[net.sport.baseball] No-hitter/BA stays the same

halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) (08/14/85)

How about an opening day no-hitter?  (I don't know if it has ever happened.)

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (08/14/85)

How can a pitcher no-hit a team, but the team BA stays the same?

Two ways quickly pop into my mind, neither of which is reasonable:

1) The team BA was .000 coming into the game.

2) Each out is made by throwing out a baserunner; and all baserunners
   got on base without being charged with a time at-bat.
   Example: Every batter walks and is thrown out trying to steal.

						Dave Van Handel
						drutx!djvh

mlt@mb2c.UUCP (Mark L. Tompkins) (08/15/85)

> How about an opening day no-hitter?  (I don't know if it has ever happened.)

I believe Cleveland's Bob Feller tossed an opening day no-hitter in the 40's.
If I remember correctly, it was the year he returned from the service, which
would have made it Opening Day 1946.  Anyone know for sure?

Mark Tompkins

glass@houxf.UUCP (K.GLASS) (08/16/85)

Is a team's batting average = .000 before the season begins?  I
think that 0/0 is not all that well defined whereas 0/27 [or
whatever] is well defined.  Are these two really equal?

Ken Glass
...ihnp4

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (08/19/85)

In article <594@hou2b.UUCP> halle@hou2b.UUCP (J.HALLE) writes:
>How about an opening day no-hitter?  (I don't know if it has ever happened.)

Bob Feller once threw an opening-day no-hitter.  Since I don't keep my
Sporting News Official Baseball Record Book next to my terminal, I don't
know the year.  I do, however, know that it is the only one.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

rhoads@oasys.UUCP (08/21/85)

> 2) Each out is made by throwing out a baserunner; and all baserunners
>    got on base without being charged with a time at-bat.
>    Example: Every batter walks and is thrown out trying to steal.

This sort of thing could also happen with Sac Bunts (so the run scores,
there is nothing in the rules that says this pitcher has to WIN his
no-hitter, is there?) or SAC flies. i.e. a walk, a steal, a SAC fly,
a SAC bunt, another walk, and a throw out stealing scores a run in an
inning with no at-bats charged, and no hits.

Of course, this is probably just as silly.

rhoads@oasys.UUCP (08/21/85)

> Is a team's batting average = .000 before the season begins?  I
> think that 0/0 is not all that well defined whereas 0/27 [or
> whatever] is well defined.  Are these two really equal?
>
> Ken Glass
> ...ihnp4

One could probably argue just as well that a team's B.A. is  1.000
on opening day, as they have a hit for every time at bat, but this
is just as incorrect (or correct?) mathematically, although what does
the rulebook say?  However, a SECOND DAY no-hitter after an opening day
no-hitter would definetly keep the other team's B.A. the same, as both
0/27 [or whatever] and  0/54 [or whatever] are both well-defined.
  Unfortunately, Feller was never allowed to pitch two days in a row (of
course if started to rain on opening night (AFTER the game) and rained
for 40 days and 40 nights...)