[net.sport.baseball] Dr. K, MVP, Cy Young!

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (08/30/85)

> I am an avid Mets fan.  I hope that Dwight does not get the MVP.  I want
> to see him get the Cy Young Award (and he almost certainly will, look at
> the categories he leads the majors in!), but in my opinion, and here comes
> another can of worms, MVP should go to an everyday player, not a pitcher.
> (While I'm at it, the Cy Young should go to a starter.)

Good point! Wasn't the original concept of the Cy Young award to give the
pitcher a separate honor so that the everyday player would get MVP(at least
in most cases). I'm not taking anything away from Dr. K (and I'm not a Met
fan either), but I think there are many other everyday players that deserve
a shot at being MVP (Keith Hernandez, just to name one). Dwight is an
excellent young pitcher with a great future, barring injury, and although
I don't root for the Mets like I do the Yankees, I would hate to see this
gentleman not continue to pitch with such finesse and power! It is enter-
taining to me as an avid baseball fan to watch Dr. K work on the mound.
I hope to see him pitch in a World Series and see how he handles bigger
pressure. Good-en luck Mets!

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (09/01/85)

"If Guerrero isn't the most valuable player in the league, it's fixed"
-- Enos Cabell

"Guerrero definitely deserves the MVP" -- Dale Murphy

Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit;
and this guy also has impressive statistics, at the top of most
offensive catergories (this would satisfy both Paul Benjamin,
who likes winner, and David Rubin, a statistic diehard).
No wonder Guerrero is so bitter that he doesn't get the recognition
he deserves.

--
					Eddy Lor
					...!(ihnp4,ucbvax)!ucla-cs!lor

abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) (09/02/85)

>              ... I think there are many other everyday players that deserve
> a shot at being MVP (Keith Hernandez, just to name one).

Keith Hernandez ?!! At this time, the choice for NL MVP (assuming we exclude
pitchers) is obviously Pedro Guerrero. Not only has he been the best
hitter in the league but remember that the award is for the Most VALUABLE
Player (where would the Dodgers be without Guerrero).

--

                           Bruce Gamble  -  abgamble@water.UUCP

radio@spuxll.UUCP (Rick Farina) (09/04/85)

>  "If Guerrero isn't the most valuable player in the league, it's fixed"
>  -- Enos Cabell
>
>  "Guerrero definitely deserves the MVP" -- Dale Murphy

Well there you have it: out of more than 600 players in MLB, two
think Guerrero deserves the MVP. That's two votes for, 598+ unknown.
Sounds like a hands-down victory to me.

Why don't we just wait until the NL division winners are decided?
The MVP will come from one of those two teams anyway.

>  Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
>  all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
>  Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
>  Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit;

Fans "from the east" have a right to bandy about the names of numerous Mets
and Cardinals for MVP honors -- the Eastern Division is quite simply
vastly superior to the West this season. Both the Mets and Cardinals
have a good shot at winning 100 games; the Dodgers have merely
had to fend off the upstart Reds and the wounded Padres.
Even though the Dodgers have been getting fat all season off teams like
the Giants, Braves, Reds, and Astros, they still aren't likely to
win 100 games -- a national disgrace!

The fact is that Gooden will have many MVPs to his
credit before his career is done, this season notwithstanding.
He is, afterall, only 20. On the other hand, Guerrero has toiled for
many seasons, and is arguably in his peak years.
Besides, he had a great June.

Yes, I too would rather see Pedro get the MVP. It's only fair.

raf
---

bulko@ut-sally.UUCP (William C. Bulko) (09/05/85)

In article <6756@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Kar-Wing Lor) writes:

>Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
>all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
>Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
>Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit. . .

Welllll. . .although I have to agree that Guerrero deserves to be in the
running for the MVP, I wouldn't say that he has single-handedly carried the
Dodgers.  After all, the Dodger pitching staff has the best ERA in the major
leagues (which is saying a lot considering the 1985 Cardinals are ALSO in the
major leagues!) and the Dodgers have been among the top three teams in batting
average in the NL for the past month or two.  Now, I don't want to get
involved in the discussion about statistics that's been going on in this
newsgroup, but it's JUST MY OPINION that the Dodgers aren't a one-man team.
By the way, are they making fewer errors now per game than they were at the
start of the season, or is it just my imagination?

		    "To err is human;  to admit it is not."
Bill Bulko					Department of Computer Sciences
The University of Texas         {ihnp4,harvard,gatech,ctvax,seismo}!sally!bulko

bob@pedsgd.UUCP (Robert A. Weiler) (09/05/85)

In article <6756@ucla-cs.ARPA> lor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Kar-Wing Lor) writes:

>"If Guerrero isn't the most valuable player in the league, it's fixed"
>-- Enos Cabell
>
>"Guerrero definitely deserves the MVP" -- Dale Murphy
>
>Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
>all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
>Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
>Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit;
>and this guy also has impressive statistics, at the top of most
>offensive catergories (this would satisfy both Paul Benjamin,
>who likes winner, and David Rubin, a statistic diehard).
>No wonder Guerrero is so bitter that he doesn't get the recognition
>he deserves.

Ok, I'll bite. First off I agree with you, and Murphy, and Cabell. As of
right now there can be no other choice for MVP than Guerrero. I also
agree with Mr Marcus that the award should go to an everyday player.
However, as for single-handedness, dont you think the Dodger pitchers
deserve at least a little bit of the credit? I mean, they only lead
the league in team era, probably shutouts also. They have been doing
their job the entire year, not just since June. As for Guerrero being
bitter, this is the first Ive heard of it. Nor have I ever heard anybody
say anything except that he is an exceptional athlete, just not a
very good third baseman. Guerrero apparently agrees, so what has he
got to be bitter about? BTW, gonna be a great series this weekend,
(NY-LA)!! Dont nobody blink.

Bob Weiler.

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (09/05/85)

> "If Guerrero isn't the most valuable player in the league, it's fixed"
> -- Enos Cabell
>
> "Guerrero definitely deserves the MVP" -- Dale Murphy
>
> Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
> all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
> Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
> Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit;
> and this guy also has impressive statistics, at the top of most
> offensive catergories (this would satisfy both Paul Benjamin,
> who likes winner, and David Rubin, a statistic diehard).
> No wonder Guerrero is so bitter that he doesn't get the recognition
> he deserves.
>
> 					Eddy Lor

You're right! I am satisfied. Guerrero's surge has meant the
difference between a comfortable lead and also-ran status for
the Dodgers. No other single player seems to stick out in this
fashion. I'm 100% for Guerrero.
					Paul Benjamin

abgamble@water.UUCP (abgamble) (09/06/85)

> The fact is that Gooden will have many MVPs to his
> credit before his career is done, this season notwithstanding.

The first name that comes to mind is Mark Fidrych. The fact that a
player starts his career with a bang does not insure success for
years to come.

> He is, afterall, only 20. On the other hand, Guerrero has toiled for
> many seasons, and is arguably in his peak years.
> Besides, he had a great June.

This idea of giving an award to player A because player B "is young and
will have lots of other opertunities", has always bothered me. Any
award should be given to the most deserving player and no other factor
should be considered.

--

                           Bruce Gamble  -  abgamble@water.UUCP

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/09/85)

>> Well, it seems like when the fans from the east talk about the MVP,
>> all they have in mind is Gooden, Andujar, Hernandez, and other
>> Mets. They simply ignore a guy who single-handedly carried the
>> Dodgers to a seven-game lead (as of 8/31) from a five-game deficit;
>> and this guy also has impressive statistics, at the top of most
>> offensive catergories (this would satisfy both Paul Benjamin,
>> who likes winner, and David Rubin, a statistic diehard).
>> No wonder Guerrero is so bitter that he doesn't get the recognition
>> he deserves.
>> 					Eddy Lor

> You're right! I am satisfied. Guerrero's surge has meant the
> difference between a comfortable lead and also-ran status for
> the Dodgers. No other single player seems to stick out in this
> fashion. I'm 100% for Guerrero.
> 					Paul Benjamin

I, too, currently favor Guerrero for the MVP; while he trails McGee by
a good 50 points in BA, does not lead in HR's, R's, RBI's, or any of
the "traditional" stats, his offensive prowess is still demonstrable:
he leads the NL in both OBA and SA.  This while playing in a park that
cannot be said to favor the offense (Over all, that is: apparently,
Dodger Stadium has the same Jeckyll-Hyde personality displayed by Shea:
a hitter's park by day, a pitcher's park by night.  At least that's
what Joe and Vin say.) He is by far the most productive offensive
player in the NL this year; he could still be playing the butcher at'
third base and I'd still pick him for that award...

					David Rubin