[net.sport.baseball] scoring question

ran@bentley.UUCP (RA Novo) (07/26/85)

A friend of mine brought up an interesting scoring question. There is
a rule in baseball that states that for a starting pitcher to get a win,
he must go a minimum of five innings. In the following situation then,
who gets credit for the win?

Team A is visiting at team B. The leadoff hitter for team A hits a home
run for the game's only run. The starting pitcher for team A pitches the
bottom of the first, and then is removed with a blister. Team A uses 9
different pitchers, each of which works for exactly one inning, and then
is removed for one of several assorted reasons. (Injury, Pinch-hitter, etc.)
But the final score of the game is 1-0, and team B does not mount any
substantial threats against any of the opponents pitchers.

True, this situation may be a bit far fetched, but I think that it is the best
that can be used as an example to explain the starting pitcher five inning
rule.

Off on a side note: If the starting pitcher must go five innings for the
win credit, why did LaMarr Hoyt win the all-star game? Shouldn't it have been
Nolan Ryan?

--

Robert A. Novo				"Captain! They put creatures
AT&T Bell Labs				 in our ears! They made us say

jimph@ihlpg.UUCP (Jim Hendricks) (07/26/85)

> A friend of mine brought up an interesting scoring question. There is
> a rule in baseball that states that for a starting pitcher to get a win,
> he must go a minimum of five innings. In the following situation then,
> who gets credit for the win?
>
> Team A is visiting at team B. The leadoff hitter for team A hits a home
> run for the game's only run. The starting pitcher for team A pitches the
> bottom of the first, and then is removed with a blister. Team A uses 9
> different pitchers, each of which works for exactly one inning, and then
> is removed for one of several assorted reasons. (Injury, Pinch-hitter, etc.)
> But the final score of the game is 1-0, and team B does not mount any
> substantial threats against any of the opponents pitchers.
> Off on a side note: If the starting pitcher must go five innings for the
> win credit, why did LaMarr Hoyt win the all-star game? Shouldn't it have been
> Nolan Ryan?

The second pitcher would get the win. The rule states that a STARTING
pitcher must go 5 innings to get the win so the next eight pitchers
are not constrained by the rule. The second pitcher gets the win and
the ninth pitcher gets the save.
In the all-star game, they waive the 5 inning rule for obvious
reasons. Since so many pitchers pitch, the starter never goes five
innings.

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (07/26/85)

Depending on interpretation, either the second pitcher or the pitcher that
finished the fifth inning gets the win.  I'm not sure the correct
interpretation.  It probably changes every so often.  The five inning rule
is explicitly suspended for all-star games.  Also, the rule differs for
shortened games.  I think 3 innings is enough for a five inning game.

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (07/26/85)

> A friend of mine brought up an interesting scoring question. There is
> a rule in baseball that states that for a starting pitcher to get a win,
> he must go a minimum of five innings. In the following situation then,
> who gets credit for the win?
>
> Team A is visiting at team B. The leadoff hitter for team A hits a home
> run for the game's only run. The starting pitcher for team A pitches the
> bottom of the first, and then is removed with a blister. Team A uses 9
> different pitchers, each of which works for exactly one inning, and then
> is removed for one of several assorted reasons. (Injury, Pinch-hitter, etc.)
> But the final score of the game is 1-0, and team B does not mount any
> substantial threats against any of the opponents pitchers.
>
> True, this situation may be a bit far fetched, but I think that it is the best
> that can be used as an example to explain the starting pitcher five inning
> rule.

	According to baseball rules, the second pitcher entering the game
	would get the win. It may not be right, but its the rule.

> Off on a side note: If the starting pitcher must go five innings for the
> win credit, why did LaMarr Hoyt win the all-star game? Shouldn't it have been
> Nolan Ryan?

	For the All Star game they waive this rule since starting pitchers,
	as a rule (no pun intended), pitch three innings.

> --
>
> Robert A. Novo				"Captain! They put creatures
> AT&T Bell Labs				 in our ears! They made us say
> Piscataway, NJ                           things that weren't true!"
> ...bentley!ran

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (07/26/85)

Actually, the rule states that no pitcher can pitch more than three
innings, except for extra innings.  Also, none of the other eight
starters can be removed (except due to injury) before the end of the
third inning.  There is something about bringing back a catcher, too.

cpf@lasspvax.UUCP (Courtenay Footman) (07/27/85)

In article <539@bentley.UUCP> ran@bentley.UUCP (RA Novo) writes:
>A friend of mine brought up an interesting scoring question. There is
>Team A is visiting at team B. The leadoff hitter for team A hits a home
>run for the game's only run. The starting pitcher for team A pitches the
>bottom of the first, and then is removed with a blister. Team A uses 9
>different pitchers, each of which works for exactly one inning, and then
>is removed for one of several assorted reasons. (Injury, Pinch-hitter, etc.)
>But the final score of the game is 1-0, and team B does not mount any
>substantial threats against any of the opponents pitchers.

10.19.c.1: "When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning
team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit
the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the
most effective;"
   I would hate to be the scorer in this situation.

>Off on a side note: If the starting pitcher must go five innings for the
>win credit, why did LaMarr Hoyt win the all-star game? Shouldn't it have been
>Nolan Ryan?

10.19.g: "In some non-championship games (such as the Major League All-Star
Game) it is provided in advance that each pitcher shall work a stated number
of innings, usually two or three.  In such games, it is customary to credit
the victory to the pitcher of record, whether starter or reliever, when the
winning team takes a lead which it maintains to the end of the game, unless
such pitcher is knocked out after the winning team has a commanding lead,
and the scorer believes a subsequent pitcher is entitled to credit for the
victory."
>Robert A. Novo				"Captain! They put creatures
>AT&T Bell Labs				 in our ears! They made us say
>Piscataway, NJ                           things that weren't true!"
>...bentley!ran
Hope this has been of help.  All quotes are from "Official Baseball Rules",
1982 ed., (C) 1982, The Commissioner of Baseball.
Did you ever hear about the major league game that
had two balls in play at the same time?
--
Courtenay Footman			arpa:	cpf@lnsvax
Newman Lab. of Nuclear Studies		usenet:	cornell!lnsvax!cpf