[net.sport.baseball] Williams vs Andujar

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (07/16/85)

Joaquin Andujar (St. Louis Cardinals: 15-4, 2.37 ERA
LaMarr Hoyt (San Diego Padres):       12-4, 2.93 ERA
NL Manager:  Dick Williams (San Diego Padres)

Guess who Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?

I can't blame Andujar for getting pissed off, but he should of stayed around
and let the St. Louis PR and media people put the pressure on Williams to
change his selection to Andujar.  Instead, Andujar took his ball and went
home.  I still think Williams is an A-1 jerk for playing around with the
privilege of selecting the starter, and his tone and demeanor at the
press conference yesterday was one of a pompous ass.  I have nothing against
Hoyt, who I think is a terrific pitcher.
(David Rubin:  I'm not mentioning Gooden here only because he wasn't one
of William's choices for the starting.  I agree he should have been.)
Let's go NL!!

Mike Clifford

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (07/17/85)

In <1102@ihuxb.UUCP> Mike clifford writes:

> Joaquin Andujar (St. Louis Cardinals: 15-4, 2.37 ERA
> LaMarr Hoyt (San Diego Padres):       12-4, 2.93 ERA
>
> Guess who [Manager Dick] Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?

Not quite right.  Williams said that he didn't have to pick a starter until
2 days after Andujar backed out.  Apparently Andujar wanted an early commitment,
and it's quite possible that Williams didn't even know it (tho I doubt that).

About the game, I think it's interesting that the NL trounced (I think 6-1 is
a trounce) the AL without several key players. But more interesting that in
the year that the AL's bats are supposed to be superior, it was clearly the
NL's pitching that did the job.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

Just to hit the ball and touch 'em all
A moment in the sun
It's gone, and you can tell that one goodbye.

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (07/18/85)

> Joaquin Andujar (St. Louis Cardinals: 15-4, 2.37 ERA
> LaMarr Hoyt (San Diego Padres):       12-4, 2.93 ERA
> NL Manager:  Dick Williams (San Diego Padres)
>
> Guess who Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?
>
> (David Rubin:  I'm not mentioning Gooden here only because he wasn't one
> of William's choices for the starting.  I agree he should have been.)
> Let's go NL!!
>
> Mike Clifford

Dwight Gooden didn't was not considered to start the All-Star game because he
had worked just a couple days before.  I don't have any facts to support this,
but I believe All-Star managers have had a tendency to choose starting pitchers
from their own team.  (Williams-Hoyt, Anderson-Morris)
I would have enjoyed seeing Dave Stieb start against Dwight Gooden and probably
would have watched more than the first couple of innings had this been the
matchup.
--
Al Gates
BDM Corporation                 {seismo,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!gates

(My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the BDM Corporation)

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (07/22/85)

One thing I have not seen discussed anywhere, but seems obvious to me:
Both managers made sure to use as much as possible, and indeed selected
such, pitchers from their own divisions' chief rivals.  In particular,
Sparky picked several Toronto pitchers.  By using them sufficiently,
they would miss a start or be less effective.  The potential for gaining
about a game in the standings is great.  One game could make the difference.
Coincidence?  Don't you believe it.

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (07/24/85)

>Guess who Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?

WWWHHHHHHOOOOAAAAAAA there Mike!!!

Dick Williams did not pick Hoyt before Andujar had his little boy
tantrum. He said he wasn't going to decide on a starter until after
Friday. Andujar said that he didn't have to prove himself Friday
to win the position and withdrew.

I believe this is the fourth time in five potential all-star years
that Andujar did this.

A final note: before the all-star game Willians said something
to this effect: "I don't care if he's not here. I'm just glad
he was there Friday night when we beat him".

Roy

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (07/26/85)

> Both managers made sure to use as much as possible, and indeed selected
> such, pitchers from their own divisions' chief rivals.  In particular,
> Sparky picked several Toronto pitchers.
Sparky probably used the two Toronto pitchers because they (Key & Steib) are
both pitching very well this year.  At the time they had the lowest (Steib)
and 3rd lowest (Key) ERAs in the AL.

> One game could make the difference.
I think (hope) Sparky's team will need a lot more than one game. :-)

--
				Malcolm MacPhail,
				Department of Computer Science,

UUCP:  {linus,ihnp4,allegra,floyd,utzoo,cornell,decwrl,uw-beaver}!utcsri!malcolm
CSNET: malcolm@Toronto
ARPA:  malcolm%Toronto@CSNet-Relay
--

malcolm@utcsri.UUCP (Malcolm MacPhail) (07/26/85)

> > One game could make the difference.
> I think (hope) Sparky's team will need a lot more than one game. :-)
>
> 				Malcolm MacPhail

What I meant by "I think (hope) ..." was that NOW, July 25th, I think
the Tigers will need more than one game, but back before the All-Star
break I wasn't that sure and could only hope.

--
"Why do they call it an ALL-STAR game if not ALL the STARS where there?"

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (07/26/85)

> >Guess who Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?
> WWWHHHHHHOOOOAAAAAAA there Mike!!!
> Dick Williams did not pick Hoyt before Andujar had his little boy
> tantrum. He said he wasn't going to decide on a starter until after
> Friday.
And he said that the starter would be the winner of the SD - StL game that
night.  Andujar has a better record and a lower ERA but that's not good
enough, Williams says that one game will decide it.  I think that Williams
was guessing that this would make Andujar hot under the collar, making
it more likely that SD would defeat StL.  Playing head games with Andujar,
hoping he would do something dumb (which he did, in walking out, Williams
"had no choice" but to select Hoyt).  I think that Williams is a jerk for
toying with the All-Star game like that.  A good manager, but a jerk.

> Andujar said that he didn't have to prove himself Friday
> to win the position and withdrew.
I wish that Andujar would have stayed around and bitched to the press...
Williams would've had a lot of pressure on him to select Andujar as the
starter regardless of the outcome of the SD - StL game if the press got
on him.

> I believe this is the fourth time in five potential all-star years
> that Andujar did this.
Did what?  Choose not to participate?  If that's the case, then I think
it is even MORE likely that Williams said what he did to bug Andujar,
knowing that Andujar has a history of "walking out" of the All-Star game.
What a jerk Williams is!  I'm glad Jim Frey can be a good manager without
being a jerk.

> A final note: before the all-star game Willians said something
> to this effect: "I don't care if he's not here. I'm just glad
> he was there Friday night when we beat him".
Yeah, I saw the press conference when he said that.  I retract what I said
about Williams being a jerk.  He is a pompous, self-serving jerk.

> Roy
Mike Clifford

martin@aecom.UUCP (Martin Klaman) (07/29/85)

> >Guess who Williams picked to start in the All-Star game?
>
> WWWHHHHHHOOOOAAAAAAA there Mike!!!
>
> Dick Williams did not pick Hoyt before Andujar had his little boy
> tantrum. He said he wasn't going to decide on a starter until after
> Friday. Andujar said that he didn't have to prove himself Friday
> to win the position and withdrew.
> .
> .
> .
> A final note: before the all-star game Willians said something
> to this effect: "I don't care if he's not here. I'm just glad
> he was there Friday night when we beat him".
>
> Roy

If you look at that Friday night game (Hoyt vs. Andujar), you have to
wonder what point Williams was trying to make.  The score of the game
was 2-0 (padres), so the Padres win was due to Hoyt's fine pitching
and/or the Cardinals poor hitting. Andujar gave up only two runs - a nice
pitching performance - and cannot really be criticized for that. I see
only two possible explanations of that statement: 1) Williams also having
"little boy" symptoms ("Nyeh, nyeh, I got you baaaack!")
2) Williams determining whether a pitcher should start the all-star game
based on his won-loss record. This loss was therefore saying: "See, you
lost so you dont deserve to start anyhow."

Martin Klamen