[net.sport.baseball] Div, CLS, and WS Winners since 1969

jwz@ttrdc.UUCP (James Zubert) (09/18/85)

HOWDY!

     The following is a list of the divisional winners, LCS winners, and
WS winners since divisional play began in 1969.  The teams in CAPITAL letters
are the CLS winners followed by the number of games (n) it took for them to win
the playoffs.  The asterisk "*n" denotes the WS winner and the number of games
it took for them to win the championship.

		   AMERICAN                              NATIONAL
	    EAST             WEST                 EAST             WEST

1969    BALTIMORE (3)     Minnesota        *5 NY METS (3)       Atlanta
1970 *5 BALTIMORE (3)     Minnesota           Pittsburgh        CINCINNATI (3)
1971    BALTIMORE (3)     Oakland          *7 PITTSBURGH (4)    San Fransisco
1972    Detroit        *7 OAKLAND (5)         Pittsburgh        CINCINNATI (5)
1973    Baltimore      *7 OAKLAND (5)         NY METS (5)       Cincinnati
1974    Baltimore      *5 OAKLAND (4)         Pittsburgh        LA DODGERS (4)
1975    BOSTON (3)        Oakland             Pittsburgh     *7 CINCINNATI (3)
1976    NY YANKEES (5)    Kansas City         Philadelphia   *4 CINCINNATI (3)
1977 *6 NY YANKEES (5)    Kansas City         Philadelphia      LA DODGERS (4)
1978 *6 NY YANKEES (4)    Kansas City         Philadelphia      LA DODGERS (4)
1979    BALTIMORE (4)     California       *7 PITTSBURGH (3)    Cincinnati
1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers
1981    NY - Milw         Oak - KC            Mont - Phily      Hou - LA
	NY YANKEES (4)    Oakland             Montreal       *6 LA DODGERS (5)
1982    MILWAUKEE (5)     California       *7 ST. LOUIS (3)     Atlanta
1983 *5 BALTIMORE (4)     Chi White Sox       PHILADELPHIA (5)  LA Dodgers
1984 *5 DETROIT (3)       Kansas City         Chi Cubs          SAN DIEGO (5)

     Hope I don't ruin any possible trivia questions!

     jcs at  ihnp4!ttrdc!jwz

tom@tommif.UUCP (Tom Faulhaber) (09/22/85)

In article <438@ttrdc.UUCP>, jwz@ttrdc.UUCP (James Zubert) writes:
> 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers

The Houston Astros won the NL west in '80.  The LCS that year was certainly
the best I ever saw.

	Tom Faulhaber
	...!decwrl!greipa!tommif!tom

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/23/85)

> 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers

I distinctly recall that the Astros, not the Dodgers, won the NL West
in 1980.  I do so because that Astro-Phillie LCS was the most exciting
series in my memory...

					David Rubin

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (09/23/85)

> 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers

I should also note that it was a five game series.

						David Rubin

bd@peora.UUCP (Bernie Dougan) (09/24/85)

>> 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers
>
>I should also note that it was a five game series.
>
>                                                David Rubin

Also, didn't the Yankees get swept by KC that year?
--
     Bernie Dougan
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

johnp@ihuxf.UUCP (John Schleicher) (09/24/85)

> > 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers
>
> I distinctly recall that the Astros, not the Dodgers, won the NL West
> in 1980.  I do so because that Astro-Phillie LCS was the most exciting
> series in my memory...
>
> 					David Rubin

Since there seems to be some concern over that accuracy of the 1980 entry, it
should be noted that Kansas City swept the Yankees in 3 games (5 game
series).

					John Schleicher

roy@hpmtla.UUCP (roy) (09/27/85)

>> 1980    NY Yankees        KANSAS CITY (4)  *6 PHILADELPHIA (4)  LA Dodgers
>
>I should also note that it was a five game series.
>
>						David Rubin

... and four of them went extra innings...

Roy