[net.sport.baseball] summary of dropped third strike

roth@ut-sally.UUCP (Mark Roth) (06/28/85)

I only got one response to my question about why dropped third strikes
are not an out until the batter is thrown out at first or tagged out.

Here it is:

A strikeout is also a putout credited to the catcher; if he fails to
complete the putout, the batter may advance.  Why?  I'm not sure, but
I think similar things occur in cricket, so I guess my answer is: it's
an inherited trait!

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

bob@vaxwaller.UUCP (Bob Palin) (07/02/85)

> I only got one response to my question about why dropped third strikes
> are not an out until the batter is thrown out at first or tagged out.
>
> Here it is:

> A strikeout is also a putout credited to the catcher; if he fails to
> complete the putout, the batter may advance.  Why?  I'm not sure, but
> I think similar things occur in cricket, so I guess my answer is: it's
> an inherited trait!
>
> 					David Rubin
> 			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

I find it hard to believe that there is any connection between cricket and
baseball, the philosophy of the two games is entirely different, baseball
being a quick, rush to score type game and cricket a slower tactical
scoring ( or non scoring ) game.  There is a game played in Britain called
rounders which is very similar to baseball but for the most part is is only
played by kids now.

Bob Palin, Varian Instruments, Walnut Creek, Ca.
				formerly of Luton, Beds., England