[net.sport.baseball] Detroit World Series Ring scam?

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (05/30/85)

Bob Verdi is writing "In The Wake of the News" in this morning's Chicago
Tribune sport's section.  One of his items is:  "World Series ring scandal
rocks Detroit".  It says that three different types of championship rings
were distributed to the Tiger team.  Scrubs received rings that were
worth $100.  Stars like Alan Trammell and Kirk Gibson got rings with real
diamonds instead of glass stones.  The remaining players received rings
with a value in between.  Can anyone shed more light on this?  I thought
that all Championship rings were worth the same (a lot!).

Mike Clifford

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (05/30/85)

> ..............................................."World Series ring scandal
> rocks Detroit". It says that three different types of championship rings
> were distributed to the Tiger team.  Scrubs received rings that were
> worth $100.  Stars like Alan Trammell and Kirk Gibson got rings with real
> diamonds instead of glass stones.  The remaining players received rings
> with a value in between.  Can anyone shed more light on this?

Once again, Jim Campbell shows what a cheap b*****d he is.  The rings given
to the Tiger players were valued proportional to the amount of World Series
money they received.  Players who were voted a full share received the rings
which were 24k gold with real stones.  Those players getting partial shares
got the "dime store phony" version with cut glass and very low carat gold,
worth about $80.  The controversy surfaced when Tiger reliever Bill Scherrer
noticed his ring was tarnishing.  He took it to a jeweler, where the discovery
was made.  He is reportedly so upset he has vowed never to wear it again.
Jack Morris commented that he had seen "better looking rings that came out of
a bubble-gum machine".  Scherrer joined the Tigers in late August of last
year, and hence was only voted a partial share of the World Series bounty.
I think the whole thing is totally stupid.  Our wonderful general manager
should be hung by his you-know-what for this.  The local radio stations have
had a great time with this one.  One has been running a commercial which goes
something like this:

"Yes folks, you too can now own a genuine World Series ring, just like those
given to some of the World Champion Tigers!  Made of the finest 6 carat gold,
with a genuine cut glass stone!  Order direct from Jim Campbell Marketing, Inc.
An $80.00 value - yours for only $280.00!! Call soon -they're going fast!!!
ACT NOW!!!!!!!!"

What a moron.

Mark Tompkins
epsilon!mb2c!mlt

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (05/31/85)

Here's some of what I read in the Washington Post.

 Pitcher Bill Scherrer, who joined the club in August, got one of the
cheaper rings, of which Jack Morris said "I've seen better rings come
out of bubblegum machines than the one the Tigers gave Scherrer".
 Scherrer's ring was sent out for appraisal and was reportedly only
worth $80. Milt Wilcox said that the appraiser wouldn't even take the
$50 fee because the ring was so bad.
 Kirk Gibson said "I've seen better rings around the collar".
 "I've got nothing to say", said Scherrer.
 According to Jim Campbell, there were 3 classes of rings ranging in price
from $1,304 to $380, the cheapest having glass stones. Campbell said "Nobody
ever told them it was a diamond".
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

csc@watmath.UUCP (Computer Sci Club) (06/08/85)

In article <163@mb2c.UUCP> mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) writes:
>> ..............................................."World Series ring scandal
>> rocks Detroit".
>
>I think the whole thing is totally stupid.  Our wonderful general manager
>should be hung by his you-know-what for this.  The local radio stations have
>had a great time with this one.  One has been running a commercial which goes
>something like this:
>
>"Yes folks, you too can now own a genuine World Series ring, just like those
>given to some of the World Champion Tigers!  Made of the finest 6 carat gold,
>with a genuine cut glass stone!  Order direct from Jim Campbell Marketing, Inc.
>An $80.00 value - yours for only $280.00!! Call soon -they're going fast!!!
>ACT NOW!!!!!!!!"
>
>What a moron.
>
>Mark Tompkins
>epsilon!mb2c!mlt

Look at the bright side:  I'll be amazed if Campbell will have the opportunity
to make the same mistake again this year...

            W   L    Pct  Strk  GB
Toronto    36  16   .692   5W   --
Baltimore  29  22   .569   1L   6 1/2
Detroit    27  24   .529   2L   8 1/2

This year, *TORONTO* gets the rings.

Gilles Dignard
University of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ontario

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (06/10/85)

/*  */
> What a moron.  ( referring to Jim Campbell )
> Mark Tompkins
>> Look at the bright side: I'll be amazed if Campbell will have the opportunity>> to make the same mistake again this year...
>> This year, *TORONTO* gets the rings.
>> Gilles Dignard

Har,har.  Very funny.  After thhe Tigers came back and *THRASHED* the Jays on
Saturday and Sunday, I wouldn't hold your breath.  As of today, the Tigers and
Baltimore are both 6 1/2 out.  There are still about 110 games left - an awful
long way to go yet...

Thursday's 12-inning game was a classic.  Even though I am a die-hard Tiger
worshipper, I felt sorry for Jimmy Key - I hate to see someone get so close
to a no-hitter and lose it.  Both he and Dan Petry pitched tremendous ball.
After Friday's humiliation, Sparky let 'em have it in the clubhouse.  It
seems to have worked.  This race will go down to the last week - there are
just too many good teams in this division.  Getting back to Mr. Key, I was
surprised he pitched so well against Detroit, considering the way we beat
up on him last year.  He has really come a long way since then.  He pitched
a very smart game Thursday - my hat off to him ( the one with the big "D" on
it, of course...).

And Gilles, if by some chance those dreaded Jays do win this year's Fall
Classic, I can get you a great deal on some World Series rings... (-:

Can't wait 'till those Jays come to Detroit.

Mark Tompkins
epsilon!mb2c!mlt