[net.sport.baseball] Dumb baseball commercials

bbaker@cadsys.UUCP (William Baker) (08/14/85)

	Has anyone heard those really stupid promotional
commercials advertising "Baseball, America's sport"?  They've been
running incessantly on one of the local AM stations.  I've heard
two different versions so far, one a grandfather taking his
grandson to a game ("I can remember when I took your father to his
first game...") and another with a mother taking two of her kids to
a game ("Son, when it comes to baseball, mother knows best").
	These commercials are so ludicrous that they sound a lot
like a put on, but they're not.  If you took the worst Madison
Avenue copy writers and stuffed them full of 'ludes, they still
could not write anything as trite and hackneyed as these
commercials.  I'm curious, though.  Are they running them just in
the Bay Area, or has anyone else had to suffer through them?

					Bill Baker
					intelca!cadsys!bbaker

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (08/18/85)

In article <130@cadsys.UUCP> bbaker@cadsys.UUCP (William Baker) writes:

>	Has anyone heard those really stupid promotional
>commercials advertising "Baseball, America's sport"?  They've been
>running incessantly on one of the local AM stations.  I've heard
>two different versions so far, one a grandfather taking his
>grandson to a game ("I can remember when I took your father to his
>first game...") and another with a mother taking two of her kids to
>a game ("Son, when it comes to baseball, mother knows best").
>	These commercials are so ludicrous that they sound a lot
>like a put on, but they're not.  If you took the worst Madison
>Avenue copy writers and stuffed them full of 'ludes, they still
>could not write anything as trite and hackneyed as these
>commercials.  I'm curious, though.  Are they running them just in
>the Bay Area, or has anyone else had to suffer through them?
>
>					Bill Baker
>					intelca!cadsys!bbaker
I havent heard the radio ad's, but the TV ones are exactly the same. Boring,
stupid, insipid, and populated by totally unbelievable characters. And this
comming after last years ad's ( Baseball Fever ) which feature cheering
crowds, the crack of the ball hitting the bat, etc. and *NO TALKING*. They
certainly made me want to go see a game. Maybe if we start a letter writing
campain they will go back to the old ones.

Bob Weiler.