[net.sport.baseball] What teams have never made post-season play? and 1981 Strike

martin@aecom.UUCP (Martin Klaman) (09/19/85)

> made it to post-season play is Texas.  Montreal has never won a pennant
> but did appear in the NLCS in 1981 (year of the strike).  They lost to
> the Dodgers in that series.

It should be pointed out that Montreal won the division that year by
only  * 1/2 *  game over the Cardinals.  The decision was made to only
count the remaining games after the strike and to disregard all previous
games.  I do not not recall whether the Cardinals lost one more game
or Montreal won one more.  However, at the beginning of the strike,
the Cards were leading the division by about two games.

brsmith@wateng.UUCP (Brian R. Smith) (09/23/85)

In article <1912@aecom.UUCP> martin@aecom.UUCP (Martin Klaman) writes:
>> made it to post-season play is Texas.  Montreal has never won a pennant
>> but did appear in the NLCS in 1981 (year of the strike).  They lost to
>> the Dodgers in that series.
>
>It should be pointed out that Montreal won the division that year by
>only  * 1/2 *  game over the Cardinals.  The decision was made to only
>count the remaining games after the strike and to disregard all previous
>games.  I do not not recall whether the Cardinals lost one more game
>or Montreal won one more.  However, at the beginning of the strike,
>the Cards were leading the division by about two games.

Not quite.
The Phillies were in 1st place when the strike was called, and were later
declared the first half season division winners.  Montreal won the
second half season and went on to defeat the Phillies in a division
playoff.  However, the Cards did have the best combined first-half,
second-half record in the division (and I think perhaps in the majors)
in 1981, but were shafted because of the strike.

-- Brian Smith

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/24/85)

>> made it to post-season play is Texas.  Montreal has never won a pennant
>> but did appear in the NLCS in 1981 (year of the strike).  They lost to
>> the Dodgers in that series.

> It should be pointed out that Montreal won the division that year by
> only  * 1/2 *  game over the Cardinals.  The decision was made to only
> count the remaining games after the strike and to disregard all previous
> games.  I do not not recall whether the Cardinals lost one more game
> or Montreal won one more.  However, at the beginning of the strike,
> the Cards were leading the division by about two games.

Incorrect.  The Cards were both better and worse in 1981 than
suggested here.  The Cards won NEITHER half of the 1981 split season
(the Expos played the Phils for the divisional title), so could NOT
have been leading at the time of the strike: no games were disregarded
when the season was split.  However, the Cards had the best record in
the division over the course of both halves.  They, like the Reds the
same year, amassed the best overall record without winning either
half-season.

					David Rubin