[net.sport.baseball] Fans Before/After Strike

martin@aecom.UUCP (Martin Klaman) (08/07/85)

>Subject: Is Tonight the Last Night of the Season
>And who gets hurt here.  The principals involved (owners and players)
>should have a short-term tarnish.  I will have a short-term agony and a
>long-term tarnish.  Woe to care about statistics!  Its not fair because
>I will still be a baseball fan; they won't lose like me, with nothing
>to strike back with, no recourse at all.
>Sure we can try to boycott or something, act casual when baseball returns,
>pretend we don't care, but it won't matter.  They've got me hook, line and
>sinker, and probably a bunch of you too.
>  Daniel Schneider

During/After the last baseball strike there was talk about fans 'striking back'
by boycotting games.  Although a number of individuals actually stayed away
from the ballpark, the vast majority of fans came back to see their teams
play.  As a matter of fact,  baseball game attendence has gone up tremendously
over the last ten years, of which the last four are after the previous strike.
[the exact percentage is rise in attendance was mentioned recently on a sportsd
report, but i forgot what it is; anybody out there know what it is?]
I know I'll be going back to the ballpark and watching the games on TV,
whenever this strike is over , just like last time, for I too will still
be a baseball fan.

			- Martin Klamen