[net.sport.baseball] '85 Cardinals/MVP

djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) (08/22/85)

>                  Just look at the seasons some of his Cardinals are having:
> McGee, Herr, Andujar, Tudor, Clark, Cox, and Coleman are all queuing up for
> MVP honors.

If Dwight Gooden doesn't win the National League MVP award following the
season he is having, something is seriously wrong with the system.

						Dave Van Handel
						drutx!djvh

michaelf@ISM780.UUCP (08/28/85)

	   I don't think any pitcher deserves to win the MVP.
       That is why God created Cy Young. If you can give it to a pitcher
       who a pitcher who helps your team win 25 games or so, why not
       give it to a pinch-hitter who bats .385 during the season,
       coming up with a timely hit every few games. Don't get me wrong,
       Gooden is an absolute marvel ( 20-3, in two of his three losses,
       he was pulled only to have the reliever credit Gooden with the loss),
       but I think the MVP is for daily players not part-timers.

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (08/28/85)

In article <255@drutx.UUCP> djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) writes:
>If Dwight Gooden doesn't win the National League MVP award following the
>season he is having, something is seriously wrong with the system.
>						Dave Van Handel
>						drutx!djvh

Considering how young Gooden is, I'd say he'll probably get it.  (another
plus for him is that he's playing in New York...  the east and west coast
teams usually get the most publicity)

But let's not forget who the first pitcher was to win 20 games this season?
(hint: it wasn't Gooden)  Or how many Cardinals have been close to the top
in batting (& base stealing?) most of the season?  But then again, St. Louis
is no where near either coast, so, as usual, they probably won't get the
recognition they deserve.  (who was the ding-dong on the net who called the
Cardinals "pretenders" a few weeks back?  geeminity...  talk about space
cadet...)

Mail and flames expected...  Stupid flames will be returned.

		Craig
--
	Craig Miller, consultant
	..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (08/29/85)

In article <498@busch.UUCP>, Craig Miller writes:
> In article <255@drutx.UUCP> djvh@drutx.UUCP (VanHandelDJ) writes:
> >If Dwight Gooden doesn't win the National League MVP award following the
> >season he is having, something is seriously wrong with the system.
>
> Considering how young Gooden is, I'd say he'll probably get it.  (another
> plus for him is that he's playing in New York...  the east and west coast
> teams usually get the most publicity)
>
> But let's not forget who the first pitcher was to win 20 games this season?
> (hint: it wasn't Gooden)  Or how many Cardinals have been close to the top
> in batting (& base stealing?) most of the season?  But then again, St. Louis
> is no where near either coast, so, as usual, they probably won't get the
> recognition they deserve.  (who was the ding-dong on the net who called the
> Cardinals "pretenders" a few weeks back?  geeminity...  talk about space
> cadet...)

I am an avid Mets fan.  I hope that Dwight does not get the MVP.  I want
to see him get the Cy Young Award (and he almost certainly will, look at
the categories he leads the majors in!), but in my opinion, and here comes
another can of worms, MVP should go to an everyday player, not a pitcher.
(While I'm at it, the Cy Young should go to a starter.)

Who was the first major leaguer to win 20?  Sure it was Joaquin, but big
deal.  He pitches on 3 days rest, not 4.  Therefore, he has 20% more
starts than Dwight, and so lots more time to accumulate these stats.
Nevertheless, who leads in strikeouts?  Winning percentage?  Wins?
(sure they're tied, but that's ok)  ERA?  Dr. K, of
course.  I don't believe that his being in NYC has added anything to
any of these stats.  He is, quite simply, the best pitcher in baseball
today.  And he is (need I say it?) just 20 years old!  What a future he
will have!

I could continue ranting (my rants get raves!), but I'll let someone
else take over.

--Evan Marcus
--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so wonderful,
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so different,
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny,
More raisins, lots more raisins, more raisins than you have ever seen before.
If you like raisins, lots more raisins, you'll like Post Raisin Bran mo-o-ore.

It's probably Post's trademark, but do you care?

radio@spuxll.UUCP (Rick Farina) (08/30/85)

>>If Dwight Gooden doesn't win the National League MVP award following the
>>season he is having, something is seriously wrong with the system.

>Considering how young Gooden is, I'd say he'll probably get it.  (another
>plus for him is that he's playing in New York...  the east and west coast
>teams usually get the most publicity)...
>...But let's not forget who the first pitcher was to win 20 games this season?
>(hint: it wasn't Gooden)  Or how many Cardinals have been close to the top
>in batting (& base stealing?) most of the season?  But then again, St. Louis
>is no where near either coast, so, as usual, they probably won't get the
>recognition they deserve.

I shouldn't even bother replying to this balderdash, but I just can't
resist. There is another side to the coin of "the east and west coast
teams usually get the most publicity" -- they are also subjected to the
most PRESSURE TO WIN. I have seen some very good ball players
fail in New York because they couldn't hack the simple fact of life here
that their collar in last night's game would make the OpEd Page
of today's New York Times.

The coast teams have more millions of paying and scrutinizing fans
breathing down their necks -- that means alot more voices screaming for
the manager's head every time the ace reliever blows a lead.
And in his next appearance, you can bet the farm that
the ace reliever will be greeted with even LOUDER boos.

So you want the recognition that the teams and players
in the media centers "unjustly" get, huh?

Can you pay the price?

raf
---

stevev@tekchips.UUCP (Steve Vegdahl) (08/30/85)

> Who was the first major leaguer to win 20?  Sure it was Joaquin, but big
> deal.  He pitches on 3 days rest, not 4.  Therefore, he has 20% more
> starts than Dwight, and so lots more time to accumulate these stats.

On the other hand, one can argue that a high-quality starting pitcher
who can do it on three days rest is more valuable than a higher-quality
one who requires four days rest, particularly down the stretch and in
the playoffs.  Who can forget the '68 series when McClain and Lolich
won games 6 and 7 with only two days rest each?

		Steve Vegdahl
		Computer Research Lab.
		Tektronix, Inc.
		Beaverton, Oregon

roth@im4u.UUCP (Mark Roth) (08/31/85)

The east or west coast doesn't always get the attention for MVP.  Look
at last year when Chicago's Rich Sutcliffe got the NL Cy Young Award and
Ryne Sandberg got the NL MVP.  If the Cardinals win the east and a couple
of their stars end the year with a bang, they could do the same thing.