6)  Catchers interference
> > 7)  Force out.
>
> Add at least one more:
>  8) Fielder's choice - Example  is runner on third with less
>     than 2 outs.  Batter hits grounder, runner thrown out trying
>     to score, batter reaches first safely.  Time at bat is charged.

There are still only seven, though the seventh is fielder's choice,
not force out.  A force out is a kind of fielder's choice.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

abe@ISM780.UUCP (05/28/85)

>Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  Suppose a hitter (say one without a great deal
>of confidence) is behind the count 0-2 in the bottom of the ninth with his
>team behind by one run, so it's imperative that he reach base.  The pitcher
>loses control of the ball and it sails far beyond reach of either the batter
>or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
>for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
>intentionally!

	I've often wondered why I've NEVER seen this in a game.  True,
	it's a bit difficult for a batter to KNOW that a ball will get
	by the catcher (and thus he will risk striking out stupidly),
	but occassionally it should be pretty obvious.  And yet I've
	never seen it.

	In the same vein, I've never seen the following play, although
	it could happen once or twice in every game as far as I can tell:
	A man on first, less than two outs.  Batter hits an infield popup.
	The man on first must stay on first, the batter must run to first
	so that the fielder won't intentionally drop the ball and get a
	double play (infield fly rule is only called when there are >1
	men on base).  However, why wouldn't the fielder intentionally
	drop the ball and make the force at second any time the runner
	on first is a faster/better runner than the batter?  I've never
	seen this done, but it seems perfectly safe and reasonable to me.
	The probability of the ball getting away and the play at 2nd
	being lost is very remote indeed, while wiping out a speedster
	at 1st can be quite important.

					-- Abe Ellenberg
					   cca!ima!abe

wimp@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Haferman) (05/29/85)

> Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  Suppose a hitter (say one without a great deal
> of confidence) is behind the count 0-2 in the bottom of the ninth with his
> team behind by one run, so it's imperative that he reach base.  The pitcher
> loses control of the ball and it sails far beyond reach of either the batter
> or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
> for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
> intentionally!

I believe the rule says that the catcher must drop the ball in order for the
runner to be able to take off for first.  In this case, if the catcher doesn't
touch the ball,  my guess is that the batter is out on strikes.  However,
what happens if the catcher does touch the ball and it sails away  (either
a passed ball or a wild pitch)?  In this case, I would say the batter is
eligible to run to first.

(I tried getting on this way back in Little League...)

-Jeff

WIN TWINS!!!   (They always follow the losing streaks with twice as many wins)

jimph@ihlpg.UUCP (Jim Hendricks) (05/29/85)

> > Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  Suppose a hitter (say one without a great deal
> > of confidence) is behind the count 0-2 in the bottom of the ninth with his
> > team behind by one run, so it's imperative that he reach base.  The pitcher
> > loses control of the ball and it sails far beyond reach of either the batter
> > or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
> > for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
> > intentionally!
>

> I believe the rule says that the catcher must drop the ball in order for the
> runner to be able to take off for first.  In this case, if the catcher doesn't
> touch the ball,  my guess is that the batter is out on strikes.
Wrong! If the batter can think fast enough to swing and miss at a wild
pitch, he can run to first base whether or not the catcher touches it.
It isn't too healthy for his batting average but he can do it. The only
time that a batter cannot run to first on a third strike is
when there are less than two outs and first base is occupied.

ogre@mhuxl.UUCP (LO COCO) (05/30/85)

> Three singles to load the bases followed by three consecutive
> singles where the runner from third is thrown out at the plate.
> There are many other combinations, all of which involve the third
> out being made after the sixth hit but before the end of the play
> and before the run scores.

	You better use another combination, because if the bases are
	loaded and a batter gets a (hit) to the outfield or anywhere
	else for that matter, and the runner is thrown out at the
	plate, it is scored a force out(fielder's choice), not a hit.
--

				John B. Lo Coco
				(...mhuxl!ogre)

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (05/30/85)

> I believe the rule says that the catcher must drop the ball in order for the
> runner to be able to take off for first.  In this case, if the catcher doesn't
> touch the ball,  my guess is that the batter is out on strikes.

Incorrect.  It's not the catcher dropping it which is the criterion
for trying for first (along with whether first base is open), but
rather the catcher failing to catch the third strike.  Thus the batter
could head for first, even if the catcher never touches the third
strike.

						David Rubin

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (05/30/85)

It was stated that the catcher had to physically drop the ball (i.e. touch
it first) in order for the batter to run to first on a strikeout.  Wrongo!
And, yes, I guess there is no reason why the batter can't swing at a wild
pitch with 2 strikes in order to get to first.  This happens so rarely,
anyway, and is just a case of the batter taking advantage of an odd and
beneficial situation.  What's wrong with that??

--Evan Marcus
--

ryan@fremen.DEC (Mike Ryan DTN 264-8280 MK01-2/H32) (05/31/85)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 29-MAY-1985 11:47---------------------

>> > or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
>> > for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
>> > intentionally!
>>

>> I believe the rule says that the catcher must drop the ball in order for the
>> runner to be able to take off for first.  In this case, if the catcher doesn't
>> touch the ball,  my guess is that the batter is out on strikes.

>The only time that a batter cannot run to first on a third strike is
>when there are less than two outs and first base is occupied.

Why not?  Can't the runner on first go to second and get a stolen base (or
would that be scored as a wild pitch/passed ball)?

Mike Ryan
ARPA:	ryan%fremen.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
UUCP:	{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,ucbvax,...}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-fremen!ryan
ENet:	{FREMEN,BCSENG,CLOUD9}::RYAN