[net.sport.baseball] Tom Terrific!

wlb@rruxo.UUCP (B Boutin) (09/11/85)

Well, maybe this belongs in net.rumors but as of 2 pm EST,
if no-one else claims Tom Terrific Seaver (since the
White Sox put him on waiver), off to the NEW YORK
YANKEES Tom goes.  They are the only one that claimed him.

This may mean that Tom will be pitching AGAINST the NY Mets
in the World Series if the Yankees and Mets win their
respective leagues.

Interesting!?

GO METS!!!

--
Bill Boutin, Bell Communications Research, Inc.,
444 Hoes Lane, Room 4D-336, Piscataway, NJ, 08854

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (09/12/85)

>Well, maybe this belongs in net.rumors but as of 2 pm EST,
>if no-one else claims Tom Terrific Seaver (since the
>White Sox put him on waiver), off to the NEW YORK
>YANKEES Tom goes.  They are the only one that claimed him.

As of this morning (9/12) Seaver will remain with the White Sox.
They put Seaver on waivers to see who was interested in him and
as soon as he was claimed (by the Yankees only) they removed him
from the waiver list.  They then tried to work out a trade but
apparently it fell through.  I suspect Chicago was trying to get
rid of his big salary if they could get someone decent in return.
--
     Bernie Dougan
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/12/85)

When the Yankees claimed Seaver, they started a clock.  At the
expiration of that clock, the White Sox had to

	(1) Withdraw Seaver from waivers,
	(2) Trade him to the Yankees, or
	(3) Release him outright.

Apparently, the Yankees did not offer enough, as the Sox went with
(1).  Moreover, since they withdrew him from waivers, they may not
place him on waivers for the rest of the year, i.e. he will stay on
the Sox the rest of the season.

Final note: Seaver would not have been permitted to pitch after the
season, as the Yankees would have acquired him AFTER August 31.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

evan@petfe.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (09/12/85)

In <321@rruxo.UUCP> B Boutin writes:
> ... if no-one else claims Tom Seaver (since the
> White Sox put him on waiver), off to the NEW YORK
> YANKEES Tom goes.  They are the only ones that claimed him.
>
> This may mean that Tom will be pitching AGAINST the NY Mets
> in the World Series if the Yankees and Mets win their
> respective leagues.  ^

  GO METS!!!           \--- when, not if

First of all, as you probably know by now, Seaver was pulled from waivers.
But, if he had been picked up, he could NOT have pitched in the
series against the Mets.  You must be on the roster before September 1
to play in post-season games, barring special dispensation from the
league office.  (If Guidry got hurt, then they could ask MacPhail (is he
still AL Pres?) to permit Tom to play.)  This is mostly because on
September 1 the roster limit goes up to 40, and lots of minor leaguers
get brought up.  They may not play in the playoffs.

--Evan Marcus

--
{ucbvax|decvax}!vax135!petsd!petfe!evan
                         ...!pedsgd!pedsga!evan

There was a major earthquake today in the tiny African country of Togo...

jmd@rduxb.UUCP (Joseph M. Dakes) (09/12/85)

> This may mean that Tom will be pitching AGAINST the NY Mets
> in the World Series if the Yankees and Mets win their
> respective leagues.
>
> Interesting!?

Yes, but not possible.  If Seaver does go to the Yankees he will not
qualify for postseason play.  The Yanks need help in the pitching
department and Seaver would be a boost for them down the home stretch
in the race for the AL East.

Speaking of the AL East, I think the Yankees experience in pennant
race situations and the Jays lack of it will be a deciding factor.

											Joseph M. Dakes
											AT&T Bell Laboratories
											Reading, PA
											rduxb!jmd
P.S.
Here's looking to a Gooden vs Guidry matchup in the WS?

P.P.S.
Watch now the Jays will sweep all 4 at Yankee Stadium this weekend:-)

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (09/13/85)

>P.P.S.
>Watch now the Jays will sweep all 4 at Yankee Stadium this weekend:-)

I doubt it highly this Friday morning!  (6 runs on two hits????)
--
James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

It is a highly directional ultrasonic beam of rock and roll!  It kills!

-who said it, what story?

cjsgro@watrose.UUCP (Carlo Sgro) (09/15/85)

as of tonight, the yanks had dropped two in a row to the jays.  they are

currently 3.5 back (i think) and need to win tomorrow to split the series.

go jays!!!

--
---
Carlo Sgro

Formerly: ...!watmath!watcgl!electro!carlo
and Also: ...!ihnp4!chinet!dagwood

"ihnp4 Express:  Overnight to the USA or you don't pay!"

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (09/18/85)

> Well, maybe this belongs in net.rumors but as of 2 pm EST,
> if no-one else claims Tom Terrific Seaver (since the
> White Sox put him on waiver), off to the NEW YORK
> YANKEES Tom goes.  They are the only one that claimed him.

I thought the team that puts any player on waivers has the
right to match an offer by the claiming team?

It doesn't make sense to me but.....

gates@bdmrrr.UUCP (Al Gates) (09/18/85)

> >P.P.S.
> >Watch now the Jays will sweep all 4 at Yankee Stadium this weekend:-)
>
> I doubt it highly this Friday morning!  (6 runs on two hits????)
> --
> James C. Armstrong, Jnr.	{ihnp4,cbosgd,akgua}!abnji!nyssa

Toronto now leads by five games.  Enough said.

--