[net.sport.baseball] 3 cheers for the Mick

jeff@utastro.UUCP (Jeff Brown the Scumbag) (07/11/85)

Destined to fire up the pro-/anti-Pete Rose flames again:

Mickey Mantle was quoted (by the Austin  paper) from his
book, "The Mick", as saying:

"If I played my career hitting singles like Pete [Rose],
I'd wear a dress."

Rose could play, powered by ego, for the next thirty years,
and I still wouldn't call him even the best switch-hitter
of all time.

Jeff Brown the Scumbag        (...!utastro!jeff)
U. of Texas Astronomy Dept.
Austin,  TX 78712

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (07/16/85)

> Destined to fire up the pro-/anti-Pete Rose flames again:
>
> Mickey Mantle was quoted (by the Austin  paper) from his
> book, "The Mick", as saying:
>
> "If I played my career hitting singles like Pete [Rose],
> I'd wear a dress."
>
> Jeff Brown the Scumbag        (...!utastro!jeff)
> U. of Texas Astronomy Dept.
> Austin,  TX 78712

As long as we're (I'm) bringing up pro/anti Pete Rose flames again, I'd like
to mention something that should make the "Pete Rose is THE TOTAL TEAM player"
fans think.  It happened a few years back when Rose played with the Phils and
was chasing Joe D.'s longest hitting streak record.  After the game when Rose's
streak ended he blasted the opposing pitcher for not giving him anything to
hit in his last at bat (Rose struck out).  So, if Rose is the total team player
why did he chase the bad pitches and strike out instead of taking the walk and
helping his team by putting a man on base.  Seemed like he was more interested
in his personal performance than with the team's.  And then to complain about
the pitcher not giving him anything to hit.  Gee isn't that the pitcher's job?
Better get a bib to keep the tears off the dress, Pete:-).

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

jcc@siemens.UUCP (07/26/85)

Pete Rose was not playing for the Phils when he chased
Joe D.'s record, he was still with the Reds.  However,
the pitcher he blasted (the one who struck him out) was
an ex-Phillie playing for the Atlanta Braves.  BONUS POINTS!!!
Name that pitcher.

					Joe Camaratta
					princeton!siemens!jcc

barryw@pesnta.UUCP (Barry Wenger) (07/28/85)

[strike three]

	The pitcher was Tug McGraw (sp?) I think.

lip@gcc-bill.ARPA (Sethkin) (07/30/85)

In article <93800005@siemens.UUCP> jcc@siemens.UUCP writes:

>Pete Rose was not playing for the Phils when he chased
>Joe D.'s record, he was still with the Reds.  However,
>the pitcher he blasted (the one who struck him out) was
>an ex-Phillie playing for the Atlanta Braves.  BONUS POINTS!!!
>Name that pitcher.

Pete Rose *was* playing for the Phillies during his hitting streak!  The
streak was stopped by Gene Garber of the Braves (and formerly of the Phillies).

Seth Lipkin
General Computer Company
harvard!gcc-bill!lip

"Is art the mirror of life, or what?"       - Woody Allen

menees@magic.ARPA (08/01/85)

In article <271@gcc-bill.ARPA> lip@gcc-bill.UUCP (Sethkin) writes:

>Pete Rose *was* playing for the Phillies during his hitting streak!

Pete had his 44 game hitting streak in 1978, when he was still wearing
uniform of the Cincinnati Reds.  (see The National League Green
Book, 1986, p. 74)

Sherri Menees

menees@decwrl