[net.sport.baseball] Pirate`s Fire Sale Continues...

radio@spuxll.UUCP (Rick Farina) (08/04/85)

In a stoke of genius ranking right up there with the Yankees` dumping of
Steve Kemp onto the Pirates earlier this year, the Pirates -- in one swoop
-- made themselves more attractive to potential buyers by trading
Hendrick, Candalaria, and Holland to California in exchange
for several young [read: cheap] players.

This leaves just Thompson, Kemp, and Madlock as the only counter-productive
[read: seven-figure salary] players on the team. Once these three are
dispatched, the team will have relatively no salary overhead, and could be
sold quicker than a Springsteen ticket.

One is free to speculate on how easily Pirates GM Joe Brown will be able to
unload these last three. After all, there simply aren`t many teams around
with the free-agent/talent savvy of the Angels, except, of course, for the
Yankees.

The Yankees have already had Kemp (fool me once shame on you,
fool me twice shame on me...). However, they HAVE tried to get Thompson
from the Pirates before -- in fact, just before his brillianlty executed
salary-drive season of 1982. Who knows? They still might be interested.
And the Yankees still have third base problems.
Madlock used to play third base, right?

Go get `em Joe -- avenge the Kemp/Berra deal!

raf
---

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/05/85)

> In a stoke of genius ranking right up there with the Yankees` dumping of
> Steve Kemp onto the Pirates earlier this year, the Pirates -- in one swoop
> -- made themselves more attractive to potential buyers by trading
> Hendrick, Candalaria, and Holland to California in exchange
> for several young [read: cheap] players.

I read about this one without being able to find out whom the Pirates
received in return.  Anyone know?

I also noted that the Expos traded away Dan Driessen to the Giants
(who already sold Rajsich back to the Cards, are now apparently giving
up on Green, and are making a habit of obtaining first basemen from
Montreal) for Bill Laksey, Scot Thompson, and Player To B. Named Later.
Unless the mystery man turns out to be quite a surprise, am I alone in
thinking this move absolutely insane on the Expos part?

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) (08/06/85)

> I also noted that the Expos traded away Dan Driessen to the Giants
> (who already sold Rajsich back to the Cards, are now apparently giving
> up on Green, and are making a habit of obtaining first basemen from
> Montreal) for Bill Laksey, Scot Thompson, and Player To B. Named Later.
> Unless the mystery man turns out to be quite a surprise, am I alone in
> thinking this move absolutely insane on the Expos part?
>
> 					David Rubin
> 			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

I'm not so sure the Expos blew this one. All year they've had Terry
Francona sitting on the bench with no where to play him. Francona has
traditionally played very well in an every day role but been lousy off
the bench. What this trade really amounts to is a commitment to Francona
at firstbase for the next few years (he's a pretty good fielder at that
position too). Rather than just drop Driessen, the Expos have managed
to pick up a reasonably good pitcher and a bat to replace Francona's on
the bench.

It's also worth noting that Francona was not at all happy with his role
on the club and the Expos had, some time ago, promised to play him or
move him.

                                Bruce Gamble

pete@umcp-cs.UUCP (Pete Cottrell) (08/08/85)

>> In a stoke of genius ranking right up there with the Yankees` dumping of
>> Steve Kemp onto the Pirates earlier this year, the Pirates -- in one swoop
>> -- made themselves more attractive to potential buyers by trading
>> Hendrick, Candalaria, and Holland to California in exchange
>> for several young [read: cheap] players.
>
>I read about this one without being able to find out whom the Pirates
>received in return.  Anyone know?

According to the Post of August 3rd, the Pirates received outfielder
Mike Brown, 25; pitcher Pat Clements, 23, and another young player "who
will not be identified until until he clears waivers". Sorry, no updates.

As of trade time,

  <-----Brown		.268 BA in 60 games
  ----->Hendrick   	.230 BA in 69 games	age 35

  <-----Clements	5-0, 1 save, 3.34 ERA in 41 games
  ----->Candelaria	2-4, 9 saves, 3.64 ERA in 37 games	age 31
  ----->Holland		1-4, 5 saves, 3.45	age 31

As my friend Ed said:
"Who knows how things might turn out? It could be good for the Pirates,
and then again the Angels might clean up. It's hard to say...."

					Pete
					Baseball in '87
--
Call-Me:   Pete Cottrell, Univ. of Md. Comp. Sci. Dept.
UUCP:	   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!pete

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (M. A. Upmalis) (08/08/85)

In article <721@fisher.UUCP> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>I also noted that the Expos traded away Dan Driessen to the Giants
>(who already sold Rajsich back to the Cards, are now apparently giving
>up on Green, and are making a habit of obtaining first basemen from
>Montreal) for Bill Laksey, Scot Thompson, and Player To B. Named Later.
>Unless the mystery man turns out to be quite a surprise, am I alone in
>thinking this move absolutely insane on the Expos part?

Driessan was not happy. While losing depth the Expos are giving
more playing time to Terry Francona who was a promising outfielder
till he did in his body on the outfield wall.
If he steadies down and takes this opportunity his production
will go up and the team may be more cohesive...
What to do with unhappy players?

--
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

		ihnp4!watmath!watarts!mupmalis

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (08/08/85)

> > In a stoke of genius ranking right up there with the Yankees` dumping of
> > Steve Kemp onto the Pirates earlier this year, the Pirates -- in one swoop
> > -- made themselves more attractive to potential buyers by trading
> > Hendrick, Candalaria, and Holland to California in exchange
> > for several young [read: cheap] players.
>
> I read about this one without being able to find out whom the Pirates
> received in return.  Anyone know?

They received Mike Brown (outfielder), Pat Clements (left-handed reliever)
and the ever-present player-to-be-named-later. In the two games before the
strike, Brown went 4-for-8, 1 RBI, 1 SB, and Clements pitched a couple of
scoreless innings. Could end up an OK trade for Pgh. Both are young, and
signed to contracts (unlike Holland).

> I also noted that the Expos traded away Dan Driessen to the Giants
> (who already sold Rajsich back to the Cards, are now apparently giving
> up on Green, and are making a habit of obtaining first basemen from
> Montreal) for Bill Laksey, Scot Thompson, and Player To B. Named Later.
> Unless the mystery man turns out to be quite a surprise, am I alone in
> thinking this move absolutely insane on the Expos part?

Sounds stupid to me, too, but maybe they know something we don't.