[net.sport.baseball] IS this possible?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/31/85)

Here's one for you:  Is it possible to have a perfect game where
the winning team commits an error?  Think about it...
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

"If she doesn't scream, the wedding can take place!" Doctor
"Don't I have a say in the matter?" female companion
"Be quiet" Doctor
Which companion, what story?

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (09/02/85)

In article <840@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:

>Here's one for you:  Is it possible to have a perfect game where
>the winning team commits an error?  Think about it...
>--
>James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess that if a batter hit
a catchable foul pop that a fielder dropped, that fielder would be given
an error even if the batter were retired on a subsequent pitch.  If twenty-
seven batters came to the plate without any reaching first base, this would
still be a perfect game.

Since there have been so few perfect games, it's quite possible that this has
never happenned.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

ogre@whuts.UUCP (LOCOCO) (09/03/85)

> Here's one for you:  Is it possible to have a perfect game where
> the winning team commits an error?  Think about it...
> --
> James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

How about a fielder dropping a foul ball(getting an error) and the
batter is subsequently put out on another play?

     \   /
    |\\ / |
    | \|  |
    |  |\ |
    |  | \|
				John B. Lo Coco
				(...whuts!ogre)
				(...szuxn!ogre)
				1-201-467-7436

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (09/04/85)

> >Here's one for you:  Is it possible to have a perfect game where
> >the winning team commits an error?  Think about it...

> Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess that if a batter hit
> a catchable foul pop that a fielder dropped, that fielder would be given
> an error even if the batter were retired on a subsequent pitch.  If twenty-
> seven batters came to the plate without any reaching first base, this would
> still be a perfect game.

I thought that if the batter was retired there would not be an error
charged to the fielder who dropped the foul ball because no one was
allowed to reach base or advance a base due to the fielder's miscue.
Does anyone know for sure?

						Joseph M. Dakes
						AT&T Bell Laboratories
						Reading, PA
						rduxb!jmd

Here's to a Big Apple series?  Mets vs Yanks!

wjp@whuts.UUCP (PENSCHOW) (09/05/85)

> > >Is it possible to have a perfect game where the winning team commits an
> > >error?
>
> > I would guess that if a batter hit a catchable foul pop that a fielder
> > dropped, that fielder would be given an error even if the batter were
> > retired on a subsequent pitch.
>
> I thought that if the batter was retired there would not be an error
> charged to the fielder who dropped the foul ball because no one was
> allowed to reach base or advance a base due to the fielder's miscue.
>
> 						Joseph M. Dakes

The fielder is given an error for prolonging the time at bat wether or not
the batter reaches base safely.

                                                  Bill Penschow

Yes! I would sure like to see a "subway" series again.  The Mets in 6 if it
does happen.

citrin@ucbvax.ARPA (Wayne Citrin) (09/06/85)

In article <272@whuts.UUCP> wjp@whuts.UUCP (Bill Penschow) writes:

>The fielder is given an error for prolonging the time at bat whether or not
>the batter reaches base safely.

Actually, the error has nothing to do with prolonging the batter's at bat,
or whether or not the batter reaches base safely, or whether or not a run
scores because of the error.  The fielder gets an error because a catchable
foul pop is a chance offered to the fielder (i.e., a chance
to make a putout) and the fielder blew it.  When computing fielding average,
all chances to make a putout or assist are considered, and on an easy foul
pop, a putout must be assumed by the scorer.  Hence the error.

Wayne Citrin
(ucbvax!citrin)

In article <840@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:

>Here's one for you:  Is it possible to have a perfect game where
>the winning team commits an error?  Think about it...

Of course.  Just drop a foul ball.

usenet@ucbvax.ARPA (Phil Lapsley) (09/10/85)

How about if the first batter gets on by an error, the pitcher complains so
much he gets thrown out of the game, the relief pitcher picks the guy off
first and then retires the last 26 batters?  Yes, this would count as a
perfect game -- in fact, it happened with a walk instead of an error
(in 1916 I think, for the Red Sox, and I think the two pitchers were
Babe Ruth and Eddie [Ernie?] Shore).

jon