[net.sport.baseball] Dropped third strike

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (05/28/85)

In article <2301@decwrl.UUCP> ryan@cloud9.DEC (Mike Ryan) writes:

>Hmmm, that gives me an idea.  Suppose a hitter (say one without a great deal
>of confidence) is behind the count 0-2 in the bottom of the ninth with his
>team behind by one run, so it's imperative that he reach base.  The pitcher
>loses control of the ball and it sails far beyond reach of either the batter
>or catcher.  The batter could swing at the ball, striking out, and take off
>for first.  If he beats the throw, he's reached base by striking out
>intentionally!
>
>Mike Ryan

Two questions:  1) what is the (is there a) rule about when a swing of the
bat is no longer a strike?  Say in the example above, the ball has already
reached the wall behind the catcher.  Can the batter swing and strike out
or is it too late?

2) Where|how|under what circumstances did this rule evolve?  Most "oddball"
rules have some play associated with them that caused the rule to come
about.   (as in the batter's circle example)

Gilles Dignard				Space People think factories are
University of Waterloo				musical instruments.
Waterloo, Ontario			They sing along with them.
					Each song lasts from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
					No music on weekends.
						David Byrne

conrad@ucsfcca.UUCP (Conrad Huang) (06/01/85)

>>The only time that a batter cannot run to first on a third strike is
>>when there are less than two outs and first base is occupied.
>
>Why not?  Can't the runner on first go to second and get a stolen base (or
>would that be scored as a wild pitch/passed ball)?
>
>Mike Ryan

Because if the batter could run that would set up a force at second.  The
catcher would naturally drop any third strike in order to be able to throw
to second to start a double play.

					- Eric Pettersen