[net.sport.baseball] NL catchers

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (07/15/85)

David Rubin writes:

>       c       Carter          NY       4
>       c       Pena            Pit      3
>
>Obviously a two horse race from the start, this ended much more
>closely then I expected.  I don't believe Pena's defense, at most
>marginally better than Carter's, makes up for what Carter has thus
>far done with the bat.  Good thing I didn't disqualify myself from
>voting.  Looks like Pena has enough support to expect to be inserted
>in the seventh inning.

     Of  course,  you  are  entitled  to  your  opinion,  as
incorrect  as  it is.  Pena's defense leaves Carter, and the
others, in the dust. Every time I  listen  to  a  game,  the
announcers  are  saying,  "...  so-and-so,  one  of the best
defensive catchers in the game." Just last weekend, I  heard
this  about Yeager, Pena, Carter, and Jody Davis. Not every-
body can be one of the best. In fact, Yeager and  Davis  are
good,  Carter is very good, and Pena is the best defensively
in the NL (I can't speak about the AL as I don't see them as
much.) I watch every Met game, nearly every Braves game, and
nearly all Cub games on Cable TV, so I see Carter, Davis and
Pena  a  lot.  Pena's  arm  is  by far the best. His overall
defense is better. The stops he makes  of  bad  pitches  are
amazing.

     In addition, his  offense  is  slighted.  He  hits  for
higher  percentage  than the others, and has good extra-base
power. His speed on the basepaths is much  better  than  the
others  -  perhaps  you  might have read that he scored from
first-base on a single a few games ago? How many catchers do
that?  He is a .300 hitter with 15 or so homers a year, bat-
ting in a terrible lineup. Over the last few years, he  usu-
ally batted sixth or seventh, often with only Dale Berra (!)
behind him. Don't ask me why he was batted there, ask  Chuck
Tanner.

     Two years ago, when Madlock, Thompson, etc. were  still
hitting  OK,  Pena  led the team in game-winning hits. Maybe
that is why he was left in that spot -  he  produces.  (Last
year,  they  didn't  win enough games for anyone to get many
game-winning hits.) The point is that  if  he  were  hitting
third or fourth, ahead of people like Strawberry and Foster,
his stats would obviously improve. (At  this  point  in  the
season,  Carter  has  a  some  extra HRs and a few more RBI,
while batting in a clearly better lineup. Big deal.)

     If you didn't expect it to be this close, it's  because
you  don't  really  perceive  Pena's ability. The Gold Glove
voters do, because they gave it to Pena, when it would  have
been easy to stick with the previous consensus winner - Car-
ter.

     Pena is the most entertaining player I've seen in quite
a  while.  His  all-out performance and obvious enjoyment of
the game are great to watch.  It's  too  bad  he  plays  for
Pittsburgh,  for  if  he played in a media center, he'd be a
much bigger star.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (07/19/85)

[>>=Rubin, >=Benjamin, =Rubin II]

>>........................  I don't believe Pena's defense, at most
>>marginally better than Carter's, makes up for what Carter has thus
>>far done with the bat.  .........................................

> ......................  Pena's defense leaves Carter, and the
> others, in the dust. .......................................
> .............  Pena's  arm  is  by far the best. His overall
> defense is better. The stops he makes  of  bad  pitches  are
> amazing.

The most important measured defensive contribution a catcher makes
is the slowing of the opposition's running game.  Two teams have
consistently been the toughest to run on the past few years.  They
featured veteran pitching staffs of high quality and rifle-armed
catchers behind the plate.  They were, of course, Montreal and
Pittsburgh.  No objective difference between the two club's ability
to shut down an opposition running game are discernible (Montreal was
a wee bit tougher); thus, no difference between the two catcher's
abilities in this respect are demonstrable.

Somewhat less critical is the number of bad pitches stopped by the
catcher.  I have watched both Pena and Carter with equal frequency (up
until this year).  I can see no difference.  I doubt anyone really
can.

I will admit that Pena covers a little more ground in foul territory,
and gets to the ball in front of home plate a wee bit quicker.
However, those attributes are unlikely to be decisive in more than one
game every decade, at least in the differences in ability we are
discussing here.  I stand by my choice of the word "marginal".

Finally, the catcher's most important defensive contribution is
unmeasured: the call of the game.  Because it is unmeasured, it is
often neglected.  That is, of course, leads to a distorted view of a
catcher's defensive value.  However, because it is unmeasured, I will
ignore it for the purposes of this discussion, satisfying myself with
noting that, while many disinterested observers claim Carter is the
best at calling a game in the majors today, few claim that distinction
for Pena.

>      In addition, his  offense  is  slighted.  He  hits  for
> higher  percentage  than the others, and has good extra-base
> power.

If by higher percentage, you mean a higher batting average, some years
yes, some years no.  If you mean a higher on base percentage, you are
dead wrong: Tony Pena doesn't know the meaning of the words "base on
balls" (odd, for a catcher, isn't it?).  Finally, Carter's power and
Pena's power are of different orders of magnitude.  Remember also that
Pena's stats were generated in a park moderately favoring hitters, while
Carter's were generated in a park second only to the Astrodome (before
dimension changes of this year) in depressing hitting statistics.

>             His speed on the basepaths is much  better  than  the
> others  -  perhaps  you  might have read that he scored from
> first-base on a single a few games ago?.......................

He does have better speed.  Excellent for a catcher, unremarkable for
anyone else.  Again, this does not win many ballgames.

> .....  He is a .300 hitter with 15 or so homers a year, bat-
> ting in a terrible lineup.

He is not a .300 hitter, and he doesn't hit 15 or so homers a year.
If my memory serves me well, he's more a .280 hitter who hits 12 or so
homers a year.  A thin .280, too -- few walks.  If you wish to contest
me on this point, I will actually look it up.

The Pirate lineup hasn't been as bad as you make it out to be.
Pittsburgh lost it's oomph in the last few years.  Chuck Tanner also
had a damn good reason to bat Pena sixth instead of third -- he swings
at everything.  Mangers prefer the more disciplined hitters to precede
the unreconstructed free swingers.  The fact that Pena is finally
batting third is due in no small measure to the abysmal performance of
the rest of the team so far.  Before this season (and last), Pena had
played on generally good offensive teams.  Certainly better than the
Expos of the first half dozen years of Carter's career.

>      Two years ago, when Madlock, Thompson, etc. were  still
> hitting  OK,  Pena  led the team in game-winning hits.

Game winning rbi's is the silliest statistic yet invented.  It's a
random crap shoot among people batting in the middle of good line ups.

> ............................  It's  too  bad  he [Pena] plays  for
> Pittsburgh,  for  if  he played in a media center, he'd be a
> much bigger star.

Carter made HIS reputation in a foreign country....

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (07/23/85)

*** REPLACE THIS NEWSGROUP WITH NET.SPORT.BASEBALL.STRIKE ***

[Rubin, Benjamin, Rubin II, Benjamin II]

> The most important measured defensive contribution a catcher makes
> is the slowing of the opposition's running game.  Two teams have
> consistently been the toughest to run on the past few years.  They
> featured veteran pitching staffs of high quality and rifle-armed
> catchers behind the plate.  They were, of course, Montreal and
> Pittsburgh.  No objective difference between the two club's ability
> to shut down an opposition running game are discernible (Montreal was
> a wee bit tougher); thus, no difference between the two catcher's
> abilities in this respect are demonstrable.

Some statistics, please, for these assertions?

Even if the stats are true, the fact  that  Montreal  has  a
much faster team than Pgh (check the stats for last year and
this one) means that Pgh faces a  tougher  average  opponent
than Montreal, as far as speed is concerned). Thus, if there
is "no objective difference" in how they stop  thefts,  then
Pgh is clearly better at stopping the running game.  (If you
want me to add the thefts for the league without Pgh vs. the
league  vs.  Montreal, figure the percentage difference, and
post it, just yell.)

> Somewhat less critical is the number of bad pitches stopped by the
> catcher.  I have watched both Pena and Carter with equal frequency (up
> until this year).  I can see no difference.  I doubt anyone really
> can.

I hate to point this out again, but the  Gold  Glove  voters
obviously can see a difference. They probably know more than
you or I do about the relative strengths of their arms,  and
their  ability to stop bad pitches. What I have read is that
Pena's arm is much better. It looks that way  on  the  tube,
too.

By the way, where is evidence for your statement  that  this
is less critical than throwing out runners? I might agree on
this, but without evidence, it is just unsupported opinion.

> If by higher percentage, you mean a higher batting average, some years
> yes, some years no.  If you mean a higher on base percentage, you are
> dead wrong: Tony Pena doesn't know the meaning of the words "base on
> balls" (odd, for a catcher, isn't it?).  Finally, Carter's power and
> Pena's power are of different orders of magnitude.

Pena's batting averages for the four years he has played are
.300,  .296,  25 points higher than Carter. Do you have fig-
ures to support your statement that Carter more  than  makes
up the difference in on-base pct?

Pena hit 15 HRs each of the last two years. Carter has aver-
aged  about  23  HRs a year, including seasons of 16, 17 and
19. You call the difference between 15 and 23  an  order  of
magnitude?  Perhaps  you should study a bit more math :-) By
the way, Carter hit 31 HR's in '77, promising a great  power
career,  but never hit 30 again! If you want a power-hitting
catcher, try Parrish - he averages about 30 a year,  and  is
improving.   (That  means  that  Parrish outpowers Carter by
about the same margin that Carter outpowers Pena.)

> Remember also that
> Pena's stats were generated in a park moderately favoring hitters, while
> Carter's were generated in a park second only to the Astrodome (before
> dimension changes of this year) in depressing hitting statistics.

I see. Park matters more than surrounding lineup.  Where  is
your  evidence  for  this? I disagree completely. I think it
varies on a situational basis. In  the  Pirate  lineup,  the
only  two hitters that represent threats (Jason Thompson and
Pena) are constantly pitched around. Hence, try to put  them
together in the lineup. But, as you point out, Pena is not a
good #3 hitter - he doesn't make enough contact to bat third
(neither  does Carter), so this was abandoned. However, Pena
is still hitting as well as he did at this point  two  years
ago,  when  he  finished at .300 and 15 HRs. Like many latin
players, he heats up when the weather does.

At any rate, Pgh's park is hardly a great hitter's park. ERA
championships are not won by teams in hitter's parks.

> He does have better speed.  Excellent for a catcher, unremarkable for
> anyone else.  Again, this does not win many ballgames.

Wrong again! As just one example, do you remember  the  1982
St.  Louis  team?  They were a speed team, crafted for their
park, but they won anywhere. Speed is a  crucial  factor  in
baseball.  By  this,  I  do  not mean just stolen bases, but
speed, e.g., going first to third on a  single,  causing  an
infielder  to rush a throw, avoiding a double play, etc. The
opinions of many baseball people that I have  read  recently
seem  to  agree  that speed is becoming more and more impor-
tant, especially with the advent of artificial turf.   (Also
check out this year's St. Louis team.)

> He is not a .300 hitter, and he doesn't hit 15 or so homers a year.
> If my memory serves me well, he's more a .280 hitter who hits 12 or so
> homers a year.  A thin .280, too -- few walks.  If you wish to contest
> me on this point, I will actually look it up.

You'd better look it up. Perhaps your disks need rebooting!

To put Pena's offensive ability in focus, perhaps  we  might
contrast it in two ways:

1) with Dave Parker last year (his stats are on the same page):
             AVG      R     HR     RBI     SB
   Parker   .285     73     16     94      11

   Pena     .286     77     15     78      12

despite Parker's getting 10% more at bats, and hitting in a stronger
lineup. (Everybody who didn't play for Pgh. hit in a stronger lineup!)
If Dave Parker had been a Gold Glove catcher last year, you'd have
heard a LOT about it! But Pena plays in Pittsville for a lousy team,
so you hear relatively little.

2) with Carter last year (Carter's best all-around offensive year)

   Carter   .294     75     27    106       2

   Pena     .286     77     15     78      12

Carter does have the HR's, but in total runs (R + RBI - HR) we see:

   Carter    154

   Pena      140

This reflects the contribution to the team's scoring,  which
is  the  ONLY  important  thing  for winners. If you look at
Montreal's scoring versus  Pgh  last  year,  you  see  (once
again) that Montreal outscored Pgh by much more than 10%, so
that Pena contributed a great  deal  to  Pgh's  offense.  It
requires great obstinacy to say that if Pena had batted in a
good lineup, that he wouldn't  have  gotten  14  more  total
runs.  Thus  I reiterate, "If Pena played on a good team, he
would be a star."

> The Pirate lineup hasn't been as bad as you make it out to be.
> Pittsburgh lost it's oomph in the last few years.

But Pena has played only the last few years. And the Pirates
have  more  than  lost oomph, the offense has disintegrated.
Only the Giants are worst in scoring runs, and by a  decimal
point.  The  good  offenses  in  the  NL  are outscoring the
Pirates by well over a run a game. You seem to underplay the
importance  that  the surrounding lineup means to a player's
stats.

> Before this season (and last), Pena had
> played on generally good offensive teams.  Certainly better than the
> Expos of the first half dozen years of Carter's career.

So, you admit the  importance  of  the  surrounding  lineup!
Again,  Pena  has played fulltime for only the last 3 years,
and parttime for one year before that.  Also, you seem to be
blithely  ignoring  the  fact  that Carter was part of those
Expo teams that were supposed to win it all for a few  years
in  a  row,  but failed every time. Those were very talented
teams.

> Game winning rbi's is the silliest statistic yet invented.  It's a
> random crap shoot among people batting in the middle of good line ups.

Where are your numbers to support such a statement?  When  a
player  makes  a  relatively  heavy contribution to a team's
scoring, and drives in so many  game-winners,  it  CAN'T  be
ignored, (unless you really are trying hard :-) ).